Home Forums Television DRAMA: 2017 Emmy Nominations Reactions

DRAMA: 2017 Emmy Nominations Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 369 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

Veep won comedy series twice so I don’t think the female drama thing matters.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t buy this Schreiber win talk that everybody is saying, the show was on a rise and this year lost three big nominations, leaving Liev and Emmy favorite Hank Azaria among the two sole noms for the show and I don’t think Schreiber has that kind of passion for the show or the performance by the industry, it barely registers outside the Emmys.

Spacey is, clearly, not a factor.

If Brown and Ventimiglia are really, and I’m starting to belive in this, spliting the TIU votes, I guess we have three real options:

Bob Odenkirk, Matthew Rhys and Anthony Hopkins.

If the voters are not watching BCS because of the same old Banks nom above better supporting actors, that really leave him in 3rd.

Hopkins is a veteran in a loved show with a great tape, but does he has the power to win this? Far better places for him to win (GG, SAG) has snubbed him, and maybe he was just riding the show’s cocktail and won’t have the power to win it all.

Can Rhys be this year’s Mendehlson? The show lost Drama Series nom, but if anyone can have a passionate vote in a open field that leads to a win, that person is Matthew Rhys. I think I’m gonna bet on him.

I have Rhys in last place. The show was snubbed in Series, unlike House of Cards with Spacey (who isn’t winning either, being the definition of a name-check), and Milo Ventimiglia, while great, isn’t stealing votes from the phenomenal Sterling K. Brown as Randall Pearson. The thing with Bob Odenkirk is, Sterling can dominate entire episodes of his show with his emotionally raw work, while Odenkirk is great very briefly in episodes, like with his tirade at the end of “Witness” or his manipulations with the insurance agent at the end of “Expenses.” He never really OWNS an episode like Sterling OWNS several of his. Anthony Hopkins is a serious dark horse to win, but I just think it would be weird if he won as Westworld’s only acting win. I think he is the least likely to win out of the 4 nominees from that show, but a shocking victory for him is not out of the realm of possibility. The Emmys have oddly distributed awards before, like Patricia Clarkson being the only actor from the great ensemble of Six Feet Under to ever win an Emmy or Julianna Margulies being the only actor from ER’s great cast to ever win an Emmy. Sometimes the Emmys work in bizarre and unexpected ways not only with who they award, but who they don’t from the same shows.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

@thedemonhog “This is Us clearly appeals to some people, but it is not a consensus choice the way that The People v. O.J. Simpson was for example, with nominations across the board. Brown was the frontrunner, but I am hesitant to say that he had a huge lead over whoever was second, with how polarizing This is Us turned out to be with the academy overall.” This Is Us clearly wasn’t polarizing with the actors branch, with its 7 nominations there. Since actors are the only ones voting for the best acting, I think Sterling is more of a lock than ever. Plus, he was the only member of the entire cast to get nominated by SAG, even though the cast in general was snubbed for Ensemble. He also a TCA nominee, I think he will win easily, and there is no reason to overthink this category.

“We already know that Ron Cephas Jones and Michael McKean are coming back as guests next season and I would not be surprised if Jimmi Simpson does too.” Thanks for the awesome info!

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I never heard that McKean and Jones are coming back? Did this come from an official source or reliable trade?

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Michael McKean to The New York Times: “I know they want to bring me in for some flashbacks this coming season”.

Ron Cephas Jones to The Wrap: “How many times you’ll see him, we’re not sure yet.  But I know he’s coming back for a decent amount of time, I’m confident, I just can’t specify.” And to HuffPost: “Season 2 will go back and fill in those spaces and those questions people have about William―with his relationship with Jessie or how did he become a musician or how did he get from Memphis to Philadelphia?”

If there were also thirty-eight drama slots for the likes of writing, directing, editing, cinematography and sound mixing instead of five to seven, might we see This is Us take several slots in each?  That This is Us got so many acting nominations means either that it disproportionately connected with that branch or that there is enough space in that field for polarizing contenders.  I would lean more toward the former conclusion if it had received a SAG ensemble nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

McKean’s returning?! Sweet! The Emmys can redeem themselves next year.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: 20 Years of Streep (2016) – Florence Foster Jenkins

ReplyCopy URL
    no one
    Participant
    Topics:

Dramas and comedies are different beasts.

ReplyCopy URL
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

Michael McKean to The New York Times: “I know they want to bring me in for some flashbacks this coming season”.

Ron Cephas Jones to The Wrap: “How many times you’ll see him, we’re not sure yet. But I know he’s coming back for a decent amount of time, I’m confident, I just can’t specify.” And to HuffPost: “Season 2 will go back and fill in those spaces and those questions people have about William―with his relationship with Jessie or how did he become a musician or how did he get from Memphis to Philadelphia?”

If there were also thirty-eight drama slots for the likes of writing, directing, editing, cinematography and sound mixing instead of five to seven, might we see This is Us take several slots in each? That This is Us got so many acting nominations means either that it disproportionately connected with that branch or that there is enough space in that field for polarizing contenders. I would lean more toward the former conclusion if it had received a SAG ensemble nomination.

Also remember, House of Cards had gotten 8 acting nominations last year as well. So I wouldn’t want to read all that much into those acting nominations WITHOUT the supporting of the writers (and to an extent the directors).

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Dramas and comedies are different beasts.

So Emmy voters are sexists when they watch Dramas but not when they watch Comedy or Limited series? And you forget that Homeland won drama series a few years ago and Dane was the lead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t want The Handmaid’s Tale to win, not because it has a female lead but because is really not as great as some liberals want us to believe it is.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t want The Handmaid’s Tale to win, not because it has a female lead but because is really not as great as some liberals want us to believe it is.

I trust my own opinion and I believe it should be between this and “Stranger Things”.

So I saw one of episodes of “This Is Us” to see what the whole fuss was about. I guess the premise might be fun but it wasn’t in execution. Mandy Moore was all ok about living on 6th floor without an elevator with one child but with triplets it’s a big no-no. Sterling K. Brown gets to meet his father’s former male lover. Chrissy Metz is bitching about the fact that her partner doesn’t want a surgery despite the fact that his condition can be resolved by pharmacology. All of that is fine but nothing truly outstanding in either writing, directing or acting. Perhaps there’s more to it but it looks too ordinary given the golden state of TV right now to spend time on it.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

So I saw one of episodes of “This Is Us” to see what the whole fuss was about. I guess the premise might be fun but it wasn’t in execution. Mandy Moore was all ok about living on 6th floor without an elevator with one child but with triplets it’s a big no-no. Sterling K. Brown gets to meet his father’s former male lover. Chrissy Metz is bitching about the fact that her partner doesn’t want a surgery despite the fact that his condition can be resolved by pharmacology. All of that is fine but nothing truly outstanding in either writing, directing or acting. Perhaps there’s more to it but it looks too ordinary given the golden state of TV right now to spend time on it.

Honestly, this kinda snobbish behavior is why I am so glad This Is Us did as well as it did. Sure they didn’t deserve some of the acting nominations but I am glad they got them and the series nomination most importantly. Not everything has to be about visual effects, dungeons, and dragons. A family drama can also connect with the audiences and be an awards player if the execution is well, and in This Is Us it is well.

I personally prefer the other four freshmen dramas before it but I am glad a network series with great acting, popular culture impact, and familiar feeling can also get nominated and be an awards player.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyWinner
    Participant
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s not snobbish to say you don’t think This Is Us is as good as the best shows cable has to offer. If there was a network show that was truly deserving of awards recognition, I think people here would give it the credit it deserves. I don’t think most of us believe This Is Us is that show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Reis
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s not snobbish to say you don’t think This Is Us is as good as the best shows cable has to offer. If there was a network show that was truly deserving of awards recognition, I think people here would give it the credit it deserves. I don’t think most of us believe This Is Us is that show.

Exactly. The problem with This is Us is the series is so overrated. There is three or four episodes that is really great, the rest is just a “network drama”. It’s not even close what The Good Wife was in their fist five and terrific seasons.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 369 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.