Home Forums Television Limited/Movie Supporting Actor 2017

Limited/Movie Supporting Actor 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
pulp50
Bee
jacob121
  • Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Getting mixed messages on Hank Azaria in The Wizard of Lies, so I think that this is Alfred Molina’s to lose for Feud.

David Zurawik, The Baltimore Sun: “Beyond the work of Levinson and De Niro, there are strong supporting performances by Michelle Pfeiffer as Ruth Madoff and Hank Azaria as Frank DiPascali, the longtime Madoff employe who ran the Ponzi scheme on a day-to-day basis. You can count on hearing Azaria’s name at Emmy time.”

Jeff Sneider, formerly of various publications: “De Niro & sons are good, but I loved Hank Azaria. Respect to Pfeiffer, but I felt like her accent WAS the performance. Wish Ruth had more to do.”

Dan Fienberg, The Hollywood Reporter: “Among the other castmembers, Hank Azaria has the most fun as Madoff’s partner-in-scam Frank DiPascali, a scuzzy figure who vanishes entirely from the second half of The Wizard of Lies. He seems an uncouth, cartoonish character from a different movie, but some viewers are likely to think that movie would be more entertaining.”

Jarrod Walker, FilmInk: “As the stoic, virtually inert Madoff, De Niro is a picture of tightly wound conflict and constriction, his performance being more about what he doesn’t do, rather than what he does do. Pfeiffer is terrific as Ruth and Darrow and Nivola are particularly fine as his doomed sons.” [Note how he highlights others without mentioning Azaria.]

Anonymous
    Topics:

If the undeserving Tucci gets in, vote splitting will happen. I think we could have a three way race (depending on which or if any of these three gets in) between Idris Elba, Benito Martinez, and Michel K Williams.

Also, Adam Scott should be in the prediction center. He is easily the best male performance in Big Little Lies and I could easily see him getting in. I would predict him before I’d predict Skaarsgaard.

Alfred Molina
    David Thewlis
    Idris Elba
    Benito Martinez
    Michael K Williams
    Michael Stuhlburg

ReplyCopy URL
    jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

This category is giving me anxiety. I am constantly flipping through contenders. I currently have the two Fargo guys getting in but not very confident. Is this the year they drop Freeman? Did Tucci actually do anything in feud? What about Idris Elba? Can Skarsgaard overcome the creepiness of his performance? I feel like this is definitely a category I can go like 1/6.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

This category is giving me anxiety. I am constantly flipping through contenders. I currently have the two Fargo guys getting in but not very confident. Is this the year they drop Freeman? Did Tucci actually do anything in feud? What about Idris Elba? Can Skarsgaard overcome the creepiness of his performance? I feel like this is definitely a category I can go like 1/6.

Ya this’ll probably be where everybody goofs up. I’m expecting some crazy nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    boss
    Participant
    Topics:

So far, I am pretty sure of this lineup:

Hank Azaria – The Wizard of Lies
    Alexander Skarsgard – Big Little Lies
    Martin Freeman – Sherlock
    Alfred Molina – Feud: Bette and Joan
    Stanley Tucci – Feud: Bette and Joan

The last slot will probably go to Michael Stuhlbarg or David Thewlis. Though, voters may choose Toby Jones over Martin Freeman due to the submitted episode of Sherlock.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

This should be a slam dunk for Molina but indeed, Tucci’s presence would no doubt hurt and perhaps result in someone like Freeman prevailing.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: 20 Years of Streep (1995) – The Bridges of Madison County

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

There is no way through fargo doesnt get a nomination here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Matt Bomer was also a slam dunk. Oh that loss was shocking at the time but hindsight says vote splitting happened because Ryan Murphy was obsessed with getting too many nominations instead of getting enough wins. So I can see Molina losing votes from Tucci and ultimately someone random wins.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Martinez easily gives the best performance by far. I’m not sure he can get in, but I think he will win if he gets in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

It seems like Pfeiffer is truly supporting… now I feel shitty I called HBO some nasty things. Oh wait they still submitted Woodley in supporting. Those motherfuckers. Fuck them. Fuck them right in the ass. With cactus.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

Jeff Sneider, formerly of various publications: “De Niro & sons are good, but I loved Hank Azaria. Respect to Pfeiffer, but I felt like her accent WAS the performance. Wish Ruth had more to do.”

Well if Sneider loves him he can’t be that good. I only say that because Sneider is a huge douche, Azaria is probably actually fine.

ReplyCopy URL
    Carlo
    Participant
    Topics:

Toby Jones should be nominated before Martin Freeman

If a Big Little Lies men gets in he should be Adam Scott

Benito Martinez should win

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I was thinking that Alfred Molina could overcome vote-splitting since his role was large enough that they almost campaigned him lead, but I could see Stanley Tucci picking up some votes actually. He was excellent. There was not a lot there, but Tucci is going to be great with whatever he is given. Molina is not quite Sterling K. Brown and Tucci might stand a better chance than John Travolta at vote-splitting.

Is this the year they drop Freeman?

They already dropped him last year.

Matt Bomer was also a slam dunk. Oh that loss was shocking at the time but hindsight says vote splitting happened because Ryan Murphy was obsessed with getting too many nominations instead of getting enough wins.

The ballot was ranked back then. I did not have Matt Bomer as a slam dunk, but I would have guessed that Joe Mantello would be the upset because of the speech factor. Voters just did not respond to the limited screen time and emoting. A borderline co-lead, Martin Freeman got to verbalize his response to his wife’s deceit and he also had a second performance that voters were seeing.

ReplyCopy URL
    DCurrie
    Participant
    Topics:

Benito Martinez should win

This could and should be a nice battle between Benito & Alfred. But Benito will probably not again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

There is no way through fargo doesnt get a nomination here.

I say there is no way Fargo DOES get a nomination here, not with Toby Jones, Alfred Molina, Stanley Tucci, and maybe even Martin Freeman getting in. I know there are 6 slots but… David Thewlis is on the fence, but let’s just see how he does the rest of the season.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
Reply To: Limited/Movie Supporting Actor 2017

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.