Home Forums Television DRAMA: 2017 Emmy Nominations Reactions

DRAMA: 2017 Emmy Nominations Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 369 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
  • sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

It goes Hopkins, Brown, Spacey. I don’t see Odenkirk winning unless Better Call Saul also wins Drama Series.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

It goes Hopkins, Brown, Spacey. I don’t see Odenkirk winning unless Better Call Saul also wins Drama Series.

Hopkins? He’s the definition of a name check nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Really? A name check whose show got nominations in all four main acting categories and leads the nominations? Doesn’t sound quite right if you ask me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Really? A name check whose show got nominations in all four main acting categories and leads the nominations? Doesn’t sound quite right if you ask me.

Agreed. Where was Ed Harris if the Emmy voters felt like name-checking Westworld actors? Anthony Hopkins earned his Emmy nomination, and Ed Harris would have been deserving as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

Hopkins is a bigger name than Harris, plus they were all voting for Wright in supporting. Hopkins got 0 precursors

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Jimmi Simpson would have been way more deserving than Ed Harris. Simpson isn’t coming back for season 2, right? Because he’s the type of actor that would get nominated in a second season if the quality holds up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Turd Ferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Odenkirk will win.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Hopkins is a bigger name than Harris, plus they were all voting for Wright in supporting. Hopkins got 0 precursors

Obviously, Hopkins is a bigger name than Harris but if they wanted to name check everyone they could have because this year they actually had the option to check as many nominees as they could.

Wright didn’t get any precursor nominations either (GG or SAG) so your argument about voters voting him in Supporting doesn’t make sense.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

Obviously, Hopkins is a bigger name than Harris but if they wanted to name check everyone they could have because this year they actually had the option to check as many nominees as they could.

Wright didn’t get any precursor nominations either (GG or SAG) so your argument about voters voting him in Supporting doesn’t make sense.

Well I didn’t say they were name checking everyone from the show now did I. I’m sure Harris got a lot of name check votes too, but more people name checked Hopkins. With this voting system, lots of people will receive name check votes but obviously not all of them will actually get nominated.

Precursors are different when you’re competing in supporting since CC is the only one with a supporting category for the different series types. SAG doesn’t have one at all and GG combines drama, comedy, and limited series/tv movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Brown was considered the season standout and front runner until Milo was nominated. He’s more likely to overcome vote splitting than Schreiber winning.

This is Us clearly appeals to some people, but it is not a consensus choice the way that The People v. O.J. Simpson was for example, with nominations across the board. Brown was the frontrunner, but I am hesitant to say that he had a huge lead over whoever was second, with how polarizing This is Us turned out to be with the academy overall.

Jimmi Simpson would have been way more deserving than Ed Harris. Simpson isn’t coming back for season 2, right? Because he’s the type of actor that would get nominated in a second season if the quality holds up.

We already know that Ron Cephas Jones and Michael McKean are coming back as guests next season and I would not be surprised if Jimmi Simpson does too. All of them should be easy nominations in light of Ben Mendelsohn, Ann Dowd and Alison Wright this year (not to mention former forced-into-supporting guests Laverne Cox, Hank Azaria and Hugh Laurie).

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

Michael McKean are coming back as guests next season

Wait, we do? That’s great to hear, I really hope they don’t fuck this up again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t buy this Schreiber win talk that everybody is saying, the show was on a rise and this year lost three big nominations, leaving Liev and Emmy favorite Hank Azaria among the two sole noms for the show and I don’t think Schreiber has that kind of passion for the show or the performance by the industry, it barely registers outside the Emmys.

Spacey is, clearly, not a factor.

If Brown and Ventimiglia are really, and I’m starting to belive in this, spliting the TIU votes, I guess we have three real options:

Bob Odenkirk, Matthew Rhys and Anthony Hopkins.

If the voters are not watching BCS because of the same old Banks nom above better supporting actors, that really leave him in 3rd.

Hopkins is a veteran in a loved show with a great tape, but does he has the power to win this? Far better places for him to win (GG, SAG) has snubbed him, and maybe he was just riding the show’s cocktail and won’t have the power to win it all.

Can Rhys be this year’s Mendehlson? The show lost Drama Series nom, but if anyone can have a passionate vote in a open field that leads to a win, that person is Matthew Rhys. I think I’m gonna bet on him.

ReplyCopy URL
    no one
    Participant
    Topics:

Shows with 3+ episodic noms this century:

2000 West Wing*, Sopranos

2001 West Wing*, Sopranos

2002 West Wing*

2003 Sopranos

2004 Sopranos*

2005 Lost*

2007 Sopranos*

2008 Mad Men*

2009 Mad Men*

2010 Mad Men*

2012 Mad Men

2013 Breaking Bad*

2014 Breaking Bad*

2015 Game of Thrones*

2016 Game of Thrones*

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I assume that you mean writing/directing by “episodic”, so you are saying that The Handmaid’s Tale will win?

ReplyCopy URL
    no one
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes to the first half.

I’m not going to actually predict Handmaid’s Tale to win though even though it would be the most exciting Series win in my lifetime. It would be amazing to see the piles of money Netflix and Amazon have not help them get a Series win before Hulu.

But it feels like a show a chunk of the membership would respond poorly to, and we’ve only had two Drama Series winners with a female lead without a male lead Elizabeth R & Cagney and Lacey.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 369 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.