March 10, 2015 at 6:26 pm #343500
Which season do you prefer?
I was under the impression that most enjoyed season 2 more, but I vastly prefer season 1. It was an outstanding narrative; the structure with Piper as the backbone, strong character development, compelling conflicts, all of which they threw away in season 2. Without a central figure to ground the storytelling, season 2 felt directionless. The characterization was bizarre and out of left field with just about everyone. And the writing itself was rather silly at times. (Vee is the silliest of silly villain characters.) I really hope season 3 raises the bar back to season 1’s quality.
It’s sad that it lost Comedy Series last year for season 1, because it’s near-perfect season. And now, Orange probably has a better chance to win this year than last, which is even sadder because season 2 is so much less deserving. Hopefully Veep delivers with season 4, and is the show that dethrones Modern Family, if that were to happen.March 10, 2015 at 7:24 pm #343502
I said this back on the thread for season 2, but I also much preferred season 1 for multiple reasons.
1. Vee was the worst. Literally the worst. And I don’t mean that in a good way. She was so cartoonishly evil with no real clear motivations or dimensions, and it just became exhausting waiting for her to go away and waiting for the characters to figure out how full of shit she was
2. After bumping her up to series regular they then completely wasted Pennsatucky. Now that was a great villain, someone who was evil but fun to watch.
3. Imo adding romantic drama between best friends is like one of the laziest ways to add tension to a show, and this season did it not once, but twice, with Pussey and Taystee and Larry and Polly. I hated both those storylines (although I will admit it was nice getting more screentime for Taystee and Pussey)
4. Piper and Alex are the worst. Alex is an awful person who has screwed Piper over SO MANY TIMES, are we still supposed to root for them to be together? I don’t understand how people can bitch about Larry, who also is not great, but then Alex is right there, maybe being slightly more entertaining to watch but an AWUL person both in general and specifically to piper
There were probably more, idk i watched it forever ago. Some things were nice, with like i said more attention for pussey and taystee, but also rosa and gloria. But overall yea, big step down from season 1, which I already only liked, not loved.March 10, 2015 at 7:49 pm #343503
Season 1 was great, season 2 was amazing, so I prefer season 2. I don’t like the characters of Alex and Larry and I think the show could be jut fine without them, I was really happy Laura Prepon was only in a few episodes in the second season, and Im glad Jason Bggs wont be in the third season. Lorraine Touissant was a better villain than Pennsatucky and stole every scene she was in, Taryn Manning was underused the second season but Im fine with that, because it allowed Vee to be the evil charcter season 2, so overall both seasons were great but my favourite is season 2.March 10, 2015 at 8:23 pm #343504
1. I liked Vee early on, but her story dragged on for too long. Dana and Bennett’s story didn’t improve either; I just don’t really care about what happens to them at this point. Piper being downgraded wasn’t too big of an issue, I’m glad that more minor characters got a spotlight on them.March 11, 2015 at 11:00 am #343505
After several light and harmless episodes, the first season became super compelling when it became a full drama and everything was on track for an amazing second season with “Thirsty Bird”, but then all of that faded as the show fleshed out the characters that were too boring to flesh out in the first season, we got lame romantic melodrama and a villain with potential that was never fully realized.
When everyone agrees that the show did not do right by its main character (Piper) or its breakout character (Crazy Eyes) in its second season, I am not sure how anyone can stand behind it as superior or even not disappointing.March 11, 2015 at 11:16 am #343506
Season 1. More comedic (relatively) and memorable.March 11, 2015 at 12:06 pm #343507
You should create a poll about it!
When I first watching the first episodes of the series I was like ”Okeyy, so this is the show everyone was talking about?” It was not bad but the characters were so cartonish and unrealistic that it reminded of me Glee which I really dislike. But I kept watching somehow, just to see where it goes
I’m not going to claim that s2 was better than s1 but maybe because I got used to the characters or maybe Alex and Piper was no longer in the main storyline or maybe Vee was moore realistic and understanable and more well-acted villain than Pennsatucky, I like season 2 more and the whole season felt like more packaged to me and ovv THE season finale!!!!