Home Forums Television Guest Acting Nominations 2017

Guest Acting Nominations 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 126 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

So I watched all of the episodes for Comedy Guest actress and here are my thoughts:

Wanda Sykes- black-ish– “LEMONS”

I forgot how good she was. She was very good in black-ish. She was very funny and a scene stealer. Her reaction when she found out Lucy voted for Trump. Catherine Reitman was also very good. Wanda Sykes is beloved. Who doesn’t love her? We should not sit on her. black-ish has its fans and this could be where its rewarded.

Kristen Wiig- Saturday Night Live– “Kristen Wiig”

Wigg’s monologue started off stupid but she was solid and the song ended up getting pretty catchy. Her next sketch was Secret Word. I wasn’t very funny. She was okay. She was real over the top and funny which makes for a good tape I guess. The Anderson Cooper sketch was funny. Wiig was funny but Cecily Strong stole that scene for me. She also stole the game show scene. The twist had me laughing so hard. The QVC audition sketch next. She was funny in it but once again this episode seems like it was made as Strong’s supporting tape, but that didn’t happen. Wiig was hilarious though. Kristen Wiif had me balling when she was Madiline. And then the clown came and I died.  Wiig was also funny in the cat sketch even though the sketch wasn’t great. She was hillarious in the surprise sketch. Even though Wiig was hilarious, the episode wasn’t one of the best. Also, why was Jones barely in the episode? I doubt she wins. She is the least likely in my opinion. Hell, now that I said that shes probably going to win lmao. But she isn’t near as popular as McCarthy, has a weaker tape, and isn’t as trending. She might take 1 or 2 votes but I doubt she’s a threat to McCarthy.

Melissa McCarthy- Saturday Night Live– Melissa McCarthy

McCarthy is beloved, she is popular, she is an Emmy winner, and she went viral this last season. She had a good monologue. She had some great physical comedy in the pie sketch. And then she had her amazing Sean Spicer sketch. That was one of her best ever. She was great. She wasn’t very good on the next sketch though. But oh well, for every Goodfellas there is a Vinyl, right? She at least had cameos in the scenes not about her. The animal sketch was eh. She was hilarious in the logo sketch though. She is a contender to win for sure. She is beloved. She has some amazing sketches and she went viral.

Angela Basset- Master of None– “Thanksgiving

Another contender. Angela Basset was a major part of THE buzziest episode in this category. Basset got in and this episode was nominated in writing so they probably have seen her performance. People have said her performance wasn’t funny enough but the opening was very funny. She also got to be funny during the scene with the face mask. And she gets to ACT. She is a possibility for sure. Even though the diner scene was so sad she was low key hilarious. Kim Whiltely was also funny and would’ve been a good nominee but I don’t think she was submitted. I’m also pissed Waithe was submitted in supporting because she’d be a great guest nominee. The nipplesandtoes23 scene had me dead and this was my third time watching it. Basset has funny scenes, dramatic scenes. Shes great. She’s overdue and and Oscar nominee. She gives a great performance and is a total threat.

Carrie Fisher- Catasrophe– Episode 6

Carrie Fisher is overdue and one of the most iconic performers ever. And she sdly died this year. She was absolutely hilarious. I was balling. She got to be so raunchy and it was amazing. She had amazing one liners. The show is on the radar from its writing nomination last year. Even if the voters don’t watch it, a Carrie Fisher name check would make sense. And lets say tapes don’t matter, if the voters watch one tape, it would be for Carrie Fisher because they want to see her one last time. I only watched Catastrophe after she died. People have said that the Emmys don’t love posthumous nominations but that was on the tape system, a system built to not be sentimental. In a popular vote people will be voting for her just because she is Carrie Fisher. DO you think Mendholson, Martindale, and Scolari won because the voters watched there tapes. Hell no! Its because they had goodwill. Fisher has a ton of goodwill. And she;s overdue. And she’s dead. Sure she didn’t have an a ton to do, but she stole her scenes and she is a dead legend. She even had a dramatic scene that had me crying and it was so hilarious. I see her winning.

Becky Ann Baker- Girls– “Gummies”

While I think Baker should have submitted “Latching”, “Gummies” is a good tape too. She is also overdue, finally just now getting nominated. She should’ve been nominated a long time ago. Scolari shocked last year so she shouldn’t be counted out. I don’t think the overdue factor will help her too much because Basset, Fisher, and Wiig. She is the type of actor that the new system loves to reward though. She gets to be high and that was Emmy gold on the tape system. She gets a good dramatic scene in the laundromat. Girls also did great with guest nominations so maybe Girls has a base of passion voters that could push her through.

Wrapping it up: I think this is a head to head battle between Fisher and McCarthy, but I think Fisher will come out on top. I do think, however, that Wanda Sykes, Angela Basset, and Becky Ann Baker could easily upset. The only person who I think cannot win is Wiig. And now she’s gonna win since I said that.

My Personal Ranking

1) Becky Ann Baker

2) Angela Basset

3) Carrie Fisher

4) Melissa McCarthy

5) Wanda Sykes

6) Kristen Wiig

My predictions

1) Carrie Fisher

2) Melissa McCarthy

3) Angela Basset

4) Becky Ann Baker

5) Wanda Sykes

6) Kristen Wiig

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Rooting for Alexis Bledel or Shannon Purser in Drama. I’m going with Carrie for Comedy just for sentiment reasons.

ReplyCopy URL
    kancov
    Participant
    Topics:

Shannon Purser winning over the other nominees would be a crime. Seriously, let’s forget the fact that she somehow got nominated, but think of how is she worthy of winning? The thought of someone having the chance to vote for only one winner and pick her is just baffling. Hate me, but in my opinion, she doesn’t even deserve to be there.

ReplyCopy URL
    wilfredpickles
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not fussed about Purser being nominated because I think it simply proves the show’s strength, that’s all. Stranger Things is my pick to win series right now and even if MBB or Harbour get swept up in the love, I still think Shannon would have a hard time winning. She’s barely in her episode and she doesn’t have an industry history like Martindale did in that scenario.

I haven’t watched this is us so I couldn’t care less about drama guest actor. On the comedy side I’m hoping for Laurie and Bassett to have the overdue factor work for them (plus I’m hoping the latter would hint at a master of none upset in series)

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

I want to root for Purser just becasue she is the underdog

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AndrewsArt

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    smurty11
    Participant
    Topics:

This is Bledel’s to lose. I never she could emote like this and nevertheless with no dialogue… Alison Wright could spoil as a consolation prize for The Americans Series snub, plus Margo won this the past two years.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like Ann Dowd is going to win because she’s Ann Dowd and she needs an emmy already.

ReplyCopy URL
    montana82
    Participant
    Topics:

The tapes DO NOT MATTER anymore. They don’t. No one can say they do. Margo Martindale would NEVER have won with those 2 tapes if they mattered. Regina King won last year over a superior episode from Olivia Colman. She won because she is well known and liked and Colman isn’t well known. Period.

Rami Malek and Tatiana Maslany would have NEVER won with those episodes in the past. Maslany’s episode was the type of confusing procedural sci fi episode that would be ranked sixth while Viola Davis crying holding a dead baby would have EASILY triumpthed if tapes were watched.

Kate McKinnon would also have never won up against a 20 minute Janney fest as a full episode of SNL always played badly up against series regulars.

Ben Mendelson won for a NOTHING episode.

Peter Scolari didn’t win because he had a great episode, he won because it was all over the internet that a guy got his nomination revoked and Scolari was the replacement.

THEY ARE NOT WATCHING THE EPISODES. Period. There is more than enough proof they are not.

The voters literally see 6 names or pictures on their computer screen and vote for who 1.) they have seen and like and/or 2.) who has the most buzz/passion around them. You also should take into account vote splitting when multiple people from the same show are involved unless there is 1 clear frontrunner. Voters also love respected character actors especially who work mostly in TV which is why I think either Laurie, Rhys, or Riz will win Guest Actor Comedy while the 3 big names from SNL cancel out.

Anyone taking into account episodes is simply going down the wrong road.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  montana82.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

Rami Malek and Tatiana Maslany would have NEVER won with those episodes in the past. Maslany’s episode was the type of confusing procedural sci fi episode that would be ranked sixth while Viola Davis crying holding a dead baby would have EASILY triumpthed if tapes were watched.

i dont think either of those two were worthy of getting name checked … they have to be fans of those shows to appreciate the or even know either of them , they are not big actors and dont have alot of acting under their belt . i think if they were name checking they would have picked Davis or freaking Wright … i think they do watch the shows and tapes because i see no reason anyone would vote for rami or tatiana without having seen them act.

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

Comedy Guest Actress is giving me too much trouble. The only thing I know for a fact is that Kristin Wigg is not winning.

I would love to say that McCarthy is a lock, but she is reminding me a lot of Larry David last year and how he was this alleged lock because of his Bernie Sanders impersonation, yet he lost to Peter Scolari of all people. David was nominated against a co-star, as is McCarthy. And we have Becky Ann-Baker and Wanda Sykes in contention here, two character actresses who (just like Scolari) have pretty much worked with everyone. And the guest categories are just going there own way the last two years, so we should be prepared for upsets by Sykes, Ann-baker, Rhys, Cox and Wong.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

we should be prepared for upsets by Sykes, Ann-baker, Rhys, Cox and Wong.

i dont think melissa is a super lock , i think it wouldnt be suprising for baker , cox or wong to win … i think Laurie has more of a lock vibe and rhys would be more surprising .

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

i dont think either of those two were worthy of getting name checked … they have to be fans of those shows to appreciate the or even know either of them , they are not big actors and dont have alot of acting under their belt . i think if they were name checking they would have picked Davis or freaking Wright … i think they do watch the shows and tapes because i see no reason anyone would vote for rami or tatiana without having seen them act.

It’s about buzz, they might have been watching Mr. Robot, cuz everyone was and everyone wanted Malek to win, but I doubt voters are watching Orphan Black. That’s all about the buzz Maslany generated.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Laurie will finally get his emmy this year, the SNL guys will cancel each other out and voters like Veep a lot more than Girls, where Rhys and Ahmed might also cancel each other out.

I’m starting to think Fisher could be the best bet to win her category. I think this voting system will be a lot more sentimental than the past one. That’s a tough category though especially since Martindale won the last two years, I really wouldn’t count anyone out except Wiig.
    I’m betting on McRaney for drama guest actor because I don’t think the other two this is us guys will take away any votes, but Azaria is a big contender as well because of how much they love him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Laurie will finally get his emmy this year, the SNL guys will cancel each other out and voters like Veep a lot more than Girls, where Rhys and Ahmed might also cancel each other out.

Agree i think its his

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    Leon94
    Participant
    Topics:

In Drama Guest Actress, anyone could literally win in that category. Has anyone watched Cicely Tyson’s tape for How to Get Away with Murder? The episode is titled “Go Cry Somewhere Else”.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.