Home Forums Television Emmy Slugfests 2017

Emmy Slugfests 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 102 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
  • Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved Amanda’s angst about casting in the Limited Series one. Too funny.

Why do you find it funny? I have The Night Of winning currently, but I’m on the fence about making a last minute switch to Big Little Lies. House of Cards, True Detective, a lot of time Casting wins in general feel like they award “who got the most celebrities” to be cast.

It’s true at the Oscars as well; Moonlight, Spotlight, Birdman. Shows/films with large (but sometimes not the biggest) casts do well. GoT, Veep, Modern Family, People vs OJ Simpson. That’s why I have Stranger Things and BLL winning their categories. This Is Us is probably second behind Stranger Things for this reason also.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Why do you find it funny? I have The Night Of winning currently, but I’m on the fence about making a last minute switch to Big Little Lies. House of Cards, True Detective, a lot of time Casting wins in general feel like they award “who got the most celebrities” to be cast.

Because it’s just so damn true. Big Little Lies will probably win casting despite the fact that, as Amanda said, it’s casting process was basically Reese Witherspoon picking up her phone. Her angst just perfectly captured how ridiculous the whole thing could be and that’s why I found it hilarious.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

You guys found it on YouTube already, but the official article is up now for the comedy series slugfest, with myself, Amanda, Charlie and Tony.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sagand
    Participant
    Topics:

All the Way missed casting, but it got twice as many nominations as The Wizard of Lies, most notably including directing. All the Way also had stronger reviews, with Bryan Cranston becoming the first movie performance ever nominated for a TCA Award to boot, so it seemed to have more heat.

Maybe they are of about equal standings, casting vs director if you take off ‘All The Way’s makeup and hair which ‘WoL’ wasn’t in the running for. ‘ATW’ lost to the ‘period’ episode of Sherlock that actually was a one off movie, whereas ‘WoL’ is against a standard episode. I hope I’m wrong and Black Mirror wins, but with it’s nomination under performance and Sherlock continuing to decline, ‘WoL’ still seems the least weak of the bunch on paper.

There is something to be said for how he has not won anything and Gold Derby has been willing him to happen all year. But he did get the SAG nomination and The Night Of has been performing better with the industry than any other group, as we see from the dual supporting actor nominations.

Where else were the supporting actors meant to show up? SAG doesn’t have supporting races for Limited series & Globes is against all other TV. I don’t keep up with all the TV awards the way you do so I genuinely don’t know is it more support or more guaranteed spots?

Rami Malek and Tatiana Maslany beg to differ.

And both of them had once in a lifetime characters to play (in Maslany’s case around 14 characters of a lifetime.) It would be shocking if those parts didn’t define at least a stage of if not their whole careers. Does anyone think in five years we’ll talk of how unique and interesting Riz Ahmed was in this role.

Yeah, he is not in the poster’s billing block. Hopefully his agent does a better job negotiating next time.

My comment was mainly making lights of those who think being in a big film in going to help a lot. Ahmed being billed eighth in a Star Wars is going to help as much as Turturro being eighth billed in a Transformers film i.e. not at all.

The Emmys did go with breakouts Sterling K. Brown and Courtney B. Vance over veterans/stars John Travolta and Cuba Gooding Jr. though.

Both Travolta and Gooding were talked about as weak links of the production right from air date, neither got SAG nomination where Brown and Vance both did and Gooding even missed the Globes which he shouldn’t have based solely on level of fame. It’s not a good comparison, a better one in my opinion is Harrington / Dinklage.

Harrington being the internet favourite playing the hot brooding lead who doesn’t really display much emotion. Dinklage being more the oddball dialogue heavy part adding some comedy to proceedings but plenty of heart as well. (Both Dinklage and Turturro make speeches whereas Harrington and Ahmed say as little as possible.) The argument was made that they wouldn’t split the vote as well. Harrington won the GoldDerby award (admittedly Dinklage wasn’t nominated), was the predicted frontrunner and lead over 2:1 on the TVline poll of the race (http://tvline.com/2016/08/29/emmys-2016-supporting-actor-drama-nominees-who-should-win-poll/). But that didn’t stop Mendelsohn coming through the middle for a guest spot. I’m just betting it doesn’t stop De Niro or Cumberbatch either.

Stranger Things and Veep just won the Gold Derby Awards, respectively with 22.6% and 21.6% of the vote. I agree though that “17%” is treated too easily as an excuse for unlikely contenders to win, when there might not be much to justify why a likely contender would not easily get more votes.

They were in seven way races, the theoretical minimum you can win with in a seven way race is 14.3% they got around 50% more than that. 50% more than the minimum in a 6 way race is 25% I’d be fine with using that number and think that is the minimum you need to be real world competitive in a multiway race.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

There is something to be said for how he has not won anything and Gold Derby has been willing him to happen all year. But he did get the SAG nomination and The Night Of has been performing better with the industry than any other group, as we see from the dual supporting actor nominations.

Where else were the supporting actors meant to show up? SAG doesn’t have supporting races for Limited series & Globes is against all other TV. I don’t keep up with all the TV awards the way you do so I genuinely don’t know is it more support or more guaranteed spots?

By “industry”, I meant both the Emmys and the guilds. Critics’ Choice shut it out. TCA and the Satellites did not give it any acting nominations. You and I both predicted the supporting actor nominations, but few others did. They got those nominations without any buzz for them. Gold Derby also did not nominate them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Gold Derby is still rolling out the slugfests from last month. Here is variety/reality.

ReplyCopy URL
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

Gold Derby is still rolling out the slugfests from last month. Here is variety/reality.

Any plans for doing new slugfests this week? Kind of like a last minute discussion after information from the creative arts?

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

No plans at the moment, but the drama video from before is still yet to be posted.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tony Ruiz
    Participant
    Topics:

These were absolutely a lot of fun to do.

The thing we all need to remember is that we are in a new era of Emmy voting. We don’t yet have enough data to see how this new system will impact the winners. Is vote-splitting a thing? Maybe yes, and maybe no.

What make me really happy is that in many categories, there are multiple deserving winners. So even though my predictions may be wrong, there is a strong possibility that the winner will make me happy. I just wish it was easier to predict.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

These were absolutely a lot of fun to do.

The thing we all need to remember is that we are in a new era of Emmy voting. We don’t yet have enough data to see how this new system will impact the winners. Is vote-splitting a thing? Maybe yes, and maybe no.

What make me really happy is that in many categories, there are multiple deserving winners. So even though my predictions may be wrong, there is a strong possibility that the winner will make me happy. I just wish it was easier to predict.

Same, I assure you they were every bit as much fun for me to watch as they were for you to take part in.

Just be grateful Westworld is getting shut out LOL! Even though I personally loved that show, the more it resonates I get why it is so polarizing. Am I the only person who thinks Evan Rachel Wood, not Thandie Newton is Westworld’s best shot at a major Emmy victory? If the Scientology thing does do Moss in, I think Westworld having more nominations and wins than The Crown might mean that it is Wood and not Claire Foy who is the clear alternative.

Do you honestly think “Chicanery” can still win Writing, or is that just wishful thinking on my part? Also, of The Night Of’s Supporting Actors, who would you vote for to win the Emmy? I know you loved that show like I did, and I have Bill Camp in a close 2nd behind BLL frontrunner Alexander Skarsgard.

ReplyCopy URL
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you honestly think “Chicanery” can still win Writing, or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

I’m still predicting it. I think it’s the ultimate litmus test for the ‘passion vote’ theory we all believe was responsible for many wins last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you honestly think “Chicanery” can still win Writing, or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

I’m still predicting it. I think it’s the ultimate litmus test for the ‘passion vote’ theory we all believe was responsible for many wins last year.

Even though I am now predicting “Offred” for Writing, I really hope you’re right. Forget Better Call Saul obviously deserving to be called an Emmy-winning TV Series, I want “Chicanery” specifically to be called an Emmy-winning episode of television.

ReplyCopy URL
    Kevin Jacobsen
    Participant
    Topics:

Sunday’s chat was my first slugfest in four years! I last chatted with Tom O’Neil, Marcus Dixon et al. in 2013 after the Breaking Bad finale.

It was an absolute blast. Thanks to Matt Noble and Amanda Spears for an amazing chat. Hopefully I’ll be on many more to come.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Sunday’s chat was my first slugfest in four years! I last chatted with Tom O’Neil, Marcus Dixon et al. in 2013 after the Breaking Bad finale.

It was an absolute blast. Thanks to Matt Noble and Amanda Spears for an amazing chat. Hopefully I’ll be on many more to come.

Congratulations! You handled yourself in a professional and mature manner, and I was very impressed. 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    CanadianFan
    Participant
    Topics:

Nice job.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.