Home Forums Television Fahrenheit 451 – HBO Movie

Fahrenheit 451 – HBO Movie

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Stegeo
Riley
Teridax
  • jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

http://ew.com/tv/2018/02/26/hbo-fahrenheit-451-trailer/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social

This looks promising – at least better than all of the blah movie fare HBO came out with last year. What else is contending this year? Pretty sure the only thing I’ve seen is Tour de Pharmacy (which was actually pretty hilarious but I don’t see it contending if the superior 7 Days in Hell got nothing) and I guess whichever episode of Black Mirror is selected.

Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that we have four locks in Black Mirror and three HBO spring movies (Fahrenheit 451, Paterno, The Tale).  Maybe Flint gets the last slot ahead of other Lifetime options Cocaine Godmother and I am Elizabeth Smart?  HBO also has short films Tour De Pharmacy and Tokyo Project in contention, plus Notes from the Field, but they probably enter that as a special, like Lady Day at Emerson’s Bar & Grill.  Seems to me that they are holding My Dinner with Hervé.  I wonder if Amazon goes the Black Mirror submission route with Electric Dreams.

ReplyCopy URL
    J H
    Participant
    Topics:

tv movie looks more interesting than mini this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    PerksofBeingGriff
    Participant
    Topics:

Thinking about this being a great year for Michael B Jordan, and a potential Emmy win for him. Life is good.

“Someone is staring at you in ‘Personal Growth’.”

ReplyCopy URL
    kancov
    Participant
    Topics:

Are both Shannon and Jordan going lead?

ReplyCopy URL
    Nate
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that we have four locks in Black Mirror and three HBO spring movies (Fahrenheit 451, Paterno, The Tale). Maybe Flint gets the last slot ahead of other Lifetime options Cocaine Godmother and I am Elizabeth Smart? HBO also has short films Tour De Pharmacy and Tokyo Project in contention, plus Notes from the Field, but they probably enter that as a special, like Lady Day at Emerson’s Bar & Grill. Seems to me that they are holding My Dinner with Hervé. I wonder if Amazon goes the Black Mirror submission route with Electric Dreams.

Is The Tale premiering this year? And when did Tokyo Project premiere? It looks to me, as with the last 2 years, like HBO is loading its prestige movies into the last couple of months of the season and, without a limited series to promote this season, not to mention no Veep, could put a lot more of its weight behind these 2 projects. I think that the category will be rounded out by the Black Mirror submission, Flint, and the upcoming PBS film The Child In Time (without any Sherlock this season, I suspect those voters will drift to this PBS Cumberbatch project instead, as it really is the only PBS television movie production, unless the network submits that Anne of Green Gables movie from Thanksgiving or an episode of Endeavour for the first time here).

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Nate.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Nate.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Reis
    Participant
    Topics:

New trailer

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

New trailer

I don’t like the trailer, I feel like it’s too long or something, and it doesn’t really seem intriguing after all. But visually it looks stunning. And Shannon nameckeck Emmy nom please.

ReplyCopy URL
    Malinda Kao
    Participant
    Topics:

Moving this comment over from the Patrick Melrose thread:

Fahrenheit is a prestigious novel, that was given HBO’s prime movie spot.

Fahrenheit 451 is a classic novel, but it’s also older science fiction, which runs the risk of not aging well and having its ideas already be cannibalized by other science fiction movies/tv shows (for example, 2002’s Equilibrium seemed to draw some inspiration from F451). And Bradbury’s strength was never in characterization.

Ramin Bahrani’s script seems to try avoiding some of this by adding modern touches to make it “fresher” and adjusting some of the characters (Michael Shannon’s character’s motivation changes and Michael B. Jordan’s character’s wife was removed), but it doesn’t seem to have worked for this reviewer (and it could potentially annoy book purists):

http://amp.timeinc.net/time/5272328/fahrenheit-451-movie-review

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  Malinda Kao.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  Malinda Kao.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Fahrenheit 451 Extinguishes What Made the Book Great […] Shannon bites into the story with trademark relish, but Jordan, a charismatic movie star, is a bit wasted, with his character’s evolution into a preserver of literature happening too rapidly to be credible. […] Much art of late has become protest art that is directed at the forces that govern our lives. It’s an understandable impulse, but it chokes off other potential insights and can make for incoherent stories that are fueled more by upset than reason. […] Fahrenheit 451 too often feels like an emojified version of its source material, cutting off anything more complex than an easy picture. Spend the time with a good book instead.

Revamping my predictions.  Sofia Boutella is definitely not happening and neither are writing or directing.  Michael Shannon seemed like an easy winner because of the wide-open category, but that category is just wide open now.  I have dropped Michael B. Jordan to sixth. This was the best-case scenario for The Tale to challenge Black Mirror.

ReplyCopy URL
    Malinda Kao
    Participant
    Topics:

Another mixed-negative review, but also a positive one:

https://m.gazette.com/movie-review-storyline-in-fahrenheit-451-feels-rushed-in-film-format/article/1625890

http://www.vulture.com/2018/05/fahrenheit-451-hbo-review.html

Does being shown at Cannes help its Emmy chances any? Anyone know?

ReplyCopy URL
    Malinda Kao
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

This is getting horrible reviews. It will be lucky to even get nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

That is seven reviews that I have read now and five of them were negative or mixed.  Those new reviews are not kind to Shannon.  It seems that no category is more up in the air than limited/movie supporting actor this year.  Is it Jeff Daniels by default?

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Time to take this out of my predictions. A flop!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.