Home Forums Television 2017 Emmy Awards Reactions Thread #2

2017 Emmy Awards Reactions Thread #2

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 195 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Sasha
    Participant
    Topics:

Random thoughts

I believe this is the first time this century that only five ‘networks’ won at least one Primetime Emmy. Very consensus-y year indeed.

Who would have guessed that of all the hotly buzzed programs Netflix has, the one to win multiple Primetime Emmys would be Black Mirror, beating all the heavyweight miniseries for writing to boot? I wonder how hard the show will be campaigned now.
    In fact, it is the ONLY Netflix show to win multiple Primetime Emmys in a year. Master of None won Writing in consecutive years. Bloodline, Crown, Orange, and House of Cards each won one so far.

I’m probably late, but I just noticed that Baldwin & McKinnon submitted the two Guest winning episodes. I wonder if the latter helped Chappelle win.

Globe/Sag winners without an Emmy:

Drama Claire Foy, The Crown; Sandra Oh, Grey’s Anatomy; Jennifer Garner, Alias; Frances Conroy, Six Feet Under

Kevin Spacey, House of Cards; Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire; Michael C Hall, Dexter; Hugh Laurie, House; Martin Sheen, West Wing; Anthony Edwards, ER

Comedy Teri Hatcher, Desperate Housewives

Robert Downey Jr, Ally McBeal

Longform Drew Barrymore, Grey Gardens; Queen Latifah, Life Support; Glenn Close, Lion in Winter; Angelina Jolie, Gia; Kathy Bates, Late Shift; Joanne Woodward, Breathing Lessons

Idris Elba, Luther; Kevin Bacon, Taking Chance; Brian Dennehy, Death of a Salesman; Gary Sinise, Truman

The most dubious of course is Laurie, who won both twice.

At least Claire Foy is gonna be in a very good company. That’s actually nice.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

My comment the official YouTube video of Alec Baldwin winning his Emmy for SNL this year. Thought I’d share it with you all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQm6jxRrksM

I disliked this video not because I support Trump, but because I still am sad that Tituss Burgess was robbed of his Emmy for the 3RD YEAR IN A ROW! Even Matt Walsh would have been a better winner for Veep, he is also overdue for his great work as Mike McLintock. Alec Baldwin did an Emmy for doing a one-dimensional caricature that was genuinely funny for the first several episodes, until for me and many others it just got stale. Been there, done that. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Trump, people shouldn’t win Emmys just for playing one-dimensional caricatures. Anyone could have done what Baldwin did, but no other actor could have channeled Beyonce’s Lemonade the same way Tituss did in his fantastic episode submission “Kimmy’s Roommate Lemonades.” Another heartbreaking Emmy loss for Tituss, but at least he still has 3 Goldderby TV Awards for his one-of-a-kind performance on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. That’s not as awesome as him winning even a single Emmy, but at least he’s won something.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt will likely, I’m afraid, never win an Emmy.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Nicholson at the Oscars (1983) – Terms of Endearment

ReplyCopy URL
    Kevin Jacobsen
    Participant
    Topics:

Has anyone discussed the complete failure of Feud: Bette and Joan? I just find it fascinating that this show racked up double-digit nominations at the main telecast and didn’t win any of them. I did some research and this is the first time a show has received at least 10 nominations on the main show and didn’t win anything since ER in 1997.

Do we think it would have cleaned up if Big Little Lies weren’t there? I’m assuming at least Jessica Lange would win, but I imagine The Night Of was the runner-up as far as broad support.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Great work, Olivia. 😉

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Nicholson at the Oscars (1983) – Terms of Endearment

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

Stunning night for girl power in form of “Big Little Lies” and “The Handmaid’s Tale” who won 6 acting awards, including all 5 eligible for women, all Series, Directing and Writing (sans “BLL” losing Writing, I’d say poor David E. Kelley if he wouldn’t have already more than 20 Emmys at home).

Very bad night for pretty much everyone else. Creative Emmys went their own way and record holders for the most nominations were losing left and right. Something to remember.

I thought Lange might win just because Emmys are like that. I’m happy for Nicole Kidman, though. Important step for her Triple Crown!

EDIT: I can’t with “Saturday Night Lives” eating all those awards and “Veep” dominating. Thankfully “Atlanta” got some majors win too. Otherwise comedy side of things would become very depressing.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  Jake.
    ReplyCopy URL
    1avengers
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Lange might win just because Emmys are like that. I’m happy for Nicole Kidman, though. Important step for her Triple Crown!

I know she did something on the West End recently, even got an Olivier nom from it. Maybe that can be her Tony?

ReplyCopy URL
    Tonbone
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Sterling K. Brown the first person to win two Years in a row for two different roles??

ReplyCopy URL
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Sterling K. Brown the first person to win two Years in a row for two different roles??

Janney technically won for Masters of Sex in 2014 and then for Mom in 2015, but does that count since she had won for Mom in 2014 as well?

ReplyCopy URL
    no one
    Participant
    Topics:

Would y’all consider Better Call Saul to have sort of won an Emmy now, with Los Pollos Hermanos Employee Training? Or no?

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles Allen
    Participant
    Topics:

Regina King won twice in a row for two different roles, but it’s technically the same show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m really surprised looking back at the winners that Samantha Bee and RuPaul didn’t win series with almost every winners being woman led programs. It honestly would have been hilarious if every major program winner had girl power themes. But still, the fact that The Handmaids Tale, Big little Lies, Veep, and San Junipero all won is something.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

Regina King won twice in a row for two different roles, but it’s technically the same show.

Ed Asner won 3. He won for Rich Man Poor Man in 76. Then Like Brown he won for Roots (a miniseries) in 77, then for Lou Grant (a drama series) in 78. And like Brown, it was Lou Grant’s first season.

Helen Mirren won two Lead Miniseries Emmys. I think it was for Elizabeth I and Prime Supect.

Charles S Dutton won consecutive Guest Actor awards for different series/roles.

Allison Janney won for Masters of Sex (and Mom) in 2014 then for Mom again in 2015. So two different roles, consecutive years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Would y’all consider Better Call Saul to have sort of won an Emmy now, with Los Pollos Hermanos Employee Training? Or no?

No, it’s either for the show or it isn’t. It isn’t technically for Better Call Saul, so right now the show 0-21 at the Emmys.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I count it because those distinctions are arbitrary. Look at the Interactive Media race where “Westworld” won, even though the work in question was the DiscoverWestworld.com website and not the show itself. That win counts officially for Westworld, but “Stranger Things VR Experience” does not count officially as a nomination for Stranger Things.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 195 total)
Reply To: 2017 Emmy Awards Reactions Thread #2

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.