January 5, 2012 at 11:00 pm #235902
Im not sure if there was already a topic like this or even the right forum but anyway as the title states list your all time favorite shows.January 6, 2012 at 5:38 am #235904
- Arrested Development
- The Office (US)
- Breaking Bad
- Family Guy
- The Office (UK)
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
Even though the original British version is a more consistently excellent show, I rank the American adaptation of The Office higher because even though it has been somewhat sub-par for years, at the end of the day, it delivered a greater number of excellent episodes. This is quite indicative of the rest of my list. Seasons 6 and 7 of 24 sucked, but hey, I still got over 100 really great episodes of television.January 6, 2012 at 7:14 am #235905
1. Arrested Development – I’ve got more mileage out of this show than any other show ever. I can pop in any episode this day and be completely entertained and still laugh and catch jokes I may have missed in the first 10 viewings.
2. Six Feet Under – This was the show that broke my TV cherry. American Beauty was and still is my favorite all-time movie. A friend of mine told me the writer of American Beauty wrote this so I rented the first two seasons and watched them in a weekend. Most evocative show ever.
3. Breaking Bad – Could be higher when the series ends. But for what they’ve accomplished in merely 46 episodes is nothing less than stellar. It’s been incredibly consistent and has only produced one episode that I considered “bad.” And it would still make most drama episodes look like they are run by 6 year olds.
4. Scrubs – A show that could make me laugh uncontrollably and cry tears of joy or sadness.
5. The Wire – If not for Season 5 it might be number one.
6. Friends – Sorry. Will always be near and dear to my heart.
7. House – Seasons 1-3 were some of the best television ever.
8. Dexter – Last two seasons made this one drop considerably.
9. Deadwood – Never even fully seen season 3… and yet its a favorite ever. Still watch seasons 1 and 2 every now and again.
10. Community – God do I hope it’s not canceled.January 6, 2012 at 7:28 am #235906
I’m going to leave out shows that are still running, as one of my criteria for this is that the show stayed at least fairly strong throughout its run and didn’t overstay my welcome for it (coughFrasier/The West Wingcough):
I Love Lucy
As Time Goes By
I’ll Fly Away
Shows that would have made it if they hadn’t crashed and burned at the end include Designing Women, The Golden Girls, and The X-Files.January 6, 2012 at 8:58 am #235907
^I really want to watch “I’ll Fly Away”. I hear it’s really good.
Anyway: Road to Avonlea (best drama ever), The Cosby Show (best comedy ever), The Sopranos, renegadepress.com, Will and Grace, Freaks and Geeks, Friday Night Lights
Still on the Air: 30 Rock, The Good Wife, Breaking Bad, South Park, DegrassiJanuary 6, 2012 at 9:29 am #235908
I had a whole analysis of each of my top ten prepared, but Goldderby lost it. So I’ll just post the shows:
1- The Sopranos
2- Friday Night Lights
3- Breaking Bad
4- The Wire (I haven’t finished watching it yet, but it’s already here)
6- My So-Called Life
8- Louie (even though it might be too early, I identify with the themes of a lot of episodes)
9- Gilmore Girls
10- Life On Mars (the original series)January 6, 2012 at 10:00 am #235909
SMH at the trite, mawkish, condescending American Beauty being someone’s favorite film
1. The Sopranos
2. Homicide: Life on The Street
3. The Wire
4. Arrested Development
5. Friday Night Lights
7. All in The Family
8. Mad Men
9. Pushing Daisies
11. The Shield
12. Hillstreet Blues
13. Gilmore girls
14. The top 25 episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
15. Homefront/Battlestar Galactica
16. Picket Fences
18. The X-Files/Breaking Bad
20. Twin PeaksJanuary 6, 2012 at 10:03 am #235910
I have yet to watch “Homicide”. It never aired here. Has it been released on dvd in full? If so, I might try to catch up, I always wanted to watch it.January 6, 2012 at 10:05 am #235911
yes.January 6, 2012 at 10:46 am #235912
Louie will definitely make it in once it is over I believe for me. Parks and Rec might but they really only have the one great season and 2 good ones. Mad Men is hovering the inconsistency of the past two seasons has been troubling for me. And my feeling is Dexter will be gone by mid next season.January 6, 2012 at 11:03 am #235913
The Cosby Show
Six Feet Under
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Sex and the City
The Wonder YearsJanuary 6, 2012 at 11:18 am #235914
Oooh, “Moonlighting”! I use to love it when I was a kid. I’ve been meaning to rewatch it for some time now. I think I’ll do it soon, I really loved it! Wonder if it holds up well.January 6, 2012 at 11:21 am #235915
I love the first few seasons of The Practice and the final one with Alan ShoreJanuary 6, 2012 at 11:33 am #235916
Oooh, “Moonlighting”! I use to love it when I was a kid. I’ve been meaning to rewatch it for some time now. I think I’ll do it soon, I really loved it! Wonder if it holds up well.
Everything before Maddie and Dave have sex still works. You can see shades of Moonlighting in Bones, Castle, and even Body of Proof.