Guest Acting Nominations 2017

Home // Forums // Television // Guest Acting Nominations 2017

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
Created
Profile photo of Andrew D
1 week ago
Last Reply
Profile photo of Tej Parks
3 days ago
replies
views
users
Profile photo of Andrew D
Profile photo of Hunterbergfeld
Profile photo of pulp50
  • Profile photo of Andrew DAndrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

Guest Actor in a comedy
    Riz Ahmed- Girls
    Matthew Rhys-Girls
    Lin Manuel Miranda- SNL
    Tom Hanks-SNL
    Dave Chapelle- SNL
    Hugh Laurie –Veep

Guest Actress in a Comedy
    Becky Ann Baker –Girls
    Angela Basset- Master of None
    Carrie Fisher- Casthrophe
    Melissa McCarthy- SNL
    Kerstin Wigg –SNL
    Wanda Sykes- Blackish

Guest Actor in a Drama
    Hank Azaria – Ray Donovan
    Brian Tyree Henry- This is Us
    Gerald McRaney- This is Us
    Ben Mendelsohn- Bloodline
    Dennis O’Hare- This is Us
    BD Wong- Mr Robot

Guest Actress in a Drama
    Laverne Cox- Orange is the new black
    Alexis Bledel- The Handmaidens Tale
    Shannon Pruser- Stranger Things
    Ann Dowd- The Left overs
    Cicely Tyson- How to get away with Murder
    Allison Wright – The Americans

Who is the front runners ?
    Who is a dark horse ?

“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
    ― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Profile photo of Andrew DAndrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

Episode submissions for Guest Actor in a Comedy

RIZ AHMED as Paul-Louis on “Girls”
    Ahmed is a two-time Emmy nominee this year.
    Episode Title: “All I Ever Wanted”
    After Hannah fakes an injury to get out of surf class, she runs into Paul-Louis at the bar and they hit it off. The morning after, Paul-Louis shows her how to experience Montauk like a pro. Hannah is won over by Paul-Louis’ positive outlook and attitude.

DAVE CHAPPELLE as Various Characters on “Saturday Night Live”
    Chappelle is a four-time Emmy nominee with no previous wins.
    Episode Title: “Host: Dave Chappelle”
    Dave performs his stand-up routine. Parodies include a depressing post election party and a “Walking Dead” that includes favorite characters from Chappelle’s show. Dave and Kate, as two weirdos, hook up in a bar.

TOM HANKS as Various Characters on “Saturday Night Live”
    Hanks is a six-time Emmy winner among his 16 nominations.
    Episode Title: “Host: Tom Hanks”
    Tom opens the show as “America’s Dad.” Parodies include a Presidential debate between Trump and Hillary; “Black Jeopardy,” where diverse contestants find common ground. Hanks is “David S. Pumpkins” in a haunted elevator and recreates his movie role as Sully Sullenberger.

HUGH LAURIE as Tom James on “Veep”
    Laurie is a 10-time Emmy nominee with no wins.
    Episode Title: “Blurb”
    Selina’s former running mate, Tom James, begs her to keep their sexual affair out of her forthcoming memoir – for the sake of his family. Tom quickly loses his moral highground when he exposes their tryst in his own recently published memoir – betraying Selina to boost book sales.

LIN-MANUEL MIRANDA as Various Characters on “Saturday Night Live”
    Miranda is a one-time Emmy winner among his two nominations.
    Episode Title: “Host: Lin-Manuel Miranda”
    In his monologue, Lin-Manuel sings and dances about how happy he is to host SNL. Parodies include “Stranger Things;” Lin-Manuel as a 1900s Wells Fargo Banker; “Melania Moments” and a film about Lin-Manuel as an immigrant who calls his Mom.

MATTHEW RHYS as Chuck Palmer on “Girls”
    Rhys is a three-time Emmy nominee including a double bid this year (including Best Drama Actor for “The Americans”).
    Episode Title: “American Bitch”
    Hannah and Chuck face off regarding sexual assault and “gray” areas. Hannah advocates it’s important to attend to women whose voices are pushed aside. Chuck maintains it’s hearsay and doesn’t understand why Hannah would write about such claims. Chuck wins Hannah over but, as she begins to relax, Chuck oversteps.

“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

Submissions for Guest Actress in a Drama

ALEXIS BLEDEL as Ofglen on “The Handmaid’s Tale”
    Bledel is a first-time Emmy nominee.
    Episode Title: “Late”
    Offred visits Janine’s baby with Serena Joy and remembers the early days of the revolution before Gilead. Ofglen faces a difficult challenge.

LAVERNE COX as Sophia Burset on “Orange is the New Black”
    Cox is a two-time Emmy nominee with no wins.
    Episode Title: “Doctor Psycho”
    After Caputo ignores Sophia’s requests to review the decision of her being in SHU, she stages several protests for her release – from stuffing her clothing down the toilet to clog it up to lighting her cell on fire.

ANN DOWD as Patti Levin on “The Leftovers”
    Dowd is a first-time Emmy nominee (also contending for Best Drama Supporting Actress).
    Episode Title: “The Most Powerful Man in the World (and His Identical Twin Brother)”
    Dead and buried, but alive and well in a surreal afterlife, Patti Levin returns to torment Kevin Garvey again, this time not as a cult leader, but as Secretary of Defense of The United States.

SHANNON PURSER as Barb Holland on “Stranger Things”
    Purser is a first-time Emmy nominee.
    Episode Title: “Holly, Jolly”
    Barb Holland is Nancy’s studious, straight-laced best friend who becomes concerned when Nancy starts spending more time with Steve. When Barb ducks outside to escape a party where she’s gotten in over her head, she’s taken to the Upside Down, sending Nancy on a journey to find her.

CICELY TYSON as Ophelia Harkness on “How to Get Away with Murder”
    Tyson is a three-time Emmy winner among her 13 nominations.
    Episode Title: “Go Cry Somewhere Else”
    Annalise is embarrassed to see her parents at her trial, so she confronts them, only to learn that Ophelia is suffering from dementia. She thinks that Annalise is taking the blame for her for setting the house on fire that killed Annalise’s abusive uncle.

ALISON WRIGHT as Martha on “The Americans”
    Wright is a first-time Emmy nominee.
    Episode Title: “The Soviet Division”
    Secretary to the head of FBI Counter-Intelligence, Martha married Clark, an agent with FBI internal affairs. She spied on her colleagues for him. When her cover’s blown, Clark confesses that he’s actually a KGB spy. Sent to Moscow, Martha struggles to adapt to her new life.

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

Submissions for Guest Actor in a Drama

HANK AZARIA as Ed Cochran on “Ray Donovan”
    Azaria is a six-time Emmy winner (including this category last year) among his 13 nominations.
    Episode Title: “Norman Saves the World”
    Ed Cochran, a disgraced former FBI agent, is offered one million dollars by Ray to get Mickey released from prison. Ed presents the DA with evidence against TV star Sherman Radley that could influence the DA to release Mickey, but he attempts to betray Ray in the process.

BRIAN TYREE HENRY as Ricky on “This Is Us”
    Henry is a first-time Emmy nominee.
    Episode Title: “Memphis”
    Randall and William take a road trip to Memphis, where Randall learns about William’s past.

GERALD MCRANEY as Dr. Nathan Katowski on “This Is Us”
    McRaney is a first-time Emmy nominee.
    Episode Title: “The Big Day”
    Dr. K’s life is put on full display for all to see. His love and great loss of his late wife is almost overwhelming, until the fateful beeper goes off where he needs to go deliver Jack and Rebecca Pearson’s babies.

BEN MENDELSOHN as Danny Rayburn on “Bloodline”
    Mendelsohn is a one-time Emmy winner (for this same role in supporting) among his three nominations.
    Episode Title: “Part 32”
    Through flashbacks, the black sheep of the family (Danny) continues to be a core component of the familial drama as his memory haunts the guilt-riddled Rayburns until the bitter end.

DENIS O’HARE as Jessie on “This Is Us”
    O’Hare is a three-time Emmy nominee with no wins.
    Episode Title: “Christmas”
    The Pearson family finds themselves at the hospital on Christmas Eve after little Kate comes down with appendicitis. Kevin celebrates Hanukkah with Sloane and her family, Kate continues to pursue her big surgery and someone from William’s past reappears in his life.

BD WONG as Whiterose on “Mr. Robot”
    Wong is a first-time Emmy nominee.
    Episode Title: “eps2.3_logic-b0mb.hc”
    Whiterose is the leader of the Dark Army, a Chinese-based hacking organization. Secretive, controlling, and self-protective, Whiterose is obsessed with the concept of time. As fsociety deals with the consequences of the five/nine hack, Whiterose moves forward with plans for Phase II.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of HunterbergfeldHunterbergfeld
    Participant
    Topics:

Hugh Laurie (ALT. Dave Chappell) , Carrie Fisher (ALT. Melissa McCarthy), BD Wong (ALT. Ben Mendholson), Alexis Bledel (ALT. Orange is the New Black)

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

Hugh Laurie (ALT. Dave Chappell) , Carrie Fisher (ALT. Melissa McCarthy), BD Wong (ALT. Ben Mendholson), Alexis Bledel (ALT. Orange is the New Black)

Why Hugh ? I didnt think he did all that much in his episode and wasnt particularly funny imo.

Why BD , they snubbed the show as a whole i would think that diminished his chances overall, i enjoyed him and its the only show i have watched in that category but i would think Mendelsohn whom won for the role would repeat.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of Aayaan UpadhyayaAayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know why I’m thinking a Cox victory in Guest Actress is seeming more and more likely.

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know why I’m thinking a Cox victory in Guest Actress is seeming more and more likely.

I kinda agree with that… I think it would be a way to award the show and she had a really good episode.

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

Why Hugh ? I didnt think he did all that much in his episode and wasnt particularly funny imo.

Why BD , they snubbed the show as a whole i would think that diminished his chances overall, i enjoyed him and its the only show i have watched in that category but i would think Mendelsohn whom won for the role would repeat.

He is overdue. They love rewarding actors with industry goodwill on the new system. They still love Veep and it shouldn’t be hard since Girls and SNL will suffer from vote splitting.

I have BD winning because 3 is too many for McRaney to overcome so I don’t think a This is Us guy can win. Mendholson is a threat but nobody cares about his show. It couldn’t get a casting nomination despite winning the guild and Chandler failed to get nominated. It ad its worst recieved season yet. Hank Azaria is a threat as well but I’m not sure hpw repet winners will do at nominations. BD Wong has been working forever and is overdue, the new system loves those narratives. Mendholson already won so they don’t need to reward him again. Mr, Robot still did good at the guilds so the industry is still watching. This means that BD Wong has visability and I think he can win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of Madson MeloMadson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Laverne Cox (alt. Bledel)

Hank Azaria (alt. BD Wong)

Hugh Laurie (alt. Dave Chapelle)

Melissa McCarthy (alt. Carrie Fisher)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of Andrew CardenAndrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

In Comedy Guest Actor, I suspect Laurie rides vote-splitting among the others to victory.

In Comedy Guest Actress, I bet Baker pulls a Scolari. Fisher will be a test as to whether posthumous nominees benefit from the new system. They didn’t fare so well when tapes were key.

In Drama Guest Actor, I’m torn between Azaria and Mendelsohn. McRaney would be winning this if he were the sole This Is Us nominee.

In Drama Guest Actress, I really haven’t a clue. I think a reasonable case can be made for all of them, sans Purser and Wright. Right now, I would say…Dowd.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: 20 Years of Streep (2016) – Florence Foster Jenkins

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

I want Purser to win just to see Yalls reactions

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of LotusXtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Get it:

Angela Bassett
    Dave Chappelle
    Laverne Cox
    Brian Tyree Henry
    Wanda Sykes
    Cicely Tyson

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

In Drama Guest Actress, I really haven’t a clue. I think a reasonable case can be made for all of them, sans Purser and Wright. Right now, I would say…Dowd.

i agree with you and I think Guest Actress in a Drama is the hardest to predict among the four.

I think Purser could totally win , just for being a sensation and at the end of the day she may be the only place where they honor the show , excluding below the line wins.

Cox is a past nominee who hasn’t won, she was probably the best we have seen her and she only continues to grow in visibility.

Beldel 1st nomination, been around forever and has alot of goodwill from Gilmore girls , is on a new hot show and does a great job in the little bit she is in the show ( just watched her episode last night and she was great )

Wright – She should have been nominated before , she has been very very good on the show , and lets not forget they gave the award to Margo for an equally small part .

Ann – she is a double nominee who could get rewarded here and then they could spread the wealth in supporting , she is AMAZING on the show in the past , i think this year her limited screen time did diminish the wow factor that is Patty Levin, but she i worthy anyway.

Cicely- I mean come on , no one would be mad if she won , she is a legend. She something like 3/4 wins and 13 nominations … i mean thats spectacular , she continues to shine in the role of Annalisa mother and i would be surprised in the least if she pulled off a win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of Raymond BaxterSomeonelikeme
    Participant
    Topics:

This is a race between Cicely Tyson Ann Dowd and Alexis Bledel.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
Reply To: Guest Acting Nominations 2017

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.