Home Forums Television Emmy Slugfests 2017

Emmy Slugfests 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
  • Jack Renaud
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like Goldderby as a whole is writing off “This Is Us”. Yes, it didnt score the writing/directing noms, but it is contending in the Casting category. “The Practice” was the last show to win Drama Series without those two bids, but it did compete in Casting. This is a type of show that has such an emotional appeal, it could prevail in a plurality vote, especially with its broad appeal. Drama series is the hardest category this year, in my opinion. Am i crazy??

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think it’s crazy to predict This Is Us, I imagine if they had only submitted the pilot or Memphis or whatever, they would have gotten nominated in writing and directing and we’d be considering them a front runner.

Almost everytime I start thinking about a new category i think it’s the hardest one, there’s a lot of really difficult ones where it seems like any of the nominees could win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Turd Ferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Goldderby is correct to write off This is Us. It cannot win. Obviously, the passion is all for the acting. In the writing and Directing branches, it wasn’t able to overcome vote splitting whereas Better Call Saul was.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

This is Us was only nominated by a few branches and even the one that really liked it snubbed it in lead actress. But it did still manage a series nomination somehow, so there is something there. The plurality vote scares me a little, as I worry that the prestige dramas are drawing votes away from each other, not This is Us. This is also the same academy that awarded Modern Family five times recently. Not going to move This is Us up from fifth though and that is where I think that it finishes if we saw vote totals. Not like it got PGA or SAG ensemble. And The Practice was a different time.

True Detective won directing under the tape system. Breaking Bad won DGA’s popular vote. This year is the last stand for the writers to have a unique identity with the whole branch voting. There is ample opportunity for them to deviate from the series winner in drama and writing or they could just not, like the last two years and I will never predict them to again under this system, unless vote-splitting is a factor like in comedy.

ReplyCopy URL
    wilfredpickles
    Participant
    Topics:

The article Marcus just published on this site has me worried about This is Us too. I’m not familiar with the survey that was used to reach those results but it could be indicative since, as Riley just pointed out, almost every other drama series nominee is a prestige drama that I could make arguments for in terms of a win. Hopefully the preferential system would’ve been more beneficial to TIU.

Fuck this was a bleak article, even has me concerned that Modern Family could end up winning something again at some point

http://www.goldderby.com/article/2017/2017-emmys-this-is-us-modern-family-fargo-news/

ReplyCopy URL
    Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

After the Oscars pick Floplight as Best Picture a couple of years ago it wouldn’t surprise me if This Is Us win Drama Series but that would be a tragedy since that show is after HoC the least deserving of the nominees, it is in fact a shame that is in that race when The Leftover, Bates Motel and The Americans are not.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I have both THIS IS US and Brown triumphing.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Nicholson at the Oscars (1970) – Five Easy Pieces

ReplyCopy URL
    Stretchy
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like Goldderby as a whole is writing off “This Is Us”. Yes, it didnt score the writing/directing noms, but it is contending in the Casting category. “The Practice” was the last show to win Drama Series without those two bids, but it did compete in Casting. This is a type of show that has such an emotional appeal, it could prevail in a plurality vote, especially with its broad appeal. Drama series is the hardest category this year, in my opinion. Am i crazy??

It’s competing against all the other first-year shows that actually got writing and directing noms. What exactly is your point?

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

The article Marcus just published on this site has me worried about This is Us too. I’m not familiar with the survey that was used to reach those results but it could be indicative since, as Riley just pointed out, almost every other drama series nominee is a prestige drama that I could make arguments for in terms of a win. Hopefully the preferential system would’ve been more beneficial to TIU.

Fuck this was a bleak article, even has me concerned that Modern Family could end up winning something again at some point

http://www.goldderby.com/article/2017/2017-emmys-this-is-us-modern-family-fargo-news/

I don’t think we need to worry. This would be telling of the people’s choice awards but not the emmys

ReplyCopy URL
    Jack Renaud
    Participant
    Topics:

I just learned about this from looking at the predictions from GoldDerby’s “Expert” categories. Four of the 15 experts are predicting “This Is Is” putting it in 2nd place (behind Stranger Things). I’d like to hear their cases for the show, as i currently have it in 3rd, and pondering on moving it up

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

I just learned about this from looking at the predictions from GoldDerby’s “Expert” categories. Four of the 15 experts are predicting “This Is Is” putting it in 2nd place (behind Stranger Things). I’d like to hear their cases for the show, as i currently have it in 3rd, and pondering on moving it up

i hope that heap of a mess losses hard

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AndrewsArt

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Comedy Lead & Supporting Actress
    with Amanda, Charlie, Riley, Rob, Tony & Zach
    http://www.goldderby.com/article/2017/2017-comedy-supporting-actress-emmy-predictions-snl-anna-chlusmky

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Comedy Lead & Supporting Actor
    http://www.goldderby.com/article/2017/2017-comedy-supporting-actor-emmy-predictions-alec-baldwin

ReplyCopy URL
    jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

Comedy Lead & Supporting Actress
    http://www.goldderby.com/article/2017/2017-comedy-supporting-actress-emmy-predictions-snl-anna-chlusmky

Can we stop acting like Leslie Jones is even in the same class of McKinnon and Bayer.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

YouTube comment on the comedy actress video: “What’s with tension between Riley and Amanda! Yikes.”

Just you wait! It reaches a boiling point in one of the drama videos.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.