Home Forums Television 2017 Creative Arts Emmys (Saturday Edition)

2017 Creative Arts Emmys (Saturday Edition)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 166 through 171 (of 171 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

Great wins for 13th!

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I was burned by my late switches away from the Oscars in directing and away from Carpool Karaoke. The special class split is too difficult to comprehend. What it does demonstrate is that the new system is not always going to make for mini sweeps, even when vote-splitting is not a factor (Game of Thrones, The Daily Show, Olive Kitteridge). Especially with the Tonys having fallen out of directing the last couple years, I really thought that the Tonys (and the Kennedy Center Honors) were done, so I do not know what to make of this. I got that they cleaned up under the tape system because they are well-produced shows, but there are no tapes anymore. Is it just that the Golden Globes were snubbed for the first year in many, so there was less vote-splitting among the award shows?

The Born This Way casting upset is really something. The simple explanation is that it was the apple in the bag of oranges, which in this case meant that it was the only nominee that was not a competition show. But was Project Runway really taking many votes from Drag Race? And who says that Born This Way was taking many votes anyway, if it could not win its program category? I have not seen Born This Way, but it definitely sounds the least like a cinematography winner out of all of the reality nominees, so how did it win that?

Seth MacFarlane and Meryl Streep, eh? The Emmys are feeling their stars. Overall though, I was pleasantly surprised because the Emmys subverted the online tie-ins of Drag Race and Saturday Night Live.

Supposed quality nominee Bob’s Burgers defeats tired incumbent Archer, but Adventure Time holds off Steven Universe? This lack of internal logic makes predictions hard.

I thought that I was so clever for switching to Saturday Night Live for writing, but I have to go back now. Not only did the writers go with Samantha Bee over the Tonys, but Last Week Tonight overcame vote-splitting twice to defeat Saturday Night Live. It was up against itself in editing; Interactive Program was a contest between SNL and four talk shows, including Full Frontal. The others admittedly were James Corden and Jimmy Fallon, which are probably not drawing votes from John Oliver like Seth Meyers and Stephen Colbert are in writing, but I was a little skeptical of SNL anyway, since it lost PGA to Oliver. It could have done better at the Creative Arts, going five for seventeen.

ReplyCopy URL
    EvaSofie
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m so happy for Ava DuVernay and 13th, it was robbed of the Oscar and my heart broke when they showed her disappointed face when she lost. She got her redemption.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m so happy for Ava DuVernay and 13th, it was robbed of the Oscar and my heart broke when they showed her disappointed face when she lost. She got her redemption.

I love how they made room for both Ezra and Ava to win Emmys in different categories this year. I wonder if the Oscars should add Documentary Writing and Directing categories as well.

I wanted I Am Not Your Negro to win the Oscar, yet I was fine with O.J. winning, even though it was and still is in my eyes a television show.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

I still don’t understand how OJ lost Documentary filmmaking, even when winning for directing, and to a show that was on no body’s radar. I want to know who the 2 people were that predicted LA 92 to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I still don’t understand how OJ lost Documentary filmmaking, even when winning for directing, and to a show that was on no body’s radar. I want to know who the 2 people were that predicted LA 92 to win.

I actually had heard really good reviews for LA 92, although I still had it in 4th place because of the intense competition. I think O.J. lost the Program race because its winning the Oscar in spite of being a multiple episode television show really divided people.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 6 posts - 166 through 171 (of 171 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.