Home Forums Television 2017 EMMY AWARDS Ceremony Details

2017 EMMY AWARDS Ceremony Details

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Richard Aniston
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t really follow the Emmys that closely, so I have to ask: Why would there be no winners for some categories?

Some categories are what are called “juried” awards. These don’t have nominees; instead, every entry is viewed by a panel, or “jury,” of Academy members, and each one is given a separate yes-or-no vote; it takes something like an 11/12 majority vote to award an Emmy. It is possible for there to be multiple winners (the Individual Achievement in Animation category usually has five or so winners); it is also possible for there to be no winners.

Similarly, some of the “area” awards, where the voters give a yes-or-no vote to each nominee, have a rule where, if none of the nominees get at least a 50% “yes” vote, then none of them win an Emmy.

Oh, I see. Thanks!

ReplyCopy URL
    queenbee
    Participant
    Topics:

First group of presenters announced. A lot of nominees. Riz Ahmed (“The Night Of,” “Girls”) Anthony Anderson (“black-ish”) Alec Baldwin (“Saturday Night Live,” “Match Game”) Jason Bateman (“Ozark”) Jessica Biel (“The Sinner”) Edie Falco (“Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders”) Anna Faris (“Mom”) Allison Janney (“Mom”) Rashida Jones (“Angie Tribeca”) Nicole Kidman (“Big Little Lies”) Debra Messing (“Will & Grace”) Lea Michele (“The Mayor”) Shemar Moore (“S.W.A.T.”) Kumail Nanjiani (“Silicon Valley”) Jim Parsons (“The Big Bang Theory”) Tracee Ellis Ross (“black-ish”) Adam Scott (“Ghosted,” “Big Little Lies”) Oprah Winfrey (“The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks”) Reese Witherspoon (“Big Little Lies”)

LEA!

Also, Messing & McCormack presenting together would be magic.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sasha
    Participant
    Topics:

The cast of Will and Grace should be presenting Comedy Series.

ReplyCopy URL
    queenbee
    Participant
    Topics:

The cast of Will and Grace should be presenting Comedy Series.

THIS.

Messing and McCormack presenting Comedy Lead Actor & Actress is the very least they should do.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  queenbee.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Alienware
    Participant
    Topics:

So basically the saturday part of the Creative Arts is completely useless! That’s useful, at least I know I can concentrate my effort to follow the liveblog only on the Sunday one.

ReplyCopy URL
    That Don Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

So basically the saturday part of the Creative Arts is completely useless! That’s useful, at least I know I can concentrate my effort to follow the liveblog only on the Sunday one.

I wouldn’t say “useless” – it does have Reality Show Host, Variety Special, and some limited fanbase awards (e.g. Animation, Choreography) – but for the most part, yes.

Say, you don’t think the fact that pretty much every category where any comedy series, drama series, limited series, or movie is nominated is being given out on Sunday has anything to do with that, do you? I wouldn’t be surprised if the intent is, eventually, to get the “Sunday ceremony” aired live somewhere – maybe even move it to the night before the broadcast Emmys.

ReplyCopy URL
    That Don Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

The Juried awards (except for Exceptional Merit in Documentary Filmmaking) have been announced:

Individual Achievement in Animation
    4, count them, 4 Emmys for Samurai Jack
    Wander Over Yonder

Motion Design
    Beyond Magic
    13th

Innovation in Interactive Programming
    Pearl

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Remember when they introduced the Motion Design award last year, only to deem nobody worthy? Glad that that nonsense is over.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/emmys-13th-samurai-jack-juried-winners-1036301

Samurai Jack won 4 Emmys for its masterful 5th and final season! I knew it had a shot at winning as many as 4 due to how technically well-crafted it was! Way to get this one RIGHT, Emmys! I’m also very happy that Wander Over Yonder can finally be called an Emmy-winning television show, for its series finale, no less! 😀

ReplyCopy URL
    That Don Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Question: isn’t there some sort of “tiebreaker” if, say, Drama Series has a tie in its final vote? The Creative Arts Saturday webcast said that all categories can have multiple winners, and there was a time when there were ties in the “major” categories, but I thought somebody posted here that there was some sort of (unpublished) tiebreaker now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I do not recall such a thing, but they could theoretically break a tie with nomination-phase votes or even nomination count.

ReplyCopy URL
    That Don Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

In case anybody is interested, here is my count as to how many Emmys each show with a chance at 5 or more (since SNL, Stranger Things, and Westworld won 5 at the Creative Arts ceremonies) could end up with, assuming there are no ties:

Westworld – 12
    Saturday Night Live – 10 (12)
    Stranger Things – 10
    Veep – 9 (13)
    The Night Of – 9 (12)
    Big Little Lies – 9 (11)
    The Handmaid’s Tale – 8 (10)
    Feud: Bette And Joan – 7 (11)
    Fargo – 7
    The Crown – 7
    Better Call Saul – 5
    House Of Cards – 5
    Last Week Tonight With John Oliver – 5
    This Is Us – 5
    Atlanta – 4 (5)

The numbers in parentheses indicate the total number of Emmys it could win, if all of its nominations won Emmys (for example, Saturday Night Live has three nominations in Comedy Series Supporting Actress; if there were to be a three-way tie, it could win a total of 12 Emmys, but if only one of the three nominees in that category wins, the best it can do is 10).

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Legends Carol Burnett and Norman Lear are added as presenters.

Christopher Jackson will perform for the “In Memoriam” segment.

Click link below for this news and our interview with host Stephen Colbert.

http://www.goldderby.com/article/2017/stephen-colbert-interview-emmys-host-news-480627935/

ReplyCopy URL
    Rich Landry
    Participant
    Topics:

What a great list of additions. We are getting that 9 to 5 reunion it seems

The latest presenters, in addition to Corden, Chappelle, Fonda and Tomlin, are: Iain Armitage, Alexis Bledel, Rachel Bloom, Matt Bomer, Carol Burnett, Priyanka Chopra, Viola Davis, Laura Dern, Mark Feuerstein, Jermaine Fowler, Chris Hardwick, Zoe Kravitz, Norman Lear, LL Cool J, Sonequa Martin-Green, Tatiana Maslany, Melissa McCarthy, Seth MacFarlane, Gerald McRaney, Seth Meyers, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Kaitlin Olson, Dolly Parton, Sarah Paulson, Jeremy Piven, Issa Rae, Craig Robinson, Gina Rodriguez, Anika Noni Rose, Emmy Rossum, Cicely Tyson, Gabrielle Union, BD Wong and Shailene Woodley

ReplyCopy URL
    jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

They’re gonna have young and old Sheldon present together… ugghhh

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.