Home Forums Television Lead Actor in a Drama Series, 2006

Lead Actor in a Drama Series, 2006

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Did Sutherland really have the best tape?

Bill Buchanan
    Topics:

I haven’t seen all the tapes so I can’t say if he did, but Sutherland deserved an Emmy (or two) for that role and I’m really glad he got it. He could have won in 2002, 2005 and 2006 (but I wouldn’t have been mad at all to see him win for any other year).

The one sad thing about 2006 is that Martin Sheen ended his run on the West Wing without an emmy. He should have won in 2001 for “Two Cathedrals”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Based on tapes, Sutherland didn’t deserve the Emmy. Sheen, Leary (who I believe had the best tape in the category), and Krause all had better tapes than Sutherland did. This win, IMO, is the only time I’ve seen the much talked about and heavily debated “overdue factor” come into play.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Eng
    Participant
    Topics:

To be fair, Sutherland did submit his best over the years (2002-Season 1 finale, 2003-George Mason episode, 2004-Season 3 finale, 2005-Chinese consulate episode, 2006-Season 5 premiere, 2007-Season 6 finale (best of the worst season)). Of those tapes, the season 1 finale was probably the best. The tape system really hurt 24 in general, as it was so serialized (with the real-time aspect) and thus full character arcs were hard to compress into 1 episode. Thus, finales tended to be good submissions as they completed character arcs and tended to be more explosive and meaty for the actors (e.g. Season 1 for Haysbert and Jerald, Season 5 finale for Itzin and Smart, Season 7 finale for Jones etc.). I agree the overdue factor helped Sutherland and, in his case, it was well-deserved. Jack Bauer is an iconic character and it would’ve been a shame if Sutherland never won. Season 5 had great timing, being the best season of the show, with relatively weak competition, and the overdue factor hanging in the air. 

ReplyCopy URL
    sorcery
    Topics:

I wonder if Andre Braugher would have beat Sutherland if his drama series had been submitted in its proper field.

The inclusion of House in Outstanding Drama Series but exclusion of Laurie is ATAS at its funniest and most inept. 

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Should have gone to Krause that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bill Buchanan
    Topics:

To be fair, Sutherland did submit his best over the years (2002-Season 1 finale, 2003-George Mason episode, 2004-Season 3 finale, 2005-Chinese consulate episode, 2006-Season 5 premiere, 2007-Season 6 finale (best of the worst season)). Of those tapes, the season 1 finale was probably the best. The tape system really hurt 24 in general, as it was so serialized (with the real-time aspect) and thus full character arcs were hard to compress into 1 episode. Thus, finales tended to be good submissions as they completed character arcs and tended to be more explosive and meaty for the actors (e.g. Season 1 for Haysbert and Jerald, Season 5 finale for Itzin and Smart, Season 7 finale for Jones etc.). I agree the overdue factor helped Sutherland and, in his case, it was well-deserved. Jack Bauer is an iconic character and it would’ve been a shame if Sutherland never won. Season 5 had great timing, being the best season of the show, with relatively weak competition, and the overdue factor hanging in the air. 

His episodes submissions were indeed pretty spot on. I really think some of Sutherland’s strongest acting is in that finale for season 6 where he says goodbye to audrey.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Denis Leary had the best tape, by far.

ReplyCopy URL
    dsps84
    Participant
    Topics:

If Laurie had been nominated, would he have beaten Sutherland? House broke through with a series nod that year.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Lead Actor in a Drama Series, 2006

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.