Emmy Slugfests 2017

Home // Forums // Television // Emmy Slugfests 2017

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 102 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
replies
views
users
  • jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

When will the drama slugfests be posted? I got a YT notification that they were up but they aren’t on the channel.

Thanks for doing these btw – always enjoyable. Will there be a creative arts one at any point?

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

One of the drama ones is on YouTube now and the catch-all movie/limited one should be up by tomorrow.  We have more banked.  Any thoughts on content?

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Any thoughts on content?

I’ve watched all the ones that have been posted and they’ve all been great and pretty insightful (although I do wish everyone would stop interrupting each other so much- it’s hardly a wonder that there’s so much tension!). The drama supporting actor discussion was particularly great because I’m really on the fence about Lithgow and Cephas Jones so it was good to hear everyone’s thoughts.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, I pretty much only talk when Rob comes to me and I just try to get everything out then before sitting out for the rest of the category’s discussion.  I was taken aback by how much more receptive the group was to my argument for Jeffrey Wright.  Makes me think that I should be betting on him as the upset instead of Ron Cephas Jones.  More more!

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

I was taken aback by how much more receptive the group was to my argument for Jeffrey Wright.  Makes me think that I should be betting on him as the upset instead of Ron Cephas Jones

I was shocked by that as well but I thought that might be a slight personal preference thing from them that was clouding their view of it. That said, it did give me enough pause to stick with Lithgow for now as maybe Cephas Jones really isn’t the clear alternative.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, I pretty much only talk when Rob comes to me and I just try to get everything out then before sitting out for the rest of the category’s discussion. I was taken aback by how much more receptive the group was to my argument for Jeffrey Wright. Makes me think that I should be betting on him as the upset instead of Ron Cephas Jones. More more!

You should! Say you’re a voter in the actors branch and you’re wanting to reward at least 1 Westworld actor. Well then, since you’re already voting for MBB over Newton and obviously the overdue career-best work from Moss over everyone else, including Wood, and Sterling K. Brown (most likely) over Hopkins, than you could easily turn to Wright as your place to recognize a member of the Westworld cast. You might even feel some Lithgow fatigue after he received his SAG win + standing ovation and his Globe nod over Wright and his Critics Choice win and his multiple previous Emmy wins for Drama and Comedy… “sigh” Ah, screw it. Just be smart, play it safe, and predict Lithgow like me. The Crown won’t sweep both of its only acting nods, but since it managed to actually win for both Foy and Lithgow at SAG, it makes sense that at least 1 of them will win at the Emmys. It is already Lithgow, just it is already Kidman, Ahmed, Louis-Dreyfus, and Moss in some of the other acting categories. I feel like Drama Supporting Actor has become such a boring category to predict, and this coming from someone who thinks Lithgow has only the 2nd best episode submission, with Wright’s being slightly more layered and emotionally impactful for me. David Harbour also has a great tape, but Lithgow really surprised me with how he truly felt like a whole other human being, by how much he seemed to genuinely become Winston Churchill.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I was taken aback by how much more receptive the group was to my argument for Jeffrey Wright. Makes me think that I should be betting on him as the upset instead of Ron Cephas Jones

I was shocked by that as well but I thought that might be a slight personal preference thing from them that was clouding their view of it. That said, it did give me enough pause to stick with Lithgow for now as maybe Cephas Jones really isn’t the clear alternative.

STICK WITH LITHGOW. He has a perfect Emmy bait episode in a perfect Emmy bait role in a perfect Emmy bait show. Even though The Crown under-performed overall, Lithgow is still one of the biggest locks of the night, and I would find it tragically ironic if YOU, one of the biggest Crown fans of Goldderby, failed to predict Lithgow’s win.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

I would find it tragically ironic if YOU, one of the biggest Crown fans of Goldderby, failed to predict Lithgow’s win.

Haha Riley is right about the type of person the Emmys rewarded last year and Cephas Jones fits that perfectly. Lithgow losing the Globe when he had no reason to also concerns me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

By the way, I have actually seen ALL of the episode submissions for Best Drama Supporting Actor, and here’s how I would rank them. Remember that all art is entirely subjective, and that I am entitled to my opinions as you are yours.

1. Jeffrey Wright (Westworld) “The Well-Tempered Clavier” (I almost cried at Wright’s work in this episode. I even co-wrote an article with Marcus James Dixon analyzing his Emmy chances.) http://www.goldderby.com/article/2017/jeffrey-wright-westworld-bernard-2017-emmys-news/

2. John Lithgow (The Crown) “Assassins” (Why was this episode called “Assassins” exactly? The title makes no sense. Lithgow finally convinced me that he would be a worthy winner with his raw and realistic acting in this episode. Also, just for the record, I have no idea why Claire Foy submitted this as her episode, since she does nothing of interest, her acting isn’t that extraordinary. A mediocre submission, which I think says that even she knows there’s no point in bothering to submit a solid episode since that category belongs to Elisabeth Moss anyway.)

3. David Harbour (Stranger Things) “Chapter Eight: The Upside Down” (He would be a great winner for such a great breakout turn. I thought he was the glue holding the show together in the earlier episodes, and his character like the show in general only got better and more layered as it went along. Good for Harbour for at least having the dignity to submit his very best episode, even though it still won’t be enough to take down Lithgow.)

4. Johnathan Banks (Better Call Saul) “Witness” (It’s obviously nowhere near the level of “Five-O,” but I liked it much more than his submission “Bali Ha’i” last year.)

5. Ron Cephas Jones (This Is Us) “Memphis” (Like Tony pointed out in the slugfest, Jones gets overshadowed by the actor playing his younger elf in flashbacks. Heck, even Bryan Tyree Henry gives a better performance than Jones in this episode. I like William as a character, but this simply is not an Emmy-win-worthy performance, in my honest opinion.)

6. Mandy Patinkin (Homeland) “America First” (He does literally nothing in his episode and if he wins it will be almost as bad as Margo Martindale’s WTF Emmy-winning cameos, right down to the potential I.O.U. for this role factor. Like Foy, I believe that his terrible submission is proof that there is such a lock in that category that not only the industry, but even some of the actual nominees acknowledge it. At least Patinkin had serviceable and merely generic writing to work from, unlike poor Michael Kelly with his Razzie-worthy House of Cards script.)

7. Michael Kelly (House of Cards) “Chapter 64” (No, just NO. Kelly was worthy for Season 3, an annoying name-check for Season 4, and now this has gotten Ty Burrell levels of ludicrous in my book.)

If you took out Kelly, Patinkin, Banks, and even Jones and replaced any of them with Michael McKean (Better Call Saul) and Mahershala Ali (Marvel’s Luke Cage) this category would instantly be vastly improved in my eyes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I would find it tragically ironic if YOU, one of the biggest Crown fans of Goldderby, failed to predict Lithgow’s win.

Haha Riley is right about the type of person the Emmys rewarded last year and Cephas Jones fits that perfectly. Lithgow losing the Globe when he had no reason to also concerns me.

That was to Hugh Laurie for The Night Manager who isn’t competing this Emmy year, and even if he was wouldn’t be competing in the Drama races. Also, Christian Slater won that same Globe category for Mr. Robot yet got snubbed by the Emmys entirely. Remember that? Meanwhile Rami Malek lost the Globe for that show (which won the Globe for Drama Series) yet still won the Emmy. Ignore the Globes. Just like with the Oscars they can be fun but don’t mean much as a reliable precursor.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

I wasn’t saying the Globes were in any way the be-all-and-end-all as they are far from that, just that if Lithgow has been proven by that he is beatable there so can’t be undeniable here. I stand by my comments that there was no reason for him to lose to Laurie, who couldn’t even beat a whole category of vote splitting at last year’s Emmys.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I wasn’t saying the Globes were in any way the be-all-and-end-all as they are far from that, just that if Lithgow has been proven by that he is beatable there so can’t be undeniable here. I stand by my comments that there was no reason for him to lose to Laurie, who couldn’t even beat a whole category of vote splitting at last year’s Emmys.

Malek proved he was beatable at the Globes yet still won the Emmy.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

You’re missing the point. I am predicting Lithgow still. Just saying that Globes prove he is not unbeatable as many (incl. most of those in the slugfest except Riley) are saying

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

You’re missing the point. I am predicting Lithgow still. Just saying that Globes prove he is not unbeatable as many (incl. most of those in the slugfest except Riley) are saying

I just think the Globes loss is made irrelevant due to the fact that Lithgow won’t be competing with Laurie.

ReplyCopy URL
    jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

Any thoughts on content?

Really enjoying these so far. It’s so difficult to find any Emmy prediction content where the speakers actually have a clue what they are talking about. I will say, though, that these videos are maybe a touch crowded. I don’t feel like I get to hear enough from each person before the conversation moves on.

Specifically, I was shocked by the swell of support behind Hopkins. I thought he was pretty much considered to be a “thank you for the nomination.” Unlike most of Goldderby, I actually was really happy that his great performance was recognized (even if it was maybe the wrong category).

I was also surprised that so many on the panel were confident that vote splitting would sink Brown. We saw last year that if a frontrunner is out far ahead enough, they can overcome to split, but maybe I was downplaying that too much as a factor in my own personal predictions. As I recall, pretty much everyone still thought that McKinnon would win despite vote splitting over in comedy, no?

I agree, Riley, that Jones perfectly fits the profile of the type of winner we got for the most part last year…but I’m still going with Lithgow.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 102 total)
Reply To: Emmy Slugfests 2017

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.