If Indiewire did a Top 25 TV Comedies Since 1999, What Would End Up on It?

Home // Forums // Television // If Indiewire did a Top 25 TV Comedies Since 1999, What Would End Up on It?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
  • Juni Zapoto
    Participant
    Topics:

A while ago, Indiewire did this article:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/the-25-best-tv-dramas-since-the-sopranos-20160210

And I was wondering, should Indiewire make a list like it for TV comedies? 

AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Haven’t got 25, but these would probably all make it onto the list:

30 Rock
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Arrested Development
    The Office
    The Thick of It
    Parks and Recreation
    Community
    Veep
    Modern Family
    Transparent
    Will and Grace
    Weeds
    Louie
    Pushing Daisies
    Extras
    It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia
    Scrubs
    Freaks and Geeks

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

That drama list is no good.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boidiva02
    Participant
    Topics:

If they chose to include Animated Series as well, than Archer would be on the list for sure.

I’m also sure we’d see The Middle on this list; and probably Veep and/or Silicon Valley.

Its possible Mom would be on the list as well.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

Terrible in fact. Orange is the New Black is the 11th best drama of the past 17 years? Come on. Game of Thrones in the top five? The Shield can’t crack the top ten, but The Good Wife can? And if you’re gonna throw a bid towards a miniseries you gotta do better than the wildly uneven Top of The Lake. That over Band of Brothers, Carlos, Olive Kitteridge, etc. Just terrible. And your beloved Lost did not deserve to be that low. Even Six Feet Under shouldn’t have been that low considering some of the things that are ahead of it. They criticized its final seasons, but we’re gonna pretend that TGW hasn’t been a mess in its last two seasons. Borgen had one good season. And besides the obvious ‘Battlestar’, Lost and GoT inclusions there are no genre shows when Firefly, Fringe, 24 and/or Veronica Mars could have easily been included over many of those choices. Finally, if FNL ain’t in your top five I take no heed to your list.

It’s pretty much an aggregated list of the most “internet acclaimed” dramas since The Sopranos with a few quirky choices to remind people they’re IndieWire. All lists are a matter of perference and personal taste, but that was just eye-rolling. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Considering they suck up to everything related to Veep it would be their number one for sure. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if Veep held all the positions in their top 25. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

The order just seemed all out of whack.  #11 Orange is the New Black and #10 The Good Wife, really?  Mad Men over Breaking Bad?  What year is this?

My beloved Lost down at #23 is one thing, but right below Terriers?  It was a fine show and it was too bad that it was cancelled quickly, but that is kind of all that it was (a fine show that was cancelled quickly).  Then you have a trifecta of in-progress two-season shows from #20 to #18 and The Knick is the one that comes out on top over The Leftovers and Fargo?

Rectify and Hannibal are good-ish shows for their years that they aired, but I would never think to place them in the top fifteen of a list with such scope while leaving a long-running, ground-breaking show that I have seen like 24 out of the top twenty-five entirely.  And I only imagine that a long-running, ground-breaking show that I have not seen like Six Feet Under was equally snubbed outside the top twenty in the face of entries like those.  Not an opinion cool enough for Indiewire, but I would never even place these two ahead of shows that went on too long with entire botched seasons like House and Dexter because at least we got a few really good years from them.  Rectify has only aired twenty-two episodes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

House and Dexter might make my top 30, probably not 20. I’m okay with Rectify being pretty high. It would likely make my top 20, and it has just one more season. I think I slightly prefer Mad Men over Breaking Bad. The latter has very little re-watch value for me, especially its latter seasons. Though The Wire, Friday Night Lights, and Deadwood are my post ‘Sopranos’ trifecta.

I agree with everything else you say however. ‘Orange’ and The Good Wife being so high and The Shield not even being in the top 10 are the things that kill the list for me. I could at least respect it if the former two weren’t so high. And I guess I’m just gonna have to accept that the spectacle and ambition of GoT does not shield its ridiculous amount of flaws like they seem to do with a lot of others.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Better late than never.

It has been years since they had a handle on episodic storytelling!

ReplyCopy URL
    Bradley Weir
    Participant
    Topics:

The top 5 is just about perfect though.

ReplyCopy URL
    mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

At least 15 of the dramas behind Game of Thrones are better! No way does that get into a top 5- I would argue that genre shows like 24 (season 5 of that show was better than anything GOT has done) that were left off have been more impactful. I actually really like that Hannibal, Rectify, Borgen and The Leftovers are so high up, but The Americans shouldn’t be as high as 17 imo (it’s really good but not an exceptionally shot or even written drama). Obviously The Good Wife and OITNB should not be that high, but the top 4 in that order is perfect.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

I give them no credit for their top four (not top five ’cause that would be ridiculously including GoT). Those are the four shows that would make practically every critic’s top five. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: If Indiewire did a Top 25 TV Comedies Since 1999, What Would End Up on It?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.