Home Forums Television 2017 Emmys: What is being overestimated and underestimated?

2017 Emmys: What is being overestimated and underestimated?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

I am curious to hear your thoughts!

Anonymous
    Topics:

Overestimated:

This is Us- I have seen so many people predicting it to win and that is ridiculous. It did not get any of the top nominations at the major guilds. It missed ensemble at SAG, best drama at PGA and WGA, and directing at DGA. I’m still not positive on a nomination. It could easily happen, but it is ridiculous to predict it to win.

The Americans- I love the Americans, but it got in for one season the year before a content explosion. I’m not sure it stays in.

Transparent- poof. Transparent literally disappeared from every awards group. The guilds, the critics, the globes. Dramedys are always snubbed too early and Transparent will be a victim.

Feud- Feud is gold derbys wet dream. It’s great, but I’m pretty sure people are getting a little too excited. I don’t think it’ll do as well as people are saying.

American Crime: I love it, but I’m pretty sure it’ll get snubbed. It went way down for its critically acclaimed season two, so why would it go up now. I don’t think it’ll get a limited series nomination.

Underestimated:

Stranger Things- it won PGA and SAG over Game of motherfucking Thrones and people are still throwing out excuses about how it won’t win the Emmy and that it was a fluke.

Ray Donovan- it had a decent season and the show is on the rise at the Emmys. It could suprise in Series. And Malcomson as well. And we always underestimate Schrieber everywhere but he keeps getting in.

The Brits (Black Mirror/ Sherlock/ Gurerilla)- we always underestimate the Brits. Everybody always kept predicting Downtown Abbey to fall and it never did (till the final season). Black Mirror was a huge hit and is Netflix’s main limited contender so it’ll oubviously get pushed in. British stuff usually takes a while for the Emmys to catch on to, same went for Sherlock. Speaking of Sherlock, it won movie last year and it keeps upsetting. A few bad critical reviews aren’t gonna stop it. And yes I know Guerilla wasn’t made by the British but it’s about them so suck it. Big names, big subject, big channel. I think it’s being way underestimated. I’m thinking Elba could easily win.

I will think of more later

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

Looking at the user predictions I’d say
    Jane Fonda underestimated
    Pamela Adlon underestimated
    Aya Cash underestimated she won’t get nominated but I’m surprised how low she is.
    Martin Short overestimated
    Timothy Olyphant overestimated
    It’s not like they are being predicted to get nominated but there are a few guys who definitely should be ahead of them.
    Kathryn Hahn underestimated
    Alec Baldwin overestimated not really but I wish
    Ty Burrell overestimated, have a gut feeling they’ll finally drop him, maybe one more though.
    TJ Miller underestimated. It’s crazy none of the guys from SV have been nominated in supporting actor. I feel like Miller has just been missing the cut.
    The Crown overestimated
    Westworld overestimated
    This Is Us overestimated
    Better Call Saul underestimated
    Bob Odenkirk underestimating, I think this is his year to win. I don’t see Malek winning again.
    Bloodline underestimated
    Justin Theroux underestimated
    Margo Martindale overestimated for the Americans
    Ed Harris overestimated
    Scott Glenn underestimated
    When We Rise overestimated
    Witherspoon overestimated
    Jude Law underestimated at least I hope
    Sarah Paulson overestimated but I heard she was going lead now, prediction center still has her 3rd in supporting actress. I think she could be left out either way
    MEW underestimated
    Shailene Woodley underestimated
    Lili Taylor underestimated I just realized how stacked supporting actress in a miniseries was too, so maybe no one is really be underestimated more like there’s just too many performances and not enough spots.

So yeah, I don’t have anything that interesting to share.

ReplyCopy URL
    leothescorpio
    Participant
    Topics:

Sense8 isn’t even in the prediction centre, but that May 5 date is actually perfect timing.

We’re also underestimating The Americans and previous nominee Taraji P. Henson who still has tons of goodwill within the industry.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Stranger Things- it won PGA and SAG over Game of motherfucking Thrones and people are still throwing out excuses about how it won’t win the Emmy and that it was a fluke.

SAGs have a bias against Game of Thrones, so that stat is defunct.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

SAGs have a bias against Game of Thrones, so that stat is defunct.

they liked Downtown abbey more than Game of Thrones. So even then you can’t defunct it because Stranger Things was able to beat Downton. And the crown. And Westworld. How can you say that an entire stat is defunct because they’ve never awarded Game of Thrones. That’s not how it works. Stranger Things won over their reigning champion.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles Allen
    Participant
    Topics:

Overestimated:
    Modern Family- I think this is the year that Modern Family is dropped from the comedy race, as well as Ty Burrell
    Alec Baldwin- I think it’s crazy that people think that he’s going to win Best Supporting Actor. They’re not going to nominate someone on SNL that’s not a season regular. He would have won Guest Actor by a landslide if he hadn’t kept showing up all the time. It’s because the political skits are the only good ones on SNL these days.
    Kate McKinnon- She won last season for playing Hillary Clinton and she did a little bit this season which is why she’s going to be nominated, but she is NOT going to win a second time, especially considering all the great recent SNL players who never won (Any Poehler, Kristen Wiig, etc.)
    Millie Bobby Brown- When Stranger Things came out I thought it would be great if she was nominated but it probably won’t happen and now that Game of Thrones is out of the picture she seems like a lock for a nomination, but she is not going to win because she’s just too young.
    Judy Davis and Catherine Zeta-Jones- These ladies are both playing the same type of role on Feud: famous women in their own separate feuds that are confidants to the main characters. I think the reason Ryan Murphy put them in is so that he could test run these actresses for their own editions of Feud. The characters are too similar and flat for them both to be nominated. The last episode barely had Bette Davis in it at all so Catherine Zeta Jones wasn’t in it at all and she wasn’t in the actual story until the Oscars so she won’t be nominated. I think that Judy Davis will get nominated but she won’t win.
    Sarah Jessica Parker- Divorce is not a good show, and she isn’t particularly great in it. She won’t get nominated.
    This Is Us: I hate This is Us with a passion so I am biased but I don’t think that it’s getting into Drama Series, Actor or Supporting Actress. I don’t think there’s going to be any awards love for this show.

Underestimated:
    Orange is the New Black- Many people can agree that the third season of OITNB was the worst so the fact that it was shut out wasn’t that shocking but they came back in a great way with fourth season, which is a lot darker than previous seasons. I think it has a good chance to get into Drama Series and maybe multiple Supporting Actress nods for Uzo Aduba (previous winner), Samira Wiley (her character was killed off and she’s going to be in The Handmaiden’s Tale), and Danielle Brooks (recent Tony nominee, this one is more wishful thinking)
    Shailene Woodley- if she goes supporting I think there’s a very good chance she gets nominated
    Minnie Driver- Speechless and especially her got great reviews and I think there’s one more open slot that’s not going to SJP so I think she gets nominated
    Tituss Burgess- He just keeps getting better and better with every season since I think Baldwin isn’t a contender he’s going to win.
    I definitely forgot a lot.

ReplyCopy URL
    LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

“A few bad critical reviews” is a pretty big understatement for Sherlock. It floundered among critics and audiences alike as the weakest season with a really horrible final episode. The only strong episode of the season was the second episode (for reasons I don’t personally understand) so that’s really the only thing it’s riding on, along with potential last chance for nominations considering they could end the show. But then again it lost to an inferior show when submitting one of its two absolutely best episodes (A Scandal in Belgravia)… yet then AGAIN it still lost when submitting His Last Vow though it picked up some we’re-sorry-we-should-have-done-this-last-time acting Emmys. At this point it’d be lucky to get in riding the potential last-chance factor and a win would be much less likely unless the competition is extremely weak or unconvincing.

ReplyCopy URL
    zkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

Overestimated:

This Is Us: I hate This is Us with a passion so I am biased but I don’t think that it’s getting into Drama Series, Actor or Supporting Actress. I don’t think there’s going to be any awards love for this show.

Do you also hate puppies and warm feelings?

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

Overestimated:

Do you also hate puppies and warm feelings?

If you’re puppies are giving you the same feelings as this is us then you need to get some new puppies.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

The Americans- I love the Americans, but it got in for one season the year before a content explosion. I’m not sure it stays in.

Ray Donovan- it had a decent season and the show is on the rise at the Emmys. It could suprise in Series. And Malcomson as well. And we always underestimate Schrieber everywhere but he keeps getting in.

What you said about The Americans could apply to Ray Donovan too though. And although it feels like Schreiber keeps getting in, he has only been nominated twice and in three seasons at that. Jon Voight has also only been nominated twice in three seasons and missed for a different one, suggesting that they are only nominating it when they have space. Schreiber has never gotten a SAG nomination; Ray Donovan was actually snubbed by all seventeen guilds this year. It does kind of seem like both The Americans and Ray Donovan were able to capitalize on a weak field simultaneously, but now that things are heating up, I am sooner going to drop Ray Donovan. They are pretty even in a number of ways. They both got both of their “leads” nominated, they both got a guest win, they each got a writing or directing nomination, they both have minor below-the-line support (Casting Society nomination for The Americans, sound nomination for Ray Donovan), but The Americans ultimately gets the edge with its series nomination and WGA win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Modern family is being underestimated. It still got a PGA nomination and won the guild for sound. I don’t think Burrell will be back but I am pretty sure it will be back for those two nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Not predicting it but I think there’s potential that This is Us is just this year’s Empire and Sterling K. Brown becomes its only nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

I could see This is Us being snubbed. Have the Emmys ever taken NBC dramas seriously?

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I could see This is Us being snubbed. Have the Emmys ever taken NBC dramas seriously?

The last NBC drama to be nominated was Friday Night Lights in 2011 and before that was Heroes in 2007. The West Wing was an Emmy juggernaut and won many times. In 2000, NBC owned the category with the West Wing, ER, and Law and Order

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
Reply To: 2017 Emmys: What is being overestimated and underestimated?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.