Home Forums Television Most Pleasant Surprises from 2015 Emmy Viewing

Most Pleasant Surprises from 2015 Emmy Viewing

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Although being a dilligent Emmy fan annually forces me to watch eight Modern Family
    episodes, it also opens my eyes to things like Bill Hader’s first
    performance as a puppeteering war veteran and the “Celery” episode of Portlandia.  My big three this year are:

• Anna Chlumsky’s comedy supporting actress submission because she absolutely nails that speech,
    • the “Sleepover” episode of Louie
      nominated for directing that culminates in that surreal black-and-white
      “flashback” with the goat and, better yet, the taxi driver joining
      Louie and the girls at the ice cream parlour
    • and a surprisingly good episode both for the show and submitter Andre Braugher of Brooklyn Nine-Nine that had me wondering if I had jumped ship too hastily.

What were you thankful to see that you never would have otherwise?

Gone_Guy
    Topics:

Never expected to like “The Last Man on Earth” so much. And really didn’t expect his performance in his episode to blow Jeffrey Tambor’s episode out of the water. 

It’s fascinating that both Kyle Chandler and Ben Mendelsohn could win. I watched season 1 of “Bloodline” in its entirety, and it was just ok. But the performances Chandler and Mendelsohn give in “Part 12” are television at its finest. Unfortunately, that episode was the only thing Chandler got to do all season. Mendelsohn, however, nailed it every single episode, as he was given the meatiest material. People that have watched Emmy submissions may be compelled to watch the entire season after that one episode, but… I think they’ll be disappointed. Rooting for season 2 to up the quality. (I think a 10-season order would better serve this series.)

Robin Wright in “Chapter 32” and Michael Kelly in “Chapter 26” both make me forget how bored I was with the third season of “House of Cards.”

The “Game of Thrones” ladies. Lena Headey’s great acting is hindered by crappy CGI. Emilia Clarke’s acting is enhanced by the CGI of her scene.   

Struggled to get through “American Crime” and “Empire” (but I did). I watched the former after it received so many nominations. Couldn’t connect to it. I watched the latter because of all the hype. Loved some of the performances (Taraji P. Henson, Courtney Love, and Jussie Smollett) and the music is great. But the series as a whole lacks great writing (a testament to Henson, who enhances the writing with her performance). But the pleasant surprise is Henson in the pilot. You just can’t help but cheer for this woman every time she is on the screen, while also saying, “Wow. This is going to be a great series.” 

ReplyCopy URL
    Bradley Weir
    Participant
    Topics:

Orange is the New Black. I had watched the first couple of episodes, and I had forgotten about it. Then it gets nominated for best drama and so I decide to go back to it. What a great decision, since the show is now one of my favourites and its introduced me to so many wonderful actresses and actors.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bradley Weir
    Participant
    Topics:

Never expected to like “The Last Man on Earth” so much. And really didn’t expect his performance in his episode to blow Jeffrey Tambor’s episode out of the water. 

It’s fascinating that both Kyle Chandler and Ben Mendelsohn could win. I watched season 1 of “Bloodline” in its entirety, and it was just ok. But the performances Chandler and Mendelsohn give in “Part 12” are television at its finest. Unfortunately, that episode was the only thing Chandler got to do all season. Mendelsohn, however, nailed it every single episode, as he was given the meatiest material. People that have watched Emmy submissions may be compelled to watch the entire season after that one episode, but… I think they’ll be disappointed. Rooting for season 2 to up the quality. (I think a 10-season order would better serve this series.)

Robin Wright in “Chapter 32” and Michael Kelly in “Chapter 26” both make me forget how bored I was with the third season of “House of Cards.”

The “Game of Thrones” ladies. Lena Headey’s great acting is hindered by crappy CGI. Emilia Clarke’s acting is enhanced by the CGI of her scene.   

Struggled to get through “American Crime” and “Empire” (but I did). I watched the former after it received so many nominations. Couldn’t connect to it. I watched the latter because of all the hype. Loved some of the performances (Taraji P. Henson, Courtney Love, and Jussie Smollett) and the music is great. But the series as a whole lacks great writing (a testament to Henson, who enhances the writing with her performance). 

Agree with this. Had never been much of a Will Forte fan but he’s done a terrific job both with his acting and writing in this show.

ReplyCopy URL
    DingbatHauteur
    Topics:

1. I have never watched an episode of ‘Saturday Night Live’ untill this year and i was very pleasantly suprised (especially by Kate McKinnon).
    2. I tried watching ‘OITNB’, but couldn’t get into it, so this was my first encounter with Uzo Aduba – amazing performance. I bumped her to number two in my predictions.
    3. Andre Braugher.

ReplyCopy URL
    nahborghi
    Participant
    Topics:

Louie! I had never seen the show before, and I fell in love with it completely. After watching all of its submissions, i’ve gone back and watched the entire show, because it’s that good. This year’s “Bobby’s House” and “Untittled” are some of the best comedy hours I’ve seen. I wish Pamela Adlon could win this year, I loved her entire work on the show. The honesty in her character is something that really caught me.

Both of Girls’ submitted episodes made me reevaluate my former decision to stop watching this show. The finale was incredible, and Adam Driver’s submission was another good half hour of tv.

Nurse Jackie’s finale was another outstanding episode. I know we all say Edie Falco isn’t winning this, and I agree that this show is way too dramatic to ever win again, but if we’re talking about the quality of work, Edie Falco would be my #2 choice after Lisa Kudrow.

And most of all, Homeland. In a ideal world, the show would win Series and Actress. Too bad Claire Danes screwed up her submission. But the whole season was just something out of this world.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Hmmm. “Inside Amy Schumer” is a big one. I didn’t know of her or the show’s existence until this spring (she’s in her third season? What?), but now I can’t imagine what this past television season would have been like without her presence in it. I’ll also include “Empire” in this, b/c at first glance, it felt like such a low-rent sort of project with Lee Daniels attached to it. I always wish the best for Taraji, but I didn’t know most of the names attached to it besides Terrence Howard who I’m meh about, so I reluctantly watched the pilot after the trailer sparked my interest. The pilot soared and I had to have my Cookie fix every week, so basically that was that. I don’t have many Emmy tape discoveries post-nominations, since I’ve seen what I’ve wanted to see this past Emmy season and already watched the majority of the acting nominees. The only one who comes to mind is Maggie Gyllenhaal for “The Honorable Woman.” Just started to get into that, and she’s exceptional in this demanding and peculiar leading actress role. I wouldn’t have watched this without the Emmy nominations I think, even though it’s received much critical acclaim and SAG/Globes nods for Gyllenhaal. I’ll hopefully finish this all up by the telecast next month.

ReplyCopy URL
    CanadianFan
    Participant
    Topics:

‘Getting On’!

I would have never checked out the show without that surprise Niecy Nash nomination.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

I guess I hand’t recalled Bill Hader’s episode well enough, because when I rewatched it for the Emmy submissions, it was a real treat this time around. Same with Louie’s  “Sleepover” in Directing.

It’s also been a long while since I watched Girls regularly, so I’d forgotten about the news of Gillian Jacobs having a role this season. Seeing her play off of Adam Driver made me curious to seek out the other episodes she had been in.

Also, I’d never seen Black-ish until this point, and now I really want to catch up with it. Mostly for Tracee Ellis Ross, who was amazing in Anthony Anderson’s episode.

ReplyCopy URL
    Webly
    Participant
    Topics:

Homeland’s fourth season was much better than the third season. I dropped it after watching the third season, but picked it back up after the Emmy nomination. However, Claire Danes submitted a horrible episode, so… at least Tatiana Maslany has a better chance. 🙂

Better Call Saul’s Emmy nomination also pushed me to keep watching the show (before, I had only watched the first episode) and I’m very glad that I did. It got better as it went on. And, I’m excited about the next season.

Some people were surprised about OITNB and Girls, but I had already watched those seasons and loved them. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Os
    Participant
    Topics:

– Liev Schreiber: When he was announced as a nominee I was like WTF? but I watched his episode and I really liked it (I watched the rest of season 2 because of it and now Im watching season 3)

-Louie: Very weird episodes but I loved them.

-American crime: I thought it was going to be bad (Because of all the reviews and comments here) but it wasnt.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d never seen Black-ish until this point, and now I really want to catch up with it. Mostly for Tracee Ellis Ross, who was amazing in Anthony Anderson’s episode.

Forgot about that; the black-ish episode would be my fourth pleasant surprise.  I had actually seen the pilot before and it was easy to dismiss as another ABC family sitcom (pretty much cookie cutter at this point), but it was pretty funny and I have said before that Anthony Anderson would be an sure winner under the old system.  And I hear that he had better to submit!  Maybe I am missing out by not watching this show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Denis
    Participant
    Topics:

Inside Amy Schumer and Key and Peele. both of them surprised me, but I don’t think they will win this year, hopes for a return for both of them next year and also Jordan Peele might be given a chance to join his co-star.

ReplyCopy URL
    mikeboy898
    Participant
    Topics:

Definitely The Last Man on Earth. I binge-watched the entire 1st season after nominations were announced, and loved it. Such a unique comedy, cleverly written and I love Will Forte’s performance. Although I think Jeffrey Tambor should win because his performance was emotional and poignant, I think Will Forte was the funniest nominee this year by a landslide.

Looking forward to Season 2 later this month.

ReplyCopy URL
    David Buchanan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Although being a dilligent Emmy fan annually forces me to watch eight Modern Family
    episodes, it also opens my eyes to things like Bill Hader’s first
    performance as a puppeteering war veteran and the “Celery” episode of Portlandia.  My big three this year are:

• Anna Chlumsky‘s comedy supporting actress submission because she absolutely nails that speech,
    • the “Sleepover” episode of Louie
      nominated for directing that culminates in that surreal black-and-white
      “flashback” with the goat and, better yet, the taxi driver joining
      Louie and the girls at the ice cream parlour
    • and a surprisingly good episode both for the show and submitter Andre Braugher of Brooklyn Nine-Nine that had me wondering if I had jumped ship too hastily.

What were you thankful to see that you never would have otherwise?

Riley compliments two of my favorite nominated performers?! Today is a good day. 

Formerly known in the forums as PianoMann.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.