My 2013 Emmy Nominee Predictions

Home // Forums // Television // My 2013 Emmy Nominee Predictions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 170 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

My 2013 Emmy nominee predictions are now available for viewing and comments. Sorry for the delay, but I had to create an entirely new web page.

Top 12 candidates for all comedy and drama categories. Will add more categories soon. 

http://awardsheaven.angelfire.com/boomer.htm

CanadianFan
    Participant
    Topics:

These are definitely interesting picks.

What sticks out to me:
    -I think you have comedy series exactly right.
    -Zosia Momet instead of Allison Williams for “Girls”. I’m not convinced that either of them will get in.  
    -Jane Krakowski back for “30 Rock”… I suppose I can see it but it’s hard to get back in the category.
    -Ed O’Neil dropped and Greenfield + Tambor in. That’s a bold prediction but certainly possible.

-Drama series… I think this might be where you’ve made a mistake. I don’t see Game of Thrones getting dropped after a season of high acclaim and The Newsroom getting in after being eviscerated by critics. I think Downton Abbey is a lot weaker than you do.

-Drama actress… no Emmy Rossum hurts but I can understand why. I think there’s an actress from “The Americans” that you meant to put in your number six slot.

These are pretty bold. The only one I outright disagree with is the GoT snub.

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

Yes, Game of Thrones will not miss the nomination for Drama Series. Have you seen its ratings? Highest so far for the show, and still growing. The critics reviews have been overwhelmingly positive. It feels like the hot show right now, and more importantly, it’s a show that hasn’t really peaked yet (like Mad Men and arguably Homeland, which may never again match the magic of season one) and is continuing to improve. Right now GoT’s the most ambitious show on television, the largest cast, filmed in 4 different countries, utilizing some of the best visual effects on TV. I know it might be hard to tell since we’re only four episodes in, but I don’t see this show missing. I actually think Homeland, Breaking Bad, and Game of Thrones are the three likeliest shows to be nominated. Right now I think there will either be a repeat of last year’s Drama Series nominees OR one show will be dropped, most likely Boardwalk Empire. But Boardwalk Empire had a good season, so maybe it won’t be that one. Considering what could be added is a good question (House of Cards because it has buzz, or maybe an arguably better show like Justified or The Americans).

Also from Game of Thrones: watch out for Lena Headey. If there’s a chance another GoT actor gets in, it will most likely be her over Emilia Clarke. This season holds great promise and if she gets a few killer scenes, she may get in. She deserved to last year with the episode Blackwater–as we know sometimes it takes a few seasons for an actor to build the support needed to be nominated (i.e. Aaron Paul and then Anna Gunn in Breaking Bad).

I think you’ve pretty much nailed Best Actor. And I agree with SxECanadianFanSxE…I feel like Downton Abbey is on it’s way out, way overrated.

I hope Emmy Rossum gets more attention. Shameless had a very strong third season. The last two episodes in particular were excellent, and received rave reviews from internet critics. Though there’s a slim chance the show will get into more categories than just Joan Cusack (who will be nominated as a guest actress, she’s in pretty much every episode), it doesn’t help when prognosticators try to predict how the Emmys will vote, thereby guiding the voters toward certain shows and away from others that are seen as more difficult, less mainstream. I’d encourage some more interesting and outside the box choices, as it’s only when that happens on forums and from select critics that people in the Academy will look beyond the easy and lazy choices and recognize different people, sometimes the actors who are most deserving and haven’t yet been acknowledged. Emmy Rossum is such a natural on Shameless, she deserves some attention and buzz more than some of the other easy choices. Please check out her performance!

Lastly, Drama Guest Actress: I like a few of your 7-12 choices: Joan Cusack is getting in as I said. Diana Rigg was dynamite on the last Game of Thrones episode. She’s a more interesting choice than the pair of Good Wife nominees. Maybe Margo Martindale could get in too, as someone the Academy is very familiar with?

I really don’t care about comedy, but I think VEEP stays.

ReplyCopy URL
    SaraR
    Topics:

Yes, very interesting predictions. So you anticipate Elisabeth Moss to submit in lead and not get in? I feel like she’ll be nominated wherever she submits, but she has a much greater chance of getting in at supporting…

I have to agree that The Newsroom will not get in, especially as Game of Thrones has been gaining momentum in the past few weeks. Doesn’t The Newsroom’s second season debut in mid-July? I’m not sure how much traction that will get it in terms of nominations…

In fact I think the only drama predictions that completely match mine are lead actor.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

I believe you are overestimating the chances of The Newsroom. And I don’t see Moss snubbed.

But these are great predictions.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ted Mosby
    Topics:

my only beef is i think your’re waaaay overestimating the newsroom. id be shocked if the show gets anything besides a nod for jeff daniels. the ratings and reviews were mediocare at best.

ReplyCopy URL
    A Person
    Participant
    Topics:

What’s your reasoning behind The Newsroom at No.2?  The Emmys showed with Studio 60 they won’t just rubber-stamp Sorkin’s shows if the critics hate them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

Comedy Series – I would put The Big Bang Theory ahead of Girls, Louie and Arrested Development, only because of its track record in the category.

Comedy Actress – That will porbably be the six, though I think all of the top 6 women except for Deschanel are more secure than Dunham.

Comedy Actor – Last year’s winner loved-by-the-voters Cryer should be higher, regardless of how little he deserves to even be in competition.

Comedy Supp. Actress – Bialik and de Rossi over Mamet and White.

Comedy Supp. Actor – I don’t think Greenfield comes back, but it sure would be nice.

Comedy Guest Actress – No notes.

Comedy Guest Actor – David Lynch has to be in there, especially if you have Parker Posey AND Melissa Leo in guest actress.

Drama Series – No way does Game of Thrones get bumped for The Newsroom.

Drama Actress – Who is the actress from The Americans? And watch out for Vera Farmiga.

Drama Actor – I see Olyphant getting back in. Don’t know who to bump though.

Drama Supp. Actress – Previous winner Archie Panjabi out?

Drama Supp. Actor – No notes.

Drama Guest Categories – No notes.

Lastly, I don’t know which category he’ll be in, but watch out for Mads Mikkelsen as Hannibal Lecter on Hannibal. 

ReplyCopy URL
    t-clark
    Participant
    Topics:

I think your predictions show a heavy bias towards The Newsroom. I have a hatred for Downton Abbey but still include them in my predictions. I have followed your site for like 2 or 3 years now. Good that its back! 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    SaraR
    Topics:

^Have to agree about the slant toward The Newsroom. Olivia Munn in for supporting would shock me. I would like to know why you believe so strongly it will do so well (much better than expected) in nominations.

Mads Mikkelson is supporting. I would say he could get in as a wild card but that show has been hemorrhaging viewers in the past few weeks. He does give a strong performance though — very creepy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Max 2.0
    Topics:

Great website! I especially agree on the Best Drama Series predictions. There’s no way the 6 shows that got nominated last year are coming back. When was the last time that happened? There’s bound to be new shows nominated. And love that you “Girls” at #2! People are really underestimating it. They really are letting their bias get on the way.

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The folks at HBO are the best campaigners in the business, and their main focus this year is getting Newsroom as many nominations as possible. Once in, some of their people have scenery-chewing speeches to actually win. I am not the biggest fan of the show, but that is the truth of the matter. They will sacrifce Game of Thrones and especially Boardwalk Empire for it.

These are just my first picks across the board. They will continue to change, probably week-by-week.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

^ The nominees in 2000 & 2001 were exactly the same: West Wing, Sopranos, ER, Law & Order and The Practice.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Boomer, do you have a personal opinion about Farmiga’s chance in this race?

ReplyCopy URL
    A Person
    Participant
    Topics:

The folks at HBO are the best campaigners in the business, and their main focus this year is getting Newsroom as many nominations as possible. Once in, some of their people have scenery-chewing speeches to actually win. I am not the biggest fan of the show, but that is the truth of the matter. They will sacrifce Game of Thrones and especially Boardwalk Empire for it.

These are just my first picks across the board. They will continue to change, probably week-by-week.

Why?  The Newsroom is less well liked by both critics and audiences (ratings significantly dropped as the season went on) than Game of Thrones and Boardwalk.  Pushing it ahead of those two shows makes no sense at all (especially Game of Thrones which is the perfect combination of popular, acclaimed and buzz-worthy).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 170 total)
Reply To: My 2013 Emmy Nominee Predictions

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.