Home Forums Television New shows: 2011-2012. Favourites and Possible future emmy nominees.

New shows: 2011-2012. Favourites and Possible future emmy nominees.

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Created
6 years ago
Last Reply
6 years ago
replies
views
users
  • sam
    Topics:

i) Which 3 shows are you looking forward to the most?

ii) Which 3 shows do you think have good emmy potential, and what for?

Mine…

i) I am really looking forward to Awake, Ringer and The River. The trailers look great and all three appear to be based on concepts which are relatively rare for television.

ii) Awake – the trailer has shown both the show itself and Jason Isaacs in a positive light.

Ringer – seeing as the show is on the CW, I doubt it’ll get nominated, but I do think Sarah Michelle Gellar will be one to watch come next years Emmys.

New Girl – looks like a well made comedy. It’d be hard, but maybe Zooey Deschanel could break into the Lead Comedy actress category.

All these opinions could change ofcourse, maybe even before I finish watching the pilots. But these are my early thoughts, what are yours?

Conrado
    Participant
    Topics:

I could see Zooey Deschanel getting nominated for Lead Actress Comedy, but not having seen anything but trailers, I wouldn’t dare make any kinds of predictions. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Spenser Davis
    Participant
    Topics:

Coni21, these threads are always fun because you have nothing but the trailer to base your prediction off of. It’s always funny to look back and see how wrong (or sometimes, how spot-on) your blind predictions really were.

With Toni Collette definitely gone next year, that opens up at least one slot. Sure, there are a lot of contenders in that category, but Zooey Deschanel looks spunky in The New Girl. The moment that won me over was when she has the “Thanks, coach” moment, only to ruin it by getting pathetically krunk.

Awake looks good. Like, Drama Series dark horse good. Kyle Killen is the showrunner, which could be a benefit and could be a drawback. After all, Killen’s last effort Lone Star failed to meet expectations when, what would have worked better as a TV movie was being attempted in a 23-episode season. Yikes. Also, the concept turned soap-ish quickly. Let’s hope that Killen keeps the concept fresh and exciting. Jason Isaacs, as mentioned by Sam, could break into the Drama Actor race with the right amount of material.

The River looks exciting, and Oren Peli might just get a nomination for directing the pilot episode. Hard to tell if there will be any performances worth keeping an eye on. While it seems like an ensemble show a la Lost, the cast looks relatively small. I’ll hold judgement beyond a possible Peli nod.

Falling Skies looks like it might have some pretty great CGI, at least by TV standards.

Up All Night might break into Comedy Series. At the very least, Christina Applegate getting back into the mix would be a welcomed campaign.

Playboy Club‘s sustainability is questionable, and it might be too close to Mad Men to score a Drama nod. But NBC might score big time taking on a show like this. If the show focuses more on the idea of ‘gentleman clubs’ filled with un-gentlemanly men, more on battle of the sexes, and less on that odd murder subplot, it could be a real hum-dinger.

FX’s Wilfred is an Australian transfer, and let’s be honest, the concept is so crazy that no one will know what to think until the episodes start hitting the airwaves. Suburgatory has a Juno-esque snarkiness to it, but the directorial work and the writing might make it a comedy worth tuning in to.

The real winner this season will probably be Smash. Dang does that look good. Three cheers for NBC grabbing a cast like that, and attempting a musical comedy that dares to not pander to the bubble-gum pop culture.

Shows like Alcatraz and Person of Interest will take more than the typical-looking trailers to convince me of award potential. As for Once Upon a Time… that trailer makes it look terrible.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alijah Purdy
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that new show that NBC (?) picked up  (I forget  the name) that stars Maya Rudolph, Christina Applegate, and someone else is sure to be loved by the Emmy’s.

ReplyCopy URL
    Conrado
    Participant
    Topics:

Ok Spencer, let’s see then..

I guess Zoey Deschanel in “New Girl” remains a very strong possibility for me.

I suppose “Person of Interest” could be the mayor breakthrough, yes, it look really silly just watching the trailer, but J.J. Abrams + Michael Emerson should equal something awesome.

And I am very intrigued by “Wilfred”, what will voters (and critics) make out of that show?? I would love it if it becomes a weird little hit with voters like “Flight of the Concords” a few years ago 

I definitely think “Awake” will end up in cancelled after one season.

ReplyCopy URL
    iskolar
    Participant
    Topics:

Lisa Kudrow’s web therapy. She deserve that overdue Lead Actress Comedy Emmy she should have during The Comeback, and a nomination for the last season of Friends.

ReplyCopy URL
    Spenser Davis
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that new show that NBC (?) picked up  (I forget  the name) that stars Maya Rudolph, Christina Applegate, and someone else is sure to be loved by the Emmy’s.

That’s Up All Night, produced by Lorne Michaels. I think that could be a big hit too.

I described Awake to someone, and they thought I was talking about a movie. When I told them that it was a television show, they said, “Oh. How are they going to do that?” We’ll see if you’re right or not about the possible cancellation. It really remains to be seen if the idea is sustainable.

ReplyCopy URL
    Trent
    Topics:

Up All Night is bound to be a hit, they have an all-star cast.

Lead Actress: Christina Applegate

Lead Actor: Will Arnett (long overdue)

Supporting Actress: Maya Rudolph (also long overdue)

Comedy Series

Possibly Comedy Writing

ReplyCopy URL
    Rich Landry
    Participant
    Topics:

My three I am really looking forward to happened to also be the three I think could make it on the emmy radar next year:

1- Up all Night

2- Awake

3- New Girl

Both of the comedy ones had me laugh out loud watching the clips

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

It’ll get no Emmy love, but I’m very excited for Ringer.  I agree about Up All Night.  Great cast, lots of potential for nominations.

I’ll also be checking out Two Broke Girls, if for no other reason than to get to see Kat Dennings on a regular basis.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ryan_Fernand
    Participant
    Topics:

The 3 I am looking forward to the most are Person of Interest, Awake and Alcatraz.

The 3 I think will have the most Emmy Buzz are Smash (I hear the pilot is one of the best of the season and Spielberg is apprently heavily involved), New Girl (Zooey Deschanel seems ready to break into a weak Comedy Actress category), and How To Be a Gentleman (I think comedies will be the only breakouts this season in terms of Emmys but I have been hearing bad things about the Up All Night pilot so I am thinking it’s this one).

ReplyCopy URL
    John Nova
    Topics:

1) Smash – Because I love Debra Messing…
    2) Up All Night – Arnett+Applegate= Can do no wrong (can it?)
    3) New Girl – Zooey Deschanel S2, though I think she is a terrible actress, she is soo friggin’ adorable…

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.