Home Forums Television BAFTA Television Awards 2016 Predictions

BAFTA Television Awards 2016 Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 149 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

The nominations for the 2015 BAFTA Television Awards are revealed tomorrow morning, 7:35am UK time. 

The awards will honour the best British television shows of 2014, with a first transmission between January 1 and 31st December 2014, on terrestrial, cable, satellite, digital and/or web-based (such as Netflix). 

Non-British programmes are only eligible in the International category, unless they are a co-production both creatively and financially, and aired first in the UK.

AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

One category has already been revealed, the Radio Times audience award – the only award which is decided by the public.

This year, the nominees for the audience award are:
    Cilla – a three part biopic of one of Britian’s most popular and well known entertainers, focussing on her early career.

EastEnders – a continuing drama now in it’s 30th year, which was celebrated with a week episodes containing live segments, including an entire live episode in February. 

Game of Thrones – season 4 of the show was more popular than ever, with the show having won this award in 2013.

The Great British Bake Off – the biggest show on British television of last year, the final of this baking contest was seen by over 13 million viewers, beaten only by the World Cup in viewers on British screens. 

The Missing – a gripping drama about the hunt for a young boy who disappears on holiday. The programme already has Golden Globe nominations. 

Sherlock – off the back of it’s two Emmy wins, Sherlock will be hoping to add a BAFTA to its ever-growing mantlepiece. The first episode of the third series was the 6th most watched programme in Britain last year, and second most watched non-sporting programme. 

Strictly Come Dancing – the series that is known as Dancing With The Stars in the US, SCD continues to deliver big viewer numbers in the autumn/winter schedules. Now with Claudia Winkleman replacing Bruce Forsyth as host alongside Tess Daly, the show continues to impress. Six of the twenty most watched programmes of 2014 in the UK were episodes of Strictly Come Dancing. 

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

My predictions for certain categories:

Best Actress:
    Sarah Lancashire – Happy Valley
    Sheridan Smith – Cilla
    Keeley Hawes – Line of Duty
    Gillian Anderson – The Fall

Best Actor:
    Benedict Cumberbatch – Sherlock
    James Nesbitt – The Missing
    Jamie Dornan – The Fall
    Toby Jones – Marvellous

Supporting Actor:
    Martin Freeman – Sherlock
    James Norton – Happy Valley
    Tom Hardy – Peaky Blinders
    Ed Stoppard – Cilla

Supporting Actress:
    Vicky McClure – Line of Duty
    Janet McTeer – The Honourable Woman
    Joanne Froggatt – Downton Abbey
    Amanda Abbington – Sherlock

Drama Series:
    Happy Valley
    Line of Duty
    Peaky Blinders
    The Honourable Woman

Single Drama:
    Cilla
    Marvellous
    Sherlock
    Murdered By My Boyfriend

International Series:
    Fargo
    True Detective
    The Bridge
    Game of Thrones

ReplyCopy URL
    Josh Labron
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you think Gillian Anderson will get in this year? She didn’t for the first series.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you think Gillian Anderson will get in this year? She didn’t for the first series.

Maybe more wishful thinking with Anderson than the actual likelihood she gets in, but it could happen. Maggie Gyllenhaal has a stronger shot probably in The Honourable Woman, but I’d prefer Anderson to get in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, Gillian didn’t have A Streetcar Named Desire last year, or did she?
    It definitely could happen.
    Joanne Froggat is less likely, especially given how much BAFTA cares about Downton Abbey.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, Gillian didn’t have A Streetcar Named Desire last year, or did she?
    Joanne Froggat is less likely, especially given how much BAFTA cares about Downton Abbey.

I think she did Streetcar on stage, and has an Olivier nod for it. I hope she gets in here for The Fall though. Yeah, Froggatt is a big if, but the Supporting Actress category is arguably the weakest of the four main acting ones this year, so she’s more of a filler while I can’t think of anyone else at the moment.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Hopefully Froggatt’s Golden Globe win will put her more on the BAFTA radar. She is too good not to be at least nominated in the country that should support the show the most. The same could also be said for Maggie Smith.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Why should the country support Downton Abbey the most…cuz it’s British, unlike the other shows competing at the British Academy awards?

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

What I meant was that as a British show it really should be BAFTA who supports the show more than the Emmys and Golden Globes but it is not. All the other shows competing are most loved by Britain so I wasnt saying Downton was more deserving just that if it can get 12 emmy nominations it should really be getting at least some at BAFTA as it is a British show. I cannot think of a single other British show that is loved by the Emmys and not BAFTA.

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”xaviercocteau”]Well, Gillian didn’t have A Streetcar Named Desire last year, or did she?

I think she did Streetcar on stage, and has an Olivier nod for it. I hope she gets in here for The Fall though. Yeah, Froggatt is a big if, but the Supporting Actress category is arguably the weakest of the four main acting ones this year, so she’s more of a filler while I can’t think of anyone else at the moment. [/quote]

Yes, she did it on stage and yes, she has an Olivier nomination. And I believe this could boost her chances. I mean, playing Blanche in an acclaimed West End revival definitely helps. It makes her somehow more appealing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardzilla
    Participant
    Topics:

As is often the case, expect the lesser watched gems of BBC2/BBC4 and Channel 4 to seep in. I’d be surprised to see any Downton or Sherlock. 

I do however think what with Streetcar, Gillian Anderson will be in. 

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

The thing with Downton is that it got a huge push over in the States, and managed to capture the audience over there, because it is different to all programmes that they produce. Here, Downton started at a time when period dramas were ten a penny, as there still kind of are now with Mr Selfridge etc. Other great British shows like Broadchurch, Happy Valley, The Fall in my opinion are better than Downton, and deserve Emmy nods more, but they haven’t had the push to get in the mix. And as they are better shows with a big base in the UK, BAFTA choose to recognise those over the less acclaimed Downton Abbey, hence the love for it here.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Happy Valley was fantastic. I hope it leads the nominations as it was the Best Drama on TV last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

The thing with Downton is that it got a huge push over in the States, and managed to capture the audience over there, because it is different to all programmes that they produce. Here, Downton started at a time when period dramas were ten a penny, as there still kind of are now with Mr Selfridge etc. Other great British shows like Broadchurch, Happy Valley, The Fall in my opinion are better than Downton, and deserve Emmy nods more, but they haven’t had the push to get in the mix. And as they are better shows with a big base in the UK, BAFTA choose to recognise those over the less acclaimed Downton Abbey, hence the love for it here.

I see your point and agree very much. However, I do still think it is slightly surprising that Downton as such a popular drama in the UK never launched better with BAFTA.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.