New Shows/Pilots 2012

Home // Forums // Television // New Shows/Pilots 2012

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Tony Ruiz
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t want to start a thread for every new show I watch…so I just thought this might be a good place to put reviews of shows that might not merit their own threads.

For starters… Partners.

I’m going to try and be as kind as I can– only because I respect the talents of all involved.  But this show is just God Awful.  I mean, please pull the plug.  As in, who the hell said yes to this completely unoriginal, uninspired, and completey uninteresting dreck of a show?  There is not a single funny line in this pilot.  And furthermore, you can almnost see the diagram in the lines trying to get to the joke.  These characters are so bland and one dimensional.  And the “I have a heart-on” joke?  Not once but twice in the show?  What the hell are these people thinking?  The characters are either dull or completely annoying.  Michael Urie is really pushing the boundaries of caricature.  He makes Sean Hayes look like a master of subtlety by comparison.  And the guy playing his best friend is as dynamic as a three toed sloth.  The girlfriend is dull.  And Brandon Routh’s character is so blank that it’s amazing that he even registers.  Easily on track to make my “Worst of” list at the end of the year.  Just pathetic. 

BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe you should consider changing the title to New Pilots, New Shows, What New Shows Have You Watched, because even though IT IS a duplicate thread, I also need a place to say how shitty Partners is….

The Pilot is the worst I’ve seen so far and yes, I’m taking Guys With Kids into consideration. There’s really nothing wrong to say about David Krumholtz, but that’s pretty much where the good things stop.

Michael Urie’s character is horrible, like so many reviews have said, and like it was mentioned on the show, there really is no need for anybody to be friends with this guy and you really have wonder what is it about this character that made 1. the Krumholtz character be his best friends for so many years and 2. the Brandon Routh character be in love with him.

I don’t blame any of this on the actual idea of the show, it’s something that could be funny, but the execution is just wrong. The writing is terrible and made Michael Urie’s performance be the bad version of his great acting on Ugly Betty. Sophia Bush is miscast here…or she’s just a bad actress. And Brandon Routh was very bad too thanks to a cheap character that makes him the dumb one. It’s pretty sad that this is where Superman ended up, at least when he was on Chuck he was great, so you know he can act.

I recently watched The Comback’s pilot again and loved Jim Burrows in it trying to handle Valerie Cherish. Thanks to this horrible Pilot, I wish him all the Valerie Cherishes in the world because when it comes to Partners, “After a long day of work….I don’t need to see this”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tony Ruiz
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks Benito…I have changed the title of the thread.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Great reviews so far:
    San Jose Last Resort 100, Mindy Project 88, Nashville 88, Arrow 88
    Newsday Nashville 100 (2), Arrow 100 (2)
    NY Post Go On 100
    SF Chronicle Copper 100
    Uncle Barky Last Resort 91 (2), Copper 91 (2)
    Washington Post Call the Midwife 100, Nashville 100 (3), Mindy Project 91 (2)
    EW Nashville 91 (4)
    Salon Mindy Project 90 (3)
    Wall Street Journal Mindy Project 90 (4)
    TV Guide Last Resort 90 (3)
    The Hollywood Reporter Ben and Kate 90
    Redeye Last Resort 88 (4)
    People Call the Midwife 88 (2)
    USA Today New Normal 88
    Chicago Sun Times New Normal 88 (2, but the average is 60)

ReplyCopy URL
    Paul Vargo
    Participant
    Topics:

Ben and Kate is great. the guy who plays Ben is so a major contender for Comedy actor next year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Spenser Davis
    Participant
    Topics:

Two pilots I’ve seen so far, with spoilers:

Go On – Right out of the gate, let me say that I worry about the longevity of this series. I thought that this show would be about Ryan King (Matthew Perry) and his struggle to open up to the rest of the group. Instead, by the end of the 22 minutes, he’s told them exactly what happened to her, before teaming with the rest of the group members to chase one of those Google Maps cars down the street in medieval garb. It’s a sweet little ending, but it’s one that makes everyone involved seem incredibly happy. Where can the series go from there, I wondered? Will every episode afterwards be about a different “patient,” so that we learn a different sad story (and watch the post-tragedy recovering) each half-hour? Clearly Laura Benanti (fresh off the cancelled “Playboy Club”) is set up as a romantic love interest. It has the opportunity to become a “Community”-like series, with the supporting characters popping out of the screen like their own energetic personalities. I hope it takes that opportunity, so that Perry can get back to a lead role.

The New Normal – Personally, I appreciate when a series takes the idea of “unconventional” families (two male parents, two female parents, one single parent, no parents and a grandma) and reminds us that, at the root of it all, is a basic and yet profound feeling of love. David and Bryan (Justin Bartha and Andrew Rannells, respectively) want to have a child. Goldie (Georgia King) needs money to take care of her daughter and attend law school. Solution: Goldie will serve as their surrogate mother and get a total of 38k for the deed. The wrench in the gears? Goldie’s grandmother Jane (Ellen Barkin), whose bigotry is so blatant that Ryan Murphy seems to be playing a game of Top That, with the first racist remark being bettered by the following one. Barkin’s performance is a lot of fun, but she’s been given a very tough character to sympathize with. A moment near the end of the episode explains some of her supposed hatred for homosexuals, but she’s been such a rough individual up to that point that you, well, can’t really sympathize with her. I laughed more than I thought I would, and I think that most of the cast (juries still out on King) is jumping on the unconvential family bandwagon for the long ride.

ReplyCopy URL
    Spenser Davis
    Participant
    Topics:

Ben and Kate is great. the guy who plays Ben is so a major contender for Comedy actor next year.

I’m not turning to IMDb about this, but I believe that that is the show starring Nat Faxon, who recently won the Oscar for Adapted Screenplay alongside Alexander Payne and [insert third party’s name] for The Descendants. I had heard he was an actor as well. Glad to hear he’s funny.

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

Third party’s name is Jim Rash. He plays Dean Pelton on Community.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel people will start treating Nat Faxon like a new actor when he’s really been everywhere. I never knew his name but when Jim Rash and some guy named “Nat Faxon” started showing up as writers of The Descendants, I looked up his name and that face was just instantly recognizable.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

THE NEIGHBORS

It’s obviously like 3rd Rock but in this case everybody knows they’re aliens. A bit of Stepford Wives too.

It still has some ideas that don’t really make it look like it’s a copy of that show, but the acting is just horrible, not to mention that whoever directed this pilot did a very bad job. Aside from Jamie Gertz and to some extent the guy from Mad Men, everybody sucked. You can’t just make a show with one good lead and two pretty bad second leads, the pair playing the alien husband and wife were just wrong. And their kid was even worse. They crossed the veeeeery fine line between acting like a typical cheesy alien and bad acting.

It really shows how brilliant the four/aliens actors on 3rd Rock were, because again, this idea isn’t that bad. They should’ve taken a look at Galaxy Quest too.

I will watch another episode because I’d like to know where they are going to take the show now that the introduction is done, but I don’t see how this can last with such a horrible cast. I want Happy Endings back on this time slot, this doesn’t belong on wednesdays, it should’ve gone to where Malibu Country and Last Man Standing are.

ReplyCopy URL
    blueprint
    Participant
    Topics:

^This was the most horrible thing I’ve seen this season so far. Wasted 20 minutes of my life. Jami Gertz is an alright actress, but she cannot carry the whole weight of a show on her shoulders alone.

ReplyCopy URL
    blueprint
    Participant
    Topics:

^This was the most horrible thing I’ve seen this season so far. Wasted 20 minutes of my life. Jami Gertz is an alright actress, but she cannot carry the whole weight of a show on her shoulders alone.

ReplyCopy URL
    Raylan
    Topics:

Shows I Enjoyed:
    Ben & Kate
    Elementary
    Last Resort
    The New Normal
    Go On 
    Mindy Project

and the rest of the new shows i havent bothered to check them out because they don’t look good and i wouldn’t wanna waste my time.

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

Pilot grades (updating):

(CBS): B

(NBC): C-  —  canceled

(ABC): C-

(NBC): D

(FOX): D

(CBS): —  canceled

(CBS): F

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

MADE IN JERSEY

I didn’t think it was bad at all. But I’m not interested, it’s very normal, very “wow is she really this good AND this young”, “is she really a lawyah?”, “I’m blonde, pretty and tall, why is there somebody suddenly better than me?”. It’s like Legally Blonde after the first movie and Elle ended up like a little Alicia Florrick with a fake Jersey accent and hair like Teresa from Real Housewives.

The girl is very talented and she can surely carry this show, but the accent is hilarious. Donna Murphy, Kyle McLachlan and Pablo Schreiber deserve better.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
Reply To: New Shows/Pilots 2012

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.