Home Forums Television 2018 Emmy Predictions (Part 3)

2018 Emmy Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 197 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
Hunter-ish
kancov
Riley
  • kancov
    Participant
    Topics:

After Dowd’s unlikely awards run, I think she’ll be given more material this season. Maybe her storylines don’t happen in the present but there can still be flashbacks.

Yes, that’s where they can go in the wrong direction, just because of the awards. Similar to Ron Cephas Jones on This Is Us.

Trevor
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t think it’ll happen, but could Kerry Washington get a Drama Guest Actress nomination for playing Olivia Pope in the next “How to Get Away with Murder” on March 1st? That would be interesting after she received a Drama Lead Actress nomination in 2013 & 2014.

kancov
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t think it’ll happen, but could Kerry Washington get a Drama Guest Actress nomination for playing Olivia Pope in the next “How to Get Away with Murder” on March 1st? That would be interesting after she received a Drama Lead Actress nomination in 2013 & 2014.

I was thinking the same about Davis. If they snub her for Drama Actress because of strong competition, voters would feel like they owe her and vote for her for Guest category.

vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Would love it if Washington picks up a nomination for guest actress (and lead actress would be great too but I think it’s not happening). I think Viola is still a safe bet for lead actress…as for guest I gotta see how they write her into that episode to be honest. Scandal is a bit heavy too over the top sometimes.

Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Why would Dowd be guest just because Offred was taken away? If I have learned one thing after years of watching television, it is that shake-ups in finales only last a few episodes into the new season. Returns and reunions are inevitable.

I find that surprising wins are often followed up by seasons in which they get win-worthy material, only to lose for it (Archie Punjabi, Tony Hale, Merritt Wever, Cherry Jones).

kancov
    Participant
    Topics:

Why would Dowd be guest just because Offred was taken away? If I have learned one thing after years of watching television, it is that shake-ups in finales only last a few episodes into the new season. Returns and reunions are inevitable. I find that surprising wins are often followed up by seasons in which they get win-worthy material, only to lose for it (Archie Punjabi, Tony Hale, Merritt Wever, Cherry Jones).

They do give them more material, but it’s rarely win-worthy. That’s why I believe it would be smarter to have Dowd in less episodes. That would give her better material and better chances for the show to score more nominations.

PerksofBeingGriff
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, they might play up Alexis Bledel’s character a lot because of fan interest.

“Someone is staring at you in ‘Personal Growth’.”

jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

I mean, speculation on HT supporting actress screen time is pretty meaningless at this point. I think, given momentum, Dowd is still the strongest regardless. There are plenty of guest winners who, when upgraded to supporting, fail to garner a nod (not that we know that Bledel is going supporting). Offred’s mother is actually a fairly significant part of the novel so I expect that Cherry Jones will have some good material to work with. My real question is whether Fiennes can break in on the male side – that category is getting a little stale and has a lot of empty slots. I don’t watch This Is Us, but has Jones appeared in enough flashback material to qualify for supporting? My understanding is that his arc pretty much ended last season…so to speak.

Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

I mean, speculation on HT supporting actress screen time is pretty meaningless at this point. I think, given momentum, Dowd is still the strongest regardless. There are plenty of guest winners who, when upgraded to supporting, fail to garner a nod (not that we know that Bledel is going supporting). Offred’s mother is actually a fairly significant part of the novel so I expect that Cherry Jones will have some good material to work with. My real question is whether Fiennes can break in on the male side – that category is getting a little stale and has a lot of empty slots. I don’t watch This Is Us, but has Jones appeared in enough flashback material to qualify for supporting? My understanding is that his arc pretty much ended last season…so to speak.

The way that this season is going, Jones is hardly in it enough to justify a Guest nod. Although I think Justin Hartley is actually a realistic threat.

jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

The way that this season is going, Jones is hardly in it enough to justify a Guest nod. Although I think Justin Hartley is actually a realistic threat.

Very interested to see how that SAG win for This Is Us translates to the acting nods considering how successful it was last year. Moore feels strong to me but Hartley’s work feels quieter at least from the outside. I wonder who wins supporting actor without Lithgow. Obviously Skargaard has been sweeping so we don’t have much insight. Could Harbour take it?

Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

The difference with Alexis Bledel is that she is officially a series regular this season.

This is Us is going to slay in acting nominations. They could go into the double digits. I do think that the core five are all getting nominated, like the SAG-winning Modern Family in its second season. Gerald McRaney and Ron Cephas Jones are safe bets in guest actor. Denis O’Hare might return at some point. Given how Brian Tyree Henry got nominated for singing a song, Sylvester Stallone can get nominated for playing himself, especially since his material exceeded our expectations for what seemed like it would be a quick celebrity cameo. Lyric Ross has appeared in episodes from October to February, but will still be eligible as a guest. Kate Burton has been nominated for guest spots in two other dramas that are still on the air. She fits the mould of the O’Hare nomination last year.

Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Possible TIU nominations from likeliest to least likely:

Sterling K Brown (Lead)
    Milo Ventimiglia (lead)
    Gerald McRaney (guest)
    Mandy Moore (lead)
    Ron Cephas Jones (guest)
    Elizabeth Perkins (guest)
    Kate Burton (guest)
    Lyric Ross (guest)
    Justin Hartley (supporting)
    Chrissy Metz (supporting)
    Jermel Nakia (guest)
    Sylvester Stallone (guest)
    Chris Sullivan (supporting)
    Susan Kelechi Watson (supporting)
    Alexandra Breckenridge (guest)

If they return:
    Dennis O’Hare (guest)
    Bryan Tyree Henry (guest)

Am I missing any possibilities?

Obviously not all of these are contenders, but wow! This is Us is going to do crazy good. I’d be surprised if they got less than 10 acting nominations. What is the record for most acting nominations? Could they break it?

I know Jack has a big flashback storyline coming up, so whoever plays his brother or Army boss or whoever could probably easily get in.

kancov
    Participant
    Topics:

No matter how much I’m against Metz and Hartley being nominated, I think they should be higher on your list. Brown, Ventimiglia, McRaney and Jones are the safest, I think. Moore would have much more trouble getting in than Hartley because of the weak supporting actor category. Metz is also in danger because of Game of Thrones, The Handmaid’s Tale and Stranger Things. I would put Burton above Perkins and right now, Ross is unrealistic prediction, but if they go crazy about the show, it could happen. The last one is Stallone. I don’t think anyone else can make it.

Anonymous
    Topics:

I am all for Mandy Moore getting nominated for This Is Us. I have always considered her to be underrated as an actress so it’s nice she’s finally getting her due. But if her or Elisabeth Moss wins, I’m gonna delete my account for good. Claire Foy has to win. She just has to. No one comes even close to her. All hail The Queen.

Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

No matter how much I’m against Metz and Hartley being nominated, I think they should be higher on your list. Brown, Ventimiglia, McRaney and Jones are the safest, I think. Moore would have much more trouble getting in than Hartley because of the weak supporting actor category. Metz is also in danger because of Game of Thrones, The Handmaid’s Tale and Stranger Things. I would put Burton above Perkins and right now, Ross is unrealistic prediction, but if they go crazy about the show, it could happen. The last one is Stallone. I don’t think anyone else can make it.

The way I’m looking at it, if NBC submits someone, I will consider them a contender. I’m not going to underestimate this show again.

I should probably have Hartley and Metz about Burton, Ross, and Perkins. I have Metz as the least likely of the main 5 because she has the most stacked category. I have Hartley low because he’s Justin Hartley, I’ll predict him though.

I have Lyric Ross getting in because it just makes sense. Ross warrants a nomination more than Shannon Purser did. She has a big storyline and a narrative. I have Perkins above Burton because Perkins actually did stuff.

Moore is easily getting in at this point. She has too much support to miss. I wouldn’t even count her out for the win.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 197 total)

The topic ‘2018 Emmy Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.