Home Forums Television Emmy Slugfests 2017

Emmy Slugfests 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 91 through 102 (of 102 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
  • Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you honestly think “Chicanery” can still win Writing, or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

I’m still predicting it. I think it’s the ultimate litmus test for the ‘passion vote’ theory we all believe was responsible for many wins last year.

How is this the ultimate litmus test? What about the Mr. Robot pilot last year? Is The Handmaid’s Tale not more likely to take this in a split with Stranger Things?

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

@riley The Handmaid’s Tale will probably win Writing, but in my opinion “Chicanery” should win. Just for the record, I genuinely think “Battle of the Bastards” had better writing than the Mr Robot pilot, and was thrilled the Emmys agreed with me on that one. I honestly believe that even The Crown or Westworld has a better shot at winning Writing than Stranger Things, where the writing is easily (in my opinion, obviously) the weakest part of the show. I get Stranger Things possibly winning Directing to go with its obvious wins for MBB and Series, but Writing seriously? I don’t buy it, I just CAN’T.

ReplyCopy URL
    wilfredpickles
    Participant
    Topics:

I honestly believe that even The Crown or Westworld has a better shot at winning Writing than Stranger Things, where the writing is easily (in my opinion, obviously) the weakest part of the show.

I think that the writing is the weakest part of Stranger Things, Westworld, and even GoT. Battle of the Bastards won in a sweep, whereas Mr. Robot could’ve easily won in another year (and probably should’ve, it’s still just about the best episode of the show in my opinion).

I agree that if Stranger Things is winning Series then Directing seems likely, and that Handmaid’s Tale or The Crown seem like the more ‘writerly’ options.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I honestly believe that even The Crown or Westworld has a better shot at winning Writing than Stranger Things, where the writing is easily (in my opinion, obviously) the weakest part of the show.

I think that the writing is the weakest part of Stranger Things, Westworld, and even GoT. Battle of the Bastards won in a sweep, whereas Mr. Robot could’ve easily won in another year (and probably should’ve, it’s still just about the best episode of the show in my opinion).

I agree that if Stranger Things is winning Series then Directing seems likely, and that Handmaid’s Tale or The Crown seem like the more ‘writerly’ options.

I only liked your comment after reading the “I think that the writing is the weakest part of Stranger Things” part LOL! I completely disagree that the writing is the weakest part of the latter 2 shows, although GoT Season 5 generally sucked ass in my opinion. Plus the last few episodes of the most recent season had some irritating plot holes. Westworld is also fantastic and emotionally effective, although I do recognize that for some parts of it you really need to suspend your disbelief. Still, I them both to be overall very well-written tv shows, with storylines and characters I had get invested into and buy their development and arcs. I have Handmaid’s winning writing for the dynamite pilot episode as well as Writing, but losing Drama Series to Stranger Things due to its overwhelming popularity. Its a big risk, but I think it will pay off. 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    wilfredpickles
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not necessarily saying that Westworld or GoT have bad writing; I’m a huge fan of the former in particular, including its writing. I actually don’t even have a problem with the writing in Stranger Things.

I just think that these shows have other categories in which they are more impressive, and that they wouldn’t win writing under the new system without a sweep mentality.

I know that the genres have significantly different sets of nominees, but something like Master of None winning writing last year with only 4 nominations seems indicative to me of the type of winner we could see without GoT in the drama races: (potentially) a Series nominee with critical acclaim that has respect butu isn’t necessarily expected to perform that well elsewhere. That’s why I don’t think Chicanery winning is impossible, or Assassins for that matter. Offred seems undeniable though.

Finally, as much as I’m a Westworld fan, I didn’t think the finale was a smart choice for writing. I loved it, but I understand why someone unfamiliar with the show may find it confusing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

I have Chicanery in first for writing because there is obviously passion behind it. It was definitely a writer’s episode. It had enough passion to get nominated for writing without a huge name. The writers have always liked Better Call Saul in general, look at WGA. The writers like the show and that episode has passion. It seems obvious to me.

It lost WGA to The Americans, but that was for its most acclaimed season. This was its most divisive season.

In the argument against Stranger Things in writing, what Riley said. That argument also applies to Westworld. Stranger Things has an advantage because it is the front runner.

The Crown has consistently underperformed.

The Handmaids Tale is an obvious choice, but I like my argument for Better Call Saul better.

1) BCS
    Handmaid’s
    Stranger Things
    The Americans
    The Crown
    6) Westworld

I feel like an idiot for having Westworld last.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Hunter-ish.
    ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

I could easily see anything but Weswtworld winning Writing to be honest. Stranger Things is the frontrunner, Handmaid’s is of the moment, The Crown is the most writerly show, Better Call Saul got nominated despite a stupid number of submissions and The Americans is the only consistent nominee here.

Predicting Handmaid’s as of now but hoping for The Crown 😀

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

I honestly believe that even The Crown or Westworld has a better shot at winning Writing than Stranger Things, where the writing is easily (in my opinion, obviously) the weakest part of the show. I get Stranger Things possibly winning Directing to go with its obvious wins for MBB and Series

I agree. I’m actually predicting The Crown for writing while Stranger Things for directing.

I have Chicanery in first for writing because there is obviously passion behind it. It was definitely a writer’s episode. It had enough passion to get nominated for writing without a huge name. The writers have always liked Better Call Saul in general, look at WGA. The writers like the show and that episode has passion. It seems obvious to me.

I want Chicanery to win but I’m sadly not predicting it. I hope I’ll be wrong.

ReplyCopy URL
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

How is this the ultimate litmus test? What about the Mr. Robot pilot last year? Is The Handmaid’s Tale not more likely to take this in a split with Stranger Things?

Chicanery is one of those episodes of television that not only gets unrivaled critical acclaim across the board (A Grades, scores of 10/10), but is also absolutely loved by fans as well (just look at the reaction to the episode on IMBD, Reddit and here on Goldderby).

The fact that Chicanery overcame potential vote-splitting with eight Better Call Saul episodes submitted on the ballot (despite dropping out from writing last year) indicates lots of passionate support for this one episode. Also, WGA did nominate Better Call Saul for four individual episodes (and that was for season two, not season 3), so it’s not like the guild isn’t here for it.

All this makes me believe that it’s actually Chicanery’s potential win, and not Stranger Things (it lost WGA to the Americans) or Handmaid’s Tale, that will be the ultimate litmus test for the passion vote.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:
Viewing 12 posts - 91 through 102 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.