Home Forums Television Film Trophies TV Awards — 2017 Winners, Plus Five-Year Archive!

Film Trophies TV Awards — 2017 Winners, Plus Five-Year Archive!

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
  • Kevin Jacobsen
    Participant
    Topics:

Hey guys,

Like many of you, I have been doing my own TV awards over the years and I thought I’d share my latest winners with you, plus my five-year archive!

A few notes to start:

-I have used Emmy genre classification for shows, though any episodes of limited series classified as TV movies at the Emmys are considered part of limited series for my awards.

-I have a Special Achievement category that acknowledges outstanding creative achievements that fall outside the bounds of the regular categories

-The Best Actor in a Limited Series or TV Movie and Best Actress in a Limited Series or TV Movie categories acknowledge both lead and supporting performances.

-Variety Talk and Variety Sketch are consolidated into Variety Series.

Here are my awards for the 2016-17 season!

COMEDY SERIES
    Atlanta
    black-ish
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    Girls
    The Good Place
    Transparent
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

And the winner is…

Atlanta

Atlanta was a breath of fresh air this TV season as a wholly original artistic vision. Centering on Earn (Donald Glover), an entrepreneurial manager to his rapper friend Paper Boi (Brian Tyree Henry), the series is both hyper-focused on its characters and expansive in what it has to say about Atlanta culture. It’s weird, it’s disarmingly hilarious, it’s poignant, it’s smart, and it’s unlike anything I’ve seen on television.

LEAD ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
    Anthony Anderson as Dre Johnson in black-ish
    Fred Armisen as various characters in Portlandia
    Donald Glover as Earn Marks in Atlanta
    Bill Hader as various characters in Documentary Now!
    Andy Samberg as Jake Peralta in Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    Jeffrey Tambor as Maura Pfefferman in Transparent

And the winner is…

Bill Hader – Documentary Now!

Bill Hader is one of the most underrated comedians and actors of our generation, and Documentary Now! gives him the opportunity to show how phenomenal he is. Playing a different character in every episode, Season 2 featured Hader portraying a campaign manager, an insane dramatist, a filmmaking legend and so much more.

LEAD ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
    Kristen Bell as Eleanor Shellstrop in The Good Place
    Lena Dunham as Hannah Horvath in Girls
    Anna Faris as Christy Plunkett in Mom
    Allison Janney as Bonnie Plunkett in Mom
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Selina Meyer in Veep
    Tracee Ellis Ross as Rainbow Johnson in black-ish

And the winner is…

Tracee Ellis Ross – black-ish

Through three seasons of black-ish, Tracee Ellis Ross has defied the typical “sitcom wife/mom” role that has grown so stale. While her character, Bow, is often reacting to husband Dre’s antics, she also gets to be crazy and complex all on her own. Ross had quite a few standout episodes in Season 3, particularly “Being Bow-racial,” in which she reflects on her feelings on being biracial, and “ToysRn’tUs,” where she protests a lack of options for black dolls for her daughter.

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
    Fred Armisen as various characters in Documentary Now!
    Andre Braugher as Captain Ray Holt in Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    Tituss Burgess as Titus Andromedon in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
    Andrew Rannells as Elijah Krantz in Girls
    Timothy Simons as Jonah Ryan in Veep
    LaKeith Stanfield as Darius in Atlanta

And the winner is…

Andrew Rannells – Girls

As the titular girls on Girls became more impossibly difficult, Rannells’ performance as Elijah was a constant delight. In this final season of the HBO series, Rannells received a good chunk of material that included reacting to Hannah’s (Lena Dunham) pregnancy and auditioning for a White Men Can’t Jump musical. Rannells is a gifted performer and I’m so glad he was finally given a showcase episode in “The Bounce.”

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
    D’Arcy Carden as Janet in The Good Place
    Kathryn Hahn as Raquel Fein in Transparent
    Jane Krakowski as Jacqueline White in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
    Judith Light as Shelly Pfefferman in Transparent
    Kate McKinnon as various characters in Saturday Night Live
    Chelsea Peretti as Gina Linetti in Brooklyn Nine-Nine

And the winner is…

Judith Light – Transparent

Judith Light in the third season of Transparent proves how much she is the show’s secret weapon. While her character, Shelly Pfefferman, was mostly a stereotypical Jewish mom in the series’ first two seasons, Season 3 featured Light giving shades of vulnerability to her character. While many have griped about the pretty dramatic Transparent competing as a comedy at the Emmys, Light has been a real beacon of, well, light.

GUEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
    Riz Ahmed as Paul-Louis in Girls
    Josh Charles as Duke Snyder in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
    Daveed Diggs as Johan Johnson in black-ish
    Tom Hanks as Host in Saturday Night Live
    Jason Mantzoukas as Adrian Pimento in Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    Bradley Whitford as Mitch in Mom

And the winner is…

Josh Charles – Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Josh Charles takes the preppy douche archetype to the extreme in Season 3 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Playing Duke Snyder, heir to the Washington Redskins franchise, Charles is absolutely hilarious and holds his own against comedy powerhouses Tituss Burgess and Jane Krakowski. The episode “Kimmy Is a Feminist!” is really what won Charles this award.

GUEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
    Becky Ann Baker as Loreen Horvath in Girls
    Trace Lysette as Shea in Transparent
    Melissa McCarthy as Host in Saturday Night Live
    Sally Phillips as Minna Häkkinen in Veep
    Maya Rudolph as Dionne Warwick in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
    Amy Sedaris as Mimi Kanasis in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

And the winner is…

Melissa McCarthy – Saturday Night Live

Even outside of the parameters of this year’s Emmy nominees, McCarthy is by far my favorite guest actress of the season. Beyond McCarthy’s performance as Spicer, her hosted episode was one of the best SNL shows this year, with sketches like the film panel, Lighthouse Features and the pie-themed game show proving her versatility as a comedic force. No other guest actress came close to doing what McCarthy did this season.

DIRECTING FOR A COMEDY SERIES
    Atlanta (“B.A.N.”) — Donald Glover
    black-ish (“Lemons”) — Kenya Barris
    Crashing (“Artie Lange”) — Judd Apatow
    Girls (“American Bitch”) — Richard Shepard
    The Good Place (“Everything Is Fine”) — Drew Goddard
    Transparent (“If I Were a Bell”) — Andrea Arnold

And the winner is…

This is an easy choice for me. The “B.A.N.” episode of Atlanta showed me what the show was truly capable of in crafting social satire that takes both sides of the political aisle to task. The episode centers on a fictional Black American Network channel and covers everything from black masculinity to transphobia to free speech, and Donald Glover weaves in hilarious parodies of commercials aimed specifically at the black community. It’s audacious, experimental filmmaking.

WRITING FOR A COMEDY SERIES
    BoJack Horseman (“That Went Well”) — Raphael Bob-Waksberg
    The Good Place (“Everything Is Fine”) — Michael Schur
    Transparent (“If I Were a Bell”) — Our Lady J
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (“Kimmy’s Roommate Lemonades!”) — Tina Fey & Sam Means

And the winner is…

“Lemons” was black-ish‘s response to the 2016 presidential election, which saw Donald Trump upsetting over perceived frontrunner Hillary Clinton. The Johnson family reels over the election results and takes action in various ways, yet Dre’s (Anthony Anderson) thread is most resonant of all. In one epic monologue to his white co-workers he vocalizes the pain and suffering of his community, concluding with a beautiful message about how he still has hope. At a time when many were still coping with the results, “Lemons” had real impact on those who watched it.

DRAMA SERIES
    The Americans
    Bates Motel
    The Handmaid’s Tale
    The Leftovers
    Orange Is the New Black
    Stranger Things
    This Is Us

And the winner is…

The Leftovers

Honestly, what else was it going to be?

LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
    Sterling K. Brown as Randall Pearson in This Is Us
    Freddie Highmore as Norman Bates in Bates Motel
    Rami Malek as Elliot Alderson in Mr. Robot
    Matthew Rhys as Philip Jennings in The Americans
    Justin Theroux as Kevin Garvey in The Leftovers
    Milo Ventimiglia as Jack Pearson in This Is Us

And the winner is…

Freddie Highmore – Bates Motel

What a legacy Freddie Highmore has left. In this final season of Bates Motel, Highmore’s Norman Bates confronted grief, self-doubt, rage, hurt and so much more as he coped with life without his beloved mother. It’s a shame there was such genre bias among awards groups because Highmore truly delivers one of the most iconic performances in modern-day television.

LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
    Carrie Coon as Nora Durst in The Leftovers
    Viola Davis as Annalise Keating in How to Get Away with Murder
    Mandy Moore as Rebecca Pearson in This Is Us
    Elisabeth Moss as Offred/June Osborne in The Handmaid’s Tale
    Keri Russell as Elizabeth Jennings in The Americans
    Robin Wright as Claire Underwood in House of Cards

And the winner is…

Carrie Coon – The Leftovers

Damn you, Carrie Coon. Damn you for delivering one of the best performances in television history in just 28 episodes. It is the kind of bare-bones, raw performance that will make me follow Coon throughout her career, just because I know what she is capable of. Her performance in the finale is the kind of masterful acting that just doesn’t come around much anymore.

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
    Christopher Eccleston as Matt Jamison in The Leftovers
    Scott Glenn as Kevin Garvey, Sr. in The Leftovers
    David Harbour as Jim Hopper in Stranger Things
    Ron Cephas Jones as William H. Hill in This Is Us
    Frank Langella as Gabriel in The Americans
    Jeffrey Wright as Bernard Lowe in Westworld

And the winner is…

Ron Cephas Jones – This Is Us

Ron Cephas Jones is a veteran actor I wasn’t fully conscious of before This Is Us but like McRaney, this was his day in the sun. This Is Us is sometimes criticized for being too sentimental at times, but Jones rose above and beyond the material as William, Randall’s (Sterling K. Brown) cancer-stricken biological father. The episode “Memphis” is a total knockout for Jones, and I have to admit that he made me tear up.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
    Amy Brenneman as Laurie Garvey in The Leftovers
    Danielle Brooks as Taystee Jefferson in Orange Is the New Black
    Millie Bobby Brown as Eleven in Stranger Things
    Vera Farmiga as Norma Bates in Bates Motel
    Chrissy Metz as Kate Pearson in This Is Us
    Thandie Newton as Maeve Millay in Westworld

And the winner is…

Amy Brenneman – The Leftovers

So much has been written about Carrie Coon, Justin Theroux, and Ann Dowd’s performances in The Leftovers, but Amy Brenneman deserves to be in this conversation. The Season 3 episode “Certified” was probably the best performance of Brenneman’s career as her character, Laurie Garvey, reflects on her life and makes some meaningful choices. It was a devastating work of art, carried by Brenneman’s incredible talent.

GUEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
    Ryan Hurst as Chick Hogan in Bates Motel
    Benito Martinez as Todd Denver in How to Get Away with Murder
    Gerard McRaney as Dr. Nathan Katowski in This Is Us
    Jermel Nakia as Young William in This Is Us
    Denis O’Hare as Jessie in This Is Us
    BD Wong as Whiterose in Mr. Robot

And the winner is…

Gerald McRaney – This Is Us

Gerald McRaney is one of the most under-appreciated veteran actors working today, but he finally got his breakout moment as Dr. K on This Is Us. From the very first episode he imbued his character with such warmth, and in his centric episode, titled “The Big Day,” McRaney delivers a masterful performance as a man struggling to cope with the loss of his wife.

GUEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
    Alexis Bledel as Ofglen/Emily in The Handmaid’s Tale
    Laverne Cox as Sophia Burset in Orange Is the New Black
    Ann Dowd as Patti Levin in The Leftovers
    Cicely Tyson as Ophelia Harkness in How to Get Away with Murder
    Amanda Warren as Dorothy Hill in This Is Us
    Alison Wright as Martha Hanson in The Americans

And the winner is…

Alexis Bledel – The Handmaid’s Tale

Bledel’s work in The Handmaid’s Tale really stuck with me. As a handmaid forced to undergo cruel punishments just for being who she is, Bledel was heartbreaking in a near silent role. I never thought she was capable of delivering such a performance.

DIRECTING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
    The Handmaid’s Tale (“Offred”) — Reed Morano
    The Leftovers (“The Book of Nora”) — Mimi Leder
    The Leftovers (“The Most Powerful Man in the World [and his Identical Twin Brother]”) — Craig Zobel
    Orange Is the New Black (“The Animals”) — Matthew Weiner
    Stranger Things (“Chapter Three: Holly, Jolly”) — Shawn Levy
    This Is Us (“Memphis”) — John Requa & Glenn Ficarra

And the winner is…

The Leftovers (“The Most Powerful Man in the World (and His Identical Twin Brother)” — Craig Zobel

I absolutely loved “International Assassin,” the bonkers Season 2 episode of The Leftovers that took place in a purgatory-like space, and “The Most Powerful Man in the World (and His Identical Twin Brother)” very much lived up to this in Season 3. Director Craig Zobel had a lot on his hands, from double Justin Theroux to an insane presidential storyline and managed to produce a surprisingly emotional episode.

WRITING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
    The Americans (“The Soviet Division”) — Joel Fields & Joe Weisberg
    Bates Motel (“The Cord”) — Kerry Ehrin & Carlton Cuse
    The Handmaid’s Tale (“Offred”) — Bruce Miller
    The Leftovers (“Certified”) — Patrick Somerville & Carly Wray
    The Leftovers (“The Book of Nora”) — Damon Lindelof, Tom Perrotta & Tom Spezialy
    This Is Us (“Memphis”) — Dan Fogelman

And the winner is…

The Leftovers (“The Book of Nora”) — Damon Lindelof, Tom Perrotta, and Tom Spezialy

The series finale of The Leftovers left me stunned, with Nora Durst (Carrie Coon) taking centerstage on a quest to find inner peace. The episode, written by Tom Spezialy and series creators Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta, was an emotional journey for Nora and Kevin (Justin Theroux), who find each other later in life and acknowledge their fragile lives. The episode’s final monologue by Coon is an exemplary piece of writing.

LIMITED SERIES/TV MOVIE
    Big Little Lies
    Black Mirror
    Fargo
    Feud: Bette and Joan
    Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life
    The Night Of

And the winner is…

Big Little Lies

In a world where movies continue to cater to straight, white teenage boys, television has become a safe haven for those who appreciate stories about older women. Big Little Lies ticks so many boxes for me, from beautiful cinematography to amazing “actressing” to a thrilling mystery component, along with a damn fine soundtrack. This is an easy win.

ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE
    Riz Ahmed as Nasir Khan in The Night Of
    Ewan McGregor as Emmit and Ray Stussy in Fargo
    Alfred Molina as Robert Aldrich in Feud: Bette and Joan
    Michael Stuhlbarg as Sy Feltz in Fargo
    David Thewlis as V.M. Varga in Fargo
    John Turturro as John Stone in The Night Of

And the winner is…

David Thewlis – Fargo

I have not wanted a character to die more this year than V.M. Varga (David Thewlis) on Fargo. His masterful performance was truly upsetting on a visceral level, with Thewlis essentially playing the embodiment of all evil. While Fargo‘s third season was relatively uneven, Thewlis’ performance was consistently flawless.

ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE
    Laura Dern as Renata Klein in Big Little Lies
    Lauren Graham as Lorelai Gilmore in Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life
    Nicole Kidman as Celeste Wright in Big Little Lies
    Jessica Lange as Joan Crawford in Feud: Bette and Joan
    Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Nikki Swango in Fargo
    Reese Witherspoon as Madeline MacKenzie in Big Little Lies

And the winner is…

Nicole Kidman – Big Little Lies

While I can appreciate all the nominees this year, Nicole Kidman really blew me away with her quietly devastating work on Big Little Lies. The actress truly dug into her character of Celeste, a woman harboring the secret of being in an abusive marriage. Kidman excels in Celeste’s therapy sessions, perfectly portraying a woman having a breakthrough about her life.

DIRECTING FOR A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE
    Big Little Lies — Jean-Marc Vallée
    Black Mirror (“San Junipero”) — Owen Harris
    Fargo (“The Law of Vacant Places”) — Noah Hawley
    Feud: Bette and Joan (“And the Winner is… [The Oscars of 1963]”) — Ryan Murphy
    Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life (“Fall”) — Amy Sherman-Palladino
    The Night Of (“The Beach”) — Steven Zaillian

And the winner is…

Big Little Lies — Jean-Marc Vallée

There were so many excellent choices made by Jean-Marc Vallée in adapting Big Little Lies from book to screen. The intercutting between the deposition and the events leading up to the murder, the visual aesthetic, and the music choices all contributed to an engrossing viewing experience that made me thirst for more from these women from Monterey.

WRITING FOR A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE
    Big Little Lies — David E. Kelley
    Black Mirror (“San Junipero”) — Charlie Brooker
    Fargo (“The Law of Vacant Places”) — Noah Hawley
    Feud: Bette and Joan (“Pilot”) — Jaffe Cohen & Michael Zam & Ryan Murphy
    Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life (“Winter”) — Amy Sherman-Palladino
    The Night Of (“The Call of the Wild”) — Richard Price & Steven Zaillian

And the winner is…

Black Mirror (“San Junipero”) — Charlie Brooker

“San Junipero” is the crowning achievement of the past TV season for me. It is a perfect episode of television, in which writer Charlie Brooker brilliantly introduces you to a rich, futuristic world in which people can visit a simulated reality. It is there that two women (Mackenzie Davis and Gugu-Mbatha Raw) fall in love and try to figure out how to be with each other forever. Brooker pulls off a difficult sci-fi premise and infuses it with so much passion that I was completely overwhelmed after watching it.

VARIETY SERIES
    Billy on the Street
    Documentary Now!
    Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
    Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
    Late Night with Seth Meyers
    Saturday Night Live

And the winner is…

Billy on the Street

I say it every year and I’ll say it again now: Billy on the Street is the funniest show on TV. No other show makes me laugh out loud more, at the pure specificity of the show’s brilliant pop culture references. This year featured some of the best celebrity sketches yet, including Super Sloppy Semi-Automatic Double Dare! with Keegan-Michael Key and Death Rogen being among my favorites.

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT
    13th – Ava DuVernay – Directing
    Big Little Lies – Susan Jacobs – Music supervision
    The Earliest Show – Ben Schwartz & Lauren Lapkus – Acting (Short Form)
    O.J.: Made in America – Bret Granato, Maya Mumma & Ben Sozanski –
    Editing
    Stranger Things – Michael Stein & Kyle Dixon – Dramatic score
    Westworld – Patrick Clair – Main title design

Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Good job these are great

ReplyCopy URL
    hats-off
    Participant
    Topics:

These are really great. I like how unique these nominees are from other awards and how each winner is completely deserving. I especially love the win for Amy Brenneman who was overlooked this season since she gave the second best performance in her show even though she also gave the second best performance from anyone this TV season

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Film Trophies TV Awards — 2017 Winners, Plus Five-Year Archive!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.