Home Forums Television Emmys 2016: What shows can take down Game of Thrones and Veep?

Emmys 2016: What shows can take down Game of Thrones and Veep?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Tom O’Neil
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Any hope for new winners in the stop series slots? Or are we doomed to see repeats — like Emmy voters usually give us?

Boidiva02
    Participant
    Topics:

I think both will repeat this year.    I think the only changes will be in various acting categories. I do think Taraji P. Henson will win in Best Actress, i just am not seeing Viola repeating this year.    She won last year based in part on the strength of the pilot episode and the buzz surrounding it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

House of Cards could if they have a stellar season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Eng
    Participant
    Topics:

With the popular vote having much more effect on winners this year (see the sweeps for Game of Thrones & Veep as well as the fact that the episode submissions did not have as much influence on the winners as in years past), I think we will see even more repeat winners. If voters aren’t required to watch anything, the chances of them ticking the same names off again are much higher. So, as of now, I would bet on both GoT and Veep winning again. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Jaqen H’ghar
    Topics:

Mr. Robot for everything. This could be the biggest hit for USA Network ever, blowing even Monk and Political Animals out of the water. Justifiable wins across the board for Drama Series, Writing, Directing, Lead Actor, and Supporting Actor. 

In Comedy, nothing yet to prevent Veep from repeating.  

ReplyCopy URL
    jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

With the new populist voting system I see GoT winning for several more years if not for the rest of its run. 

I think Veep might be a bit more vulnerable if a strong enough contender comes along but I don’t really see anything yet…  

ReplyCopy URL
    Jalal Haddad
    Participant
    Topics:

I doubt anything could beat Game of Thrones next season.

Depending on how good season two of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is I could see it beating Veep

With this new voting system I think it is near impossible for a new show to win in it’s first season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alienware
    Participant
    Topics:

Game of Thrones is the shoe-in favorite to repeat, unless season 6 bombs big time, or some other show unexpectedly gathers lots and lots of buzz.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rooney Moore
    Participant
    Topics:

With this new voting system I think it is near impossible for a new show to win in it’s first season.

Well, I must disagree. The guild awards like SAG, WGA, DGA and PGA have always been determined by popularity vote, and shows like Mad Men, Homeland, The Sopranos, The West Wing, Boardwalk Empire, Lost, Six Feet Under (nearly all Dramas in recent memory acutally) won at least two or three of those awards just after their first year. And now the Emmys will be like a combination of all guilds, it’s actually more likely to see a new show to prevail than previous years.

The quite contrary, I believe, the hard thing will be a show in its 4th or 5th seasons to win big, unless they make a resurgence in popular culture like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones did.
    A good show gets all of its buzz in its first year when all the critics praising to the heaven and the industry follows that path, as I’ve said it’s very hard after some point to win for a show until they kill off a main charcter and attract the medias attention somehow. In some cases the tape system was actually preventing that to happen and gave a chance to those shows with good episodes no matter which season they are in. (See: Dexter and House’s Directing wins)

Things might be different on the Comedy side because a really acclaimed show from that genre doesn’t come to the scene so often as it do with Drama, that was also one of the reasons why MF, Parsons and JLD kept winning for so long.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rooney Moore
    Participant
    Topics:

With the popular vote having much more effect on winners this year (see the sweeps for Game of Thrones & Veep as well as the fact that the episode submissions did not have as much influence on the winners as in years past), I think we will see even more repeat winners. If voters aren’t required to watch anything, the chances of them ticking the same names off again are much higher. So, as of now, I would bet on both GoT and Veep winning again. 

Interesting. I’ve always thought the opposite. I think tape system was the main reason why we saw so many repeats on the Emmys.
    That’s not necessarily a bad thing though, since this is TV we’re talking about. And if someone/something is still the best for more than once/twice they should keep getting awarded for it.
     No one has any doubt about Sheldon is very funny when he’s drunk, right? But how frustraing was it to submit a similar performance every year and kep winning with that? Everyone was praising the tape system when it awarded Bryan Cranston 4 times but Doris Roberts also submitted 4 similar episodes when she’s done similar things in it  and also won 4 times. So was it just a coincidence or the wisdom of Academy?
    In the end, tape system had much more pros than popularity vote but repeat winners were not one of them. Emmys are more like Oscars now. Remember how hard is it for same actor to win more than one Oscar in the same decade even if they are continues to be the best in their category?

I thought Veep was already a vulnerable winner since it won only Writing and Casting outside of acting categories. Academy members who were sick of MD were divided between Transparent and Veep and they could free to move on to the latter next year if Transparent continues to get good reviews and changes its tone to a lighter show.

I also think some of this years winners like JLD who has won 4 times in a row(Did you guys see the faces of other women in her category when her name was announced? They were about to puke, lol. Especially Lily Tomlin.) She will get more than few last place votes next year solely because people will want to see a new name. This year they probably weren’t aware of the power of their second or third rankings. Like even the people who loved Schumer and voted for her probably thought ”She’s JLD! Yes, she’s won too many times but I guess it doesn’t hurt to put her in 2nd, since I’m not really familiar with the other candidates in this category” but will it also be the case next year?

Drama side is even more competitive. Even the biggest popularity contest SAG which loves to repeat, repeat and repeat didn’t give the same actor/ensemble an award more than twice in the last decade. Because just about every year, a good Drama with lots of buzz comes to the scene and people are suddenly turn their back to their latest favourite and decide to award the new kid on the block. Game of Thrones might be everyone’s favourite show right now, but how enthusiastic will people feel to reward a show that has already been awarded 12 times in the same year? I would have voted for a different thing just for a variety if there is a good option among the nominees.. Anyway I’m pretty confident that the show won’t triumph its all time record any time soon.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I dont think that GOT will be unbeatable (there is a chance that it could be an off season since its the first without books to rely on) but I think we could see Homeland sneak back into the winners circle there. As for Veep, I still dont really get the appeal of the show but a lot of poeple like it a lot. The only show thus far I could see taking it down in Modern Family.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jw79bull
    Participant
    Topics:

How To Get Away With Murder ….it is ON FIRE this season!! PURE FIYAH

ReplyCopy URL
    Mihael Crncec
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see any show taking them down. At least not currently. If ‘House of Cards’ has a stellar season, it might be able to take down GoT. 

Veep is safe as a winner, so far, since fall comedies haven’t delivered much.

However, I also believe Viola Davis is done with receiving awards for now and that the Academy will reward someone else (Taraji P. Henson or Robin Wright, in my opinion). Dinklage won’t win again, Tony Hale won’t win again, neither will Uzo Aduba. Tambor is a mystery. I think most of the ‘Transparent’ love has run its course. There will be changes and again some farewell hugs (Christine Baranski, maybe? Please.).

I don’t see anyone taking down JLD. If Poehler couldn’t for so many years, neither can Schumer. Perhaps maybe Tomlin or Fonda if they get in next year. 

Gold Derby TV Awards FYC: Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life - Limited Series, Movie/Mini Actress (Lauren Graham), Movie/Mini Supp. Actress (Kelly Bishop)

ReplyCopy URL
    SupaDupa Fly
    Participant
    Topics:

Game of Thrones and Veep will repeat. I think this will be the year where Julianna Margulies gets back in and could win. I could see that. I could see Taraji being snubbed. Viola and Tambor could repeat. Viola performance so far in season two is waaaay better than her performance in season 1. If she repeats, it would be deserving. I don’t know why people would assume Dinklage, Uzo, or Hale won’t repeat. At least 1 of those 3 will again. Dinklage needs to go to Lead Actor – Drama. He could so win there.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

It took so long for both of them to win and they came from such relatively humble Emmy beginning that both are super vulnerable to new shows.  Veep is even vulnerable to Silicon Valley, which continues to gain momentum, but we can count it out if it fails again with the acting branch.  If Veep maintains its quality even with new writers, Silicon Valley will probably even need a casting nomination before it is competitive.  Game of Thrones is far, far ahead of House of Cards unless it flatlines like the sixth season of 24.  Looking over what we have coming up, it looks like Master of None will actually be the last new comedy contender, so all Veep has to do is not bomb and it should continue its run at the top.  Game of Thrones only has to worry about Vinyl and Billions.  Yes, HBO has a bunch of shows like Westworld, Love, Divorce, Codes of Conduct and others that look like contenders, but none of those are making the deadline.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Emmys 2016: What shows can take down Game of Thrones and Veep?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.