Home Forums Television 2018 Emmy Awards Ballot Reactions

2018 Emmy Awards Ballot Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 276 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
8 hours ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
Teridax
Riley
Eden
  • leothescorpio
    Participant
    Topics:

I just looked and Blackish has 5 directing submissions. They’re FUCKING idiots.

it was never getting in, babe.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Going through the ballots, a silly prediction came to my mind – black-ish getting a Costumes nomination for the musical episode. It’s unlikely, but the competition isn’t very strong. I believe the front-runners are Empire, Grace and Frankie, Transparent, This Is Us and either Cult or Versace. Killing Eve is a possibility too (the pink dress scene remind me of Phantom Thread).

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Grace and Frankie is the only contemporary program that was nominated for its costumes by both the last Emmys and Costume Designers Guild Awards and even if it could miss, given how much less Netflix is campaigning the show this year.  So the category is wide open.  black-ish is a series nominee and ABC sent out their costumer to be a panelist at Gold Derby’s event last week, so there is some push there.  It could happen.

I just looked and Blackish has 5 directing submissions. They’re FUCKING idiots.

it was never getting in, babe.

They tried the single-submission strategy last year for “Lemons” and they still missed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

They tried the single-submission strategy last year for “Lemons” and they still missed.

I am fairly confident they submitted a shit ton last year too. Maybe that was just in one of the categories though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, I cheated a bit with my post because it referred to writing, but that is where they stood more of a chance anyway. For what it is worth, vote-splitting has never been as much of a factor in the directing categories than the writing equivalents because having names on the ballots means that they can always sift through to find their Lesli Linka Glatters, Mike Judges and so forth.

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Reality-Competition and Reality Host categories are now active in the predictions center.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Host is tough.  RuPaul is the only lock.  I have Alec Baldwin returning because he is always popular and I presume still on a high from playing Trump.  I have Neil Patrick Harris in for his new show because people like him too.  I have W. Kamau Bell returning because there was no novelty factor in his nomination last year; people who voted for him must actually be fans of the show, so he should be solid.  I have the Queer Eye quintet second; funny that five-for-the-price-of-one is allowed.

I have Ellen sixth; her show got decent ratings, so she should get some votes from actual fans.  I have her lower than Harris because she is so associated with her own show that I do not know that voters will want to recognize her for something else; it also rubbed me the wrong way that her show has her name in the title because it makes it seem like less of a performance.

I do not have Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn.  They have been nominated the last five years and Klum has gotten in eight times.  PGA dropped the show a couple of years ago, so they are on the decline and with their nomination last year, they already outlasted all of the staples of the category, so I do not know how much longer they will hang on, especially if anyone knows that Harvey Weinstein is a producer.

With Jane Lynch having multiple performances in contention, she could get back in after being surprisingly dropped last year.  Gordon Ramsay was of course nominated last year and Ryan Seacrest was nominated two years ago for the “final” season of American Idol.  Did it really only miss one season?  I did not have space for Martha and Snoop and am concerned that the latter having another show on the ballot will kill their chances.  I doubt that anyone has seen their show, so I think that they are getting by on novelty, which I think is lessened if he has another show on the ballot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marianne Elba
    Participant
    Topics:

Hugh Dancy and Claire Danes are both up for best actor/actress in a Drama. Have a husband and wife ever been on the ballot together before?

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Hugh Dancy and Claire Danes are both up for best actor/actress in a Drama. Have a husband and wife ever been on the ballot together before?

I’m sure it happens all the time. Courtney B. Vance and Angela Bassett have been on the ballot in the same years. Jane Kaczmarek and Bradley Whitford were both nominated several times in the same year when they were married.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Are Rhys and Russell married?

ReplyCopy URL
    J H
    Participant
    Topics:

I had to Google to see what show Dancy’s on. Last I heard anyone talk about him was Hannibal.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Are Rhys and Russell married?

Yes, and another one I can think of for this year is Bill Camp and Elizabeth Marvel.

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward

Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy

Michael J. Fox and Tracey Pollan

Jessica Tandy and Hume Cronyn

William Daniels and Bonnie Bartlett

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Jim Carter and Imelda Staunton were nominated in supporting in 2013.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marianne Elba
    Participant
    Topics:

I had to Google to see what show Dancy’s on. Last I heard anyone talk about him was Hannibal.

The Path is that show I know will be ignored but ( I think) the one that deserves most to win. Do yourself a favor and watch it. He’s amazing in it. Career best performance I’d say.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 276 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.