Home Forums Television 2018 Emmy Predictions Movie and Limited Series

2018 Emmy Predictions Movie and Limited Series

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 532 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Stegeo
Riley
Teridax
  • Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

SAG nom my ass, they still picked Felicity Huffman over Bryce.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

SAG nominated Huffman too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

SAG nominated Huffman too.

For S2.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sam H
    Participant
    Topics:

The Versace thing is causing me a headache. In terms of material and performance, Cody Fern, Finn Wittrock and Jon Jon Briones have miles on both Edgar Ramirez and Ricky Martin but the latter two have titular role and name recognition on their side so I’m having trouble not predicting them. I mean, ACS had five actors nominated for OJ but Versace did not garner the acclaim and attention of OJ so I highly doubt they can manage it this year, especially with four of them up for the same category. They’ll just cancel each other out. I’d personally prefer if they just throw their weight behind two (Cody and Jon Jon) but that’s never going to happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

I just finished Howard’s End (Starz/BBC) and it was pretty darn good. I think everyone is underestimating this limited series big time. Completely adapted by acclaimed Academy Award-winning writer/playwright Kenneth Lonergan and directed by BAFTA-winning filmmaker Hettie MacDonald (FEMALE DIRECTOR!), this series screams Emmy-bait!

Especially given the weak year in limited series, I don’t see how this one misses out on a nomination.

I expect nominations for:

Limited Series
    Directing
    Writing
    Lead Actress: Hayley Atwell (who is amazing!)
    Supporting Actress: Julia Ormond
    Supporting Actress: Tracey Ullman (on name recognition)

and then if voters ACTUALLY watch the series…

Supporting Actress: Philippa Coulthard (a revelation!)
    Lead Actor: Matthew Macfadyen
    Supporting Actor: Alex Lawther (better known for his starring role in Netflix’s The End of the F—ing World)

ReplyCopy URL
    jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

Am I the only one slightly perplexed by Ricky Martin’s high placement in the predictions center? Yes, that category is weak but I think there will be a healthy proportion of voters who would balk at voting for someone perceived as a cheesy pop star in an acting category and for what appears to be his first major role. Let us not forget that they didn’t go with Gaga for a Globe winning performance with much higher visibility.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Supporting Actress: Tracey Ullman (on name recognition)

How much is she in the series? Could she get in based on her performance, not name recognition?

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I have not finished the miniseries, but between the Oscars and BAFTA, four roles from the film version were nominated and Tracey Ullman’s was not one of them, so I suspect that the material is not there.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sam H
    Participant
    Topics:

Am I the only one slightly perplexed by Ricky Martin’s high placement in the predictions center? Yes, that category is weak but I think there will be a healthy proportion of voters who would balk at voting for someone perceived as a cheesy pop star in an acting category and for what appears to be his first major role. Let us not forget that they didn’t go with Gaga for a Globe winning performance with much higher visibility.

Well, Versace is more visible than Hotel ever was and it’s in that sweet spot of Emmy recognition that often goes to early seasons of Ryan Murphy shows. I also don’t remember Gaga being as visible in AHS’ campaigning like Ricky is? The guy is everywhere as one of the faces of the season. The show’s presence in press junkets and late night talk shows have been built on the trio of Darren Criss, Edgar Ramirez and Ricky Martin. Ryan Murphy has been singing his praise and I reckon that FX is gonna heavily push him. Granted Gaga also had Ryan waxing lyrical about her but I don’t think Hotel’s visibility (or social relevance) is in any way comparable to Versace’s, and the hoopla surrounding her casting had mostly faded by awards season that her name recognition didn’t carry her like it did in the Globes. (which, let’s be honest, she only won because she was Lady Gaga making her acting debut)

Plus, Ricky has a couple of baity episodes that he did solid work with, even if the rest of his work wasn’t all that great, and he’s submitting one of them. Gaga lacked a strong standout and did the entire season with the same facial expression.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco B.
    Participant
    Topics:

Even as the most passionate Twin Peaks fan here (well, almost so), I’m expecting the Emmys to shut it out almost completely, at least in major categories. Too much creativity for them to handle. I’m only expecting Kyle McLachlan to be nominated at the moment.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Even as the most passionate Twin Peaks fan here (well, almost so), I’m expecting the Emmys to shut it out almost completely, at least in major categories. Too much creativity for them to handle. I’m only expecting Kyle McLachlan to be nominated at the moment.

Just like you, I’m a HUGE fan of the revival and I’m not even confident about McLachlan. I hope it gets into series, but it definitely isn’t second place, like it is in the odds unfortunately.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Ricky Martin was actually straight-up bad in Versace. But even if he wasn’t, he still had nothing to do.

Penelope had nothing to do either, but at least she was good in the small moments she had, because she’s a great actress. No way does she deserve to win for such a minor role, though. Not when a performance like Laura Dern’s, to name just one worthier contender, is right there.

ReplyCopy URL
    Turd Ferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Laura Dern is the only person whose win would make sense to me in that category. She also totally deserves it.

ReplyCopy URL
    AwardsBait3818
    Participant
    Topics:

Laura Dern is the only person whose win would make sense to me in that category. She also totally deserves it.

I have two problems with predicting Laura Dern to win for Twin Peaks. One, she’s very likely to win for The Tale, and I’m not confident that they’ll award her for two performances in one year. Two, I don’t have Twin Peaks for series, and I doubt she could win without that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

I have not finished the miniseries, but between the Oscars and BAFTA, four roles from the film version were nominated and Tracey Ullman’s was not one of them, so I suspect that the material is not there.

It isn’t. Ullman does a great job for sure considering that it is a comic performance, kind of like how Smith and Dench had comic performances in A Room with a View. (In the film, Aunt Juley was portrayed by Prunella Scales, another comedienne who is more commonly known from Fawlty Towers as Sybill.)

Ullman has the name recognition enough to get a nomination, as does Ormond who won this category for Temple Grandin and yet is only in the one episode. I didn’t like Howards End, but it is an undeniable piece of Emmy bait that they will drool over. I expect at least two acting nominations. Coulthard is only deserving nominee imo, playing the HBC role from the film.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 532 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.