Home Forums Television 2017 Creative Arts Emmys (Sunday Edition)

2017 Creative Arts Emmys (Sunday Edition)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 345 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +10 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • film2counselor
    Participant
    Topics:

Aunt Lydia is coming for that upset.

Ann Dowd definitely for the win. Sadly, I feel that Samira was nominated for the wrong show. She’s good in Handmaid’s but was stellar in OITNB. I think the voters knew that as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sean C
    Participant
    Topics:

Somewhat belatedly, I find it odd that so many people are critical of Stranger Things winning Main Title Design. “Best” is not the same as “most”; ST’s main title design is simple, but it’s evocative, and has the most pop cultural penetration of any of the nominees, so clearly it did its job.

ReplyCopy URL
    Robert Russaw
    Participant
    Topics:

Out of all nominees for Creative Arts, especially glad Gerald McRaney won. It was definitely well-deserved, as was the win for Alexis Bledel.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Some things that do not quite add up:

Stranger Things won sound editing, even though Westworld dominated MPSE. But MPSE uses panels for their winners, so this would seem to indicate that the sound editors like Stranger Things better, but then the sound mixers awarded Westworld. Sound mixing is the one that normally lines up with series (The People v. O.J. Simpson won last year) and sound editing is normally not indicative (Black Sails won last year).

Westworld beat Game of Thrones at ADG, but lost production design to The Handmaid’s Tale. Westworld was technically prone to vote-splitting, but the pilot should have been the clear choice, just like the Stranger Things pilot in editing. Westworld also had the advantage of a $25 million submission, so this might be indicative of a surplus of support for The Handmaid’s Tale.

Cinematography and production design are not normally indicative of support in the program race, but Veep won both this year, so they mean something for it. The Handmaid’s Tale won both and Stranger Things lost both. I wish that the editors had nominated one of The Handmaid’s Tale over one of Better Call Saul. (I cannot quite count it as a snub because it might have just been that branch getting to the show after nominations because of the late release.) The outcome of that match-up would have provided clarity.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sagand
    Participant
    Topics:

Westworld beat Game of Thrones at ADG, but lost production design to The Handmaid’s Tale. Westworld was technically prone to vote-splitting, but the pilot should have been the clear choice, just like the Stranger Things pilot in editing. Westworld also had the advantage of a $25 million submission, so this might be indicative of a surplus of support for The Handmaid’s Tale.

I wouldn’t say the Pilot was the clear choice. The finale ‘The Bicameral Mind’ was the submission for writing / directing / editing (where it beat out the pilot on the nominating ballot) and it was the feature length episode.

Cinematography and production design are not normally indicative of support in the program race, but Veep won both this year, so they mean something for it. The Handmaid’s Tale won both and Stranger Things lost both. I wish that the editors had nominated one of The Handmaid’s Tale over one of Better Call Saul. (I cannot quite count it as a snub because it might have just been that branch getting to the show after nominations because of the late release.) The outcome of that match-up would have provided clarity.

While Stranger Things lost production design, it didn’t lose it to The Handmaids Tale, it lost it to ‘The Crown’. Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say ‘The Crown’ deserved that award. It wasn’t much to do with the series race but everything to do with Production Design.

That being said the only race ‘Stranger Things’ beat ‘The Handmaids Tale’ in was casting. If you were judging casting solely on merit it would be hard not give it to the casting director who found a group of unknown kids to be the center of the show.

I made the mistake of editing my post so it’s gone to forum moderation. I’m still waiting for a post from September 3rd on Guest Acting races to get through, so I’ll just repost rather than wait.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

The Crown won on merit, but Westworld lost despite merit. Might be notable that Westworld beat The Crown with the guild. I can see why the editors went for the finale—they preferred (the editing in) that episode. I find it less believable that production designers would not vote for a pilot when most of a first season’s sets are made for it.

I remember a few years ago when Masters of Sex also had two submissions on the production design ballot. The first was the pilot; the second was a combined submission that represented Allison Janney’s tape, the penultimate episode and the finale. I wondered if there would be vote-splitting, but they nominated only the pilot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sagand
    Participant
    Topics:

Honestly if you’d asked me before you made the post which one was the clear choice I would have said the finale. That was their main push across the board. If we can’t agree it’s not surprising the vote might have split.

Even if there was no vote splitting all it tells you is Westworld is behind The Handmaids Tale (which we kind of knew) and The Handmaids Tales is going to be competitive at the guild.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I bet that it takes PGA, DGA and WGA.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I honestly don’t see how The Handmaid’s Tale loses SAG Ensemble and for Elisabeth Moss.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

I honestly don’t see how The Handmaid’s Tale loses SAG Ensemble and for Elisabeth Moss.

If Stranger Things has equal or more acclaim and wins best series it could easily win SAG. I do think Moss has SAG wrapped up though. Maybe Gyllanhall could be a threat?

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Elisabeth Moss has SAG wrapped up, but now that SAG has found Stranger Things, I do not expect them to let it go so quick, per Downton Abbey and Orange is the New Black.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sagand
    Participant
    Topics:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Stranger Things has a sophomore slump and The Crown can combine the voters that kept Downton winning. (They were probably split between The Crown and Downton this year.)

ReplyCopy URL
    no one
    Participant
    Topics:

something that could hurt The Crown is its cast is gonna rotate every 2 years. Hard to be loyal to a cast that way.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyWinner
    Participant
    Topics:

Feels good to be right.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Feels good to be right.

I should have listened to you dammit! I wanted Aunt Lydia but I stupidly bought into that “vote-splitting” bullshit about her and Samira and how there was “no obvious frontrunner” of the 2. My first instinct after Dowd lost at Creative Arts to her Handmaid’s Tale co-star Bledel should have been to move her into 1st ahead of Brown and Newton so I could predict a full Handmaid’s Tale sweep. But Stranger Things won Casting, Picture Editing, I really thought it would win something on the main telecast. Happy to be proven wrong, but to be fair when was the last time a Drama show won EVERY SINGLE ONE of the categories it was up for on the main telecast? Has it ever happened?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 345 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.