Home Forums Television Guest Acting Nominations 2017

Guest Acting Nominations 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 126 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • SayMyName
    Participant
    Topics:

Shannon Purser can win. You can doubt her again. You can hate her as well. Nothing will change the fact she is popular in a popular show. Alexis Bledel? I wouldn’t mind that win either. Or Miss Cicely! She was so robbed for Season 1. Even Miss Wright. Or Dowd & Cox. This is such a strong and deserving category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

Shannon Purser can win. You can doubt her again. You can hate her as well. Nothing will change the fact she is popular in a popular show. Alexis Bledel? I wouldn’t mind that win either. Or Miss Cicely! She was so robbed for Season 1. Even Miss Wright. Or Dowd & Cox. This is such a strong and deserving category.

agree completely this is a great category.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AndrewsArt

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

ANGELA BASSETT as Catherine on “Master of None”
    Bassett is a four-time Emmy nominee with no wins.
    Episode Title: “Thanksgiving”
    Catherine, Denise’s strong-willed and sharp-tongued mother, opens up her house for Thanksgiving over the years and learns to accept all of Denise’s guests.

CARRIE FISHER as Mia on “Catastrophe”
    Fisher is a three-time Emmy nominee with no wins.
    Episode Title: “Episode 6”
    Rob’s snappy but loving mother, who has, to a fault, never once told him anything besides the blunt truth. After Sharon’s father passes away, Mia becomes an unexpected source of strength and friendship to Sharon’s mother.

MELISSA MCCARTHY as Various Characters on “Saturday Night Live”
    McCarthy is a one-time Emmy winner among her eight nominations.
    Episode Title: “Host: Melissa McCarthy”
    Melissa chooses a Mom from the audience and takes her for a studio tour. Parodies include Trump’s interview with Lester Holt and a game show where Melissa gets hit in the face with pies. Melissa returns as Sean Spicer searching New York for Trump.

WANDA SYKES as Daphne Lido on “Black-ish”
    Sykes is a one-time Emmy winner among her eight nominations.
    Episode Title: “Lemons”
    The nation is still reeling after the outcome of the presidential election; tensions are particularly high at Dre’s work. Much to his frustration, they haven’t been able to get anything done since election night – eight weeks ago. Junior is dealing with a disenfranchised student body as class president.

KRISTEN WIIG as Various Characters on “Saturday Night Live”
    Wiig is an eight-time Emmy nominee with no wins.
    Episode Title: “Host: Kristen Wiig”
    In her monologue, Kristen sings a made-up song about Thanksgiving. Parodies include 1950s game show, “Secret Word” and “Anderson Cooper 360.” Kristen makes an audition tape to appear on QVC and recreates her Target Lady character.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m really not sure who to predict in comedy guest actress. I think a case can be made for all of them but Wiig and Sykes.

McCarthy was a huge part of SNL this year going viral on multiple occasions as Spicer, and clearly the voters responded to SNL this year. Wiig however could take away votes, she’s an emmy favorite who’s overdue (0 wins 8 nominations) and I at least thought she was fantastic in her episode. I could see McCarthy overcoming vote splitting, but I’m not confident about it.

Bassett, while I personally didn’t care much for her performance was very popular here on the forums, she can also be considered overdue to win an emmy, and MON seems very popular with the emmys this year.

Carrie Fisher of course passed away. I’m not sure if she would have been nominated had she not, but the sympathy vote could get her a first emmy win. Posthumous nominees historically haven’t won but I have a feeling the new voting system where everyone is voting will be more kind to those posthumous nominees.

Then there’s Baker, the hardworking veteran who’s never gotten recognition. I haven’t seen her episode, but the description alone feels very awards baity. Peter Scolari won as Hannah’s dad, so why not Baker as her mom?

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Becky Ann Baker messed up with her submission, not that it matters. Gummies was okay but Latching was a winning tape.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles Allen
    Participant
    Topics:

Becky Ann Baker messed up with her submission, not that it matters. Gummies was okay but Latching was a winning tape.

a. It does matter, if Peter Scolari can win after not even being nominated during season 5, Becky Ann Baker can win for the final season and b. Have you not seen Gummies? She has so much range in that episode, she goes from hilariously high to deeply depressed to really mad to downright frightening. She has a lot of good moments in Latching but Gummies is a winning episode.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Agree to disagree

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m really not sure who to predict in comedy guest actress. I think a case can be made for all of them but Wiig and Sykes.

McCarthy was a huge part of SNL this year going viral on multiple occasions as Spicer, and clearly the voters responded to SNL this year. Wiig however could take away votes, she’s an emmy favorite who’s overdue (0 wins 8 nominations) and I at least thought she was fantastic in her episode. I could see McCarthy overcoming vote splitting, but I’m not confident about it.

Bassett, while I personally didn’t care much for her performance was very popular here on the forums, she can also be considered overdue to win an emmy, and MON seems very popular with the emmys this year.

Carrie Fisher of course passed away. I’m not sure if she would have been nominated had she not, but the sympathy vote could get her a first emmy win. Posthumous nominees historically haven’t won but I have a feeling the new voting system where everyone is voting will be more kind to those posthumous nominees.

Then there’s Baker, the hardworking veteran who’s never gotten recognition. I haven’t seen her episode, but the description alone feels very awards baity. Peter Scolari won as Hannah’s dad, so why not Baker as her mom?

I actually think we are underestimating Wanda Sykes. She is a TV veteran (The New Adventures of Old Christine) she was VERY good in her episode, and she could easily be a name they check off just because they really like her. I think it is possible that even though Veep will obviously win Comedy Series, that Black-ish still sweeps its other 3 nominations, winning for Sykes, Anderson, and even Globe winner Tracee Ellis Ross upsetting Julia Louis-Dreyfus. I know it was a completely different voting system back then, but do you remember how 30 Rock was the most Emmy-nominated Comedy ever for its 3rd season, won Comedy Series, but Tina Fey lost actress to Toni Collette? Tracee can win, as I think Tituss Burgess has way more a shot for UKS than Ellie Kemper. Tracee Ellis Ross feels like a clear alternative to Louis-Dreyfus, don’t sleep on her chances of a surprise win.

As for Wanda Sykes, she was memorable, solid, and even though I didn’t predict her I was thrilled she was nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

You are completely wrong, tapes do matter and Gummies is her best episode.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I think tapes matter to an extent, if the race is close, but if the nominee isn’t on a emmy popular show than I don’t think it matters. Scolari won out of goodwill and because his nomination stuck out due to the “WTF factor”. If tapes mattered than Laurie Metcalf, Liev Schrieber, and Maura Tierney would have walked away with gold.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

Sykes did nothing in her episode but sit around, then again Martindale win 2 times over several emmy favorites with actual material for doing that so anything is possible.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Sykes did nothing in her episode but sit around, then again Martindale win 2 times over several emmy favorites with actual material for doing that so anything is possible.

To be honest, Carrie Fisher also has very little to do in her episode

ReplyCopy URL
    unbb24
    Participant
    Topics:

This is why the possibility of Shannon Purser winning is not crazy at all

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know why I’m thinking a Cox victory in Guest Actress is seeming more and more likely.

Emmy recognition for Cox is wholly political. I dread a trans solidarity vote.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

McCarthy is winning, I’m really confident about that.

Drama Actress tho, that’s a tough call.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.