Home Forums Television 2017 Peabody Entertainment winners: Atlanta, Beyonce….and Veep? VEEP?

2017 Peabody Entertainment winners: Atlanta, Beyonce….and Veep? VEEP?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
  • Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

Are you fucking kidding me? Veep?

——
    Donald Glover’s FX series “Atlanta” and Beyonce’s visual album “Lemonade” were among the seven entertainment winners announced Thursday by the Peabody Awards board of jurors.

Both projects were among the 60 previously announced finalists for the prestigious award, which are meant to represent the most compelling and empowering stories released in electronic media during 2016. Peabody winners and finalists will be celebrated at a gala event on May 20 in New York.

“Atlanta”
    Donald Glover’s enchanting series on the struggles of two young black men trying to make it in Atlanta’s rap scene blends vibrant character study and rich socio-political commentary in delivering a detailed and textured exploration of a Southern city.

“Better Things”
    Co-created by Pamela Adlon and Louis C.K., the result of this searingly funny and beautiful show is an at-times raw examination of the vicissitudes of working motherhood, crackling with feminist verve and energy, that consistently cuts new ground.

“Happy Valley”
    A fresh take on the British crime drama that deals boldly and unflinchingly with the darkest human behavior while keeping its heart and even a tart sense of humor. Series creator Sally Wainwright has given us perhaps the greatest female lead on television today in Catherine Cawood, played by Sarah Lancashire in a stunning performance.

“Horace and Pete”
    A true original that melds contemporary politics and serialized storytelling with a throwback approach, “Horace and Pete” is a truly independent and groundbreaking demonstration of how quality television is expertly produced for the new media environment, all the while building upon decades of artistry and craft.

“Lemonade”
    “Lemonade” draws from the prolific literary, musical, cinematic, and aesthetic sensibilities of black cultural producers to create a rich tapestry of poetic innovation. The audacity of its reach and fierceness of its vision challenges our cultural imagination, while crafting a stunning and sublime masterpiece about the lives of women of color and the bonds of friendship seldom seen or heard in American popular culture.

“National Treasure”
    A dark and timely examination of sexual abuse at the hands of privileged celebrity, “National Treasure” is an engrossing series that explores the loyalty of family and friends during crisis, the impact of sexual abuse on victims, and the legal system itself. As in real life, there’s no neat ending in this dramatic rendering of one man’s choices and the collateral damage he creates.

“VEEP”
    A rare show blessed with a perfectly cast ensemble, including the comedic genius of Julia Louis-Dreyfus, VEEP is a workplace comedy that not only captures the zeitgeist of the current bizarre political moment but transcends its own form to deliver a sobering message, with sharp dialogue, street savvy—and lots of laughs.

Anonymous
    Topics:

Well, the most critically acclaimed shows tend to get awards so your annoyance for Veeps nomination says more about you than it does the peadbodys.

I’m disappointed Luke Cage didn’t make it. Pleasantly suprises for the nominations for National Treasure, Horace and Pete, and Better Things.

ReplyCopy URL
    Phillippo
    Participant
    Topics:

Thank God these people have the good sense to reward a good show like Veep over something like The Good Place

Seriously though, I’m happy for Atlanta and Better Things, the latter which I think is seriously underrated

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Yay!

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Does National Treasure’s nomination mean it’s Emmy eligible? I need Julie Walters to get nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Does National Treasure’s nomination mean it’s Emmy eligible? I need Julie Walters to get nominated.

If Walters couldn’t get in at BAFTA she has no chance at Emmy even if she is eligible.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

The finalists that did not advance are pretty surprising. There was some Peabody bait in there: The Night Of, American Crime, This is Us, Stranger Things.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco B.
    Participant
    Topics:

Horace and Pete! Hallelujah!

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

If Walters couldn’t get in at BAFTA she has no chance at Emmy even if she is eligible.

People said the same thing about Negga regarding the Oscars. Hulu wasn’t the one campaigning for BAFTA and if it’s eligible Hulu will campaign hard.

ReplyCopy URL
    jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

Wait has Veep never won one before? That’s surprising.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it’s a great list of winners. Fucking Lemonade, yes!

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

People said the same thing about Negga regarding the Oscars. Hulu wasn’t the one campaigning for BAFTA and if it’s eligible Hulu will campaign hard.

Sorry but that comparison is ridiculous. You cannot compare Negga (not even British) missing BAFTA and yet getting Oscar to Julie Walters, who incidentally has both the most nominations and the most wins in the BAFTA TV Best Actress category, not being BAFTA nominated for something and yet somehow being plausible to be Emmy nominated for it in the most competitive category of the year.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

On a different note- yay Happy Valley- best show on TV!

ReplyCopy URL
    Somnambulist
    Participant
    Topics:

The finalists that did not advance are pretty surprising. There was some Peabody bait in there: The Night Of, American Crime, This is Us, Stranger Things.

I would’ve expected American Crime to have made it. Maybe they’re trying to be more selective after honoring Scandal (yes, Scandal) a few years ago.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m honestly shocked Lemonade won.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
Reply To: 2017 Peabody Entertainment winners: Atlanta, Beyonce….and Veep? VEEP?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.