Home Forums Television Anyone remember why “SNL” was nominated for Supporting Actress AND Variety Performance in 2008?

Anyone remember why “SNL” was nominated for Supporting Actress AND Variety Performance in 2008?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Daniel Montgomery
    Participant
    Topics:

Variety stars were bumped to the comedy supporting races after the Emmys dumped the variety performance category, but when I was taking a look back at the years since that happened, I saw that in 2008 Amy Poehler was nominated for Comedy Supporting Actress while Tina Fey earned an Variety Performance nomination for hosting “SNL.”

It was only 5 years ago, but I’m drawing a blank as to why there was that overlap. If there was still a Variety Performance category, why wasn’t Amy Poehler competing there instead of Comedy Supporting Actress?

SaraR
    Topics:

Was Amy Poehler still a cast member then? Maybe they were making a distinction between a host (one-time performance) and a cast member, who’s supporting week in and week out?

ReplyCopy URL
    rp
    Participant
    Topics:

The Emmys got rid of the variety performance category in 2009. Variety series regulars were first sent to the comedy supporting categories in 2008. The 2008 rules did not allow SNL hosts to submit as comedy guest actors, so Fey was submitted and nominated in variety performance.

(The 2009 Emmy rules also didn’t indicate that SNL guest stars could be submitted in the comedy guest acting categories, but Timberlake and Fey were submitted there anyway and ATAS didn’t stop them. They both won, even though nothing in the rules that year indicated they were allowed to be submitted.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel Montgomery
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks rp.

Do you remember what the reasoning was behind moving “SNL” stars to the supporting races while there was still a Variety Performance category? That year, Steven Colbert and David Letterman were both nominated for Variety Performance, so it apparently didn’t affect all continuing variety series and performers.

ReplyCopy URL
    rp
    Participant
    Topics:

The rules that year were that you stayed in Variety Performance if your name was in the title of the show (Colbert, Letterman, etc.), but went to comedy supporting if your name wasn’t in the title of the show (SNL regulars).

I don’t remember any official reasoning being given. The rules came out and that’s what they said.

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

The rule has been the same since 2008. Series regulars on sketch comedy shows can submit in Supporting Actor/ Actress in a Comedy Series. That’s how we got one of the most outrageous entries of all time: Tracey Ullman competing as a supporting actress for “State of the Union” when the whole show was about her.

There was nothing about a performer’s name being in the title of the show. The rule has always been about performers on sketch comedies. I guess the reasoning is that they play characters so they act. People like Letterman and Colbert don’t appear in sketch comedies. They are talk show hosts, deliver monologues and interview guests. Some people have argued that Colbert is always in character but let’s be honest, his work is closer to late night hosts like Jon Stewart than “Saturday Night Live” cast members like Jason Sudeikis.

ReplyCopy URL
    rp
    Participant
    Topics:

There was nothing
    about a performer’s name being in the title of the show.

From page 42 of the 2008 Emmy rules:

Series regulars on sketch comedy shows must enter in either Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series or Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series. They are no longer eligible in 65 – Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program unless the performer/host’s name is in the title of a variety-music series or special.

For whatever the reason, they wanted the late night hosts to stay in the variety performance category that year and SNL regulars to submit in the comedy categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

Thank you for the correction. I don’t remember that part of the rule at all. Maybe because it was later eliminated along with the Variety Performance category?

I know Tracey Ullman was submitted in the supporting category in 2009 but does anyone remember where she submitted in 2008? According to this rule, even though she was a regular in a sketch comedy, she must have entered in Variety Performance because her name was in the title of her show.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.