Home Forums Television Outstanding Animated Program (2015)

Outstanding Animated Program (2015)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

This will be official thread of one of my favourite Emmy categories, Outstanding Animated Program (An Hour or Less).

I love animation, whether it is movies or television, but it seems that television animation more so than film gets an unnecessarily bad wrap, especially considering that a lot of animated shows are very good. I already manage three individual threads for The Simpsons, Family Guy and American Dad!, but I was just thinking that I should get a jump on this category before the Emmys get in.

So which episodes of animated shows do you think have a shot at this category? Which episodes of these shows have yet to air that you are getting excited for? Speak about it in this thread.

PREDICTIONS [JANUARY 23RD, 2015]

Archer (TBA)
    Bob’s Burgers (TBA)
    Family Guy “The Simpsons Guy”
    The Legend of Korra “Day of the Colossus/The Last Stand”
    The Simpsons “The Man Who Came to Be Dinner” 

Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I changed the year in the thread title.

If “The Simpsons Guy” is the best that Family Guy has to offer this year, they do not deserve a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

Sadly I do not see Legend of Korra finally making it even though I love the show and think it should be the winner. With South Park it was a great season and they should easily get in but I have no idea what episode they would pick probably the finale for me since it ties up the entire season’s arc. The Simpsons missing was unexpected and I think possibly they might continue to be snubbed but I wouldn’t be mad at that if shows like Archer and Bob’s Burgers get the nominations. Family Guy also does not deserve to be nominated. I feel BoJack Horseman has a chance to get nominated. I would hope American Dad! and The Awesomes have chances but really I would be surprised if the same shows are nominated as last year (minus Futurama).

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

The Simpsons and Family Guy probably won’t get noms this year. Both are going through weak seasons (even for old show standards), certainly not enough to break through. Archer, Bob’s Burgers, Korra, South Park and a surprise kid’s entry are my bets. BoJack has a chance, but it might be too weird for them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Eng
    Participant
    Topics:

If Legend of Korra somehow sneaks in, I hope their submission is Korra Alone. It is by far the best episode that aired during the eligibility period (both Season 3 and Season 4), is focused on one storyline, and is relatively self contained which will make it easy to understand for first time watchers. Sadly, the last 5 minutes of the finale (excellent overall, but the final scene didn’t feel completely earned in the way Avatar’s ending actually did) and the buzz that was generated will make it the likely choice. The problem is that the finale will not resonate wirh anyone who hasn’t watched the series, as there are several character/story payoffs that will only register if you have watched from the beginning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s really weird because personally I think that there are multiple episodes The Simpsons could choose from this year, even though it’s an overall kinda weak season. The Treehouse of Horror, Futurama crossover, “The Man Who Came to Be Dinner” or “Bart’s New Friend” are all so far very legitimate choices. Personally, I loved “The Simpsons Guy” even though the rest of the season has been kinda meh. If FG finally broke the mold last year of always submitting in Comedy Series and choosing the more realistic Animated Program, and since “The Simpsons Guy” did well with the critics and the ratings, then I could totally see it happening. I forgot to include BoJack Horseman. I haven’t seen the show yet, but the praise it got sounded like a very real possibility. I am not the biggest fan of Archer or Bob’s Burgers, but they seem the most locked in for nominations at this current moment, and I really wish my favourite animated show American Dad! could get a surprise nomination since its move to TBS has made the show even better than ever, but so far there really hasn’t been an episode that meritted a nomination. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

I disagree that The Simpsons is having a weak season – they’re having their best one is years IMO. But if you look at their history, you will see how they submit when they succeed, and when they fail. They almosts always succeed with emotionally resonant episodes with either a social message or a heartfelt story, and they have lost several times with gimmicky episodes. That’s why I think this season will be very tricky, because we’ve had a lot of gimmicky episodes this season, but some very good emotional episodes as well.

I Won’t Be Home for Christmas is a great episode that has a unique marriage crisis story in it, and it isn’t caustic or bitter, and the characters are very likable. It will probably make voters feel nostalgic for their families. If the episode wasn’t set around Christmas, it would be a slam-dunk. “Blazed and Confused” is my personal favorite episode of the season – I am not into THOH or the gimmicky episodes, so this one had the beautiful visual design crossed with the quirky humor. I doubt they’ll go for that episode, but I would.

A lot of the season depends on what is coming up – Walking Big and Tall looks to be an awesome episode about town pride and celebration, and Pharrell is in the episode, so there will be singing as well.

But the glaring snub still hurts from last year, and sadly it can happen again…

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

While I agree that the snub last year was particularly shocking, you must keep in mind that every other year The Simpsons has been in. I would put money down that the snub was a one-time thing, simply due to the competition. 

I guess we’ll have to wait and see how for the rest of the episodes. This season is going pretty good so far with a lot of great choices, and who knows, maybe there will be an episode later on down the line that will be out-of-the-box great.

Side-Note: I didn’t know Pharrell Williams was appearing in “Walking Big & Tall”. That’s exciting! 

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

Only the most diehard Simpson fanatics think this season has been good. Some of the episodes you guys mentioned, like The Man Who Came To Be Dinner and Blazed and Confused are quite awful (the former might even be one of the show’s absolute worst moments). The Futurama crossover episode has been the only positive highlight of a terrible season, and it’s in part because it explores people’s affection for Futurama. I don’t buy that The Simpsons got snubbed as a fluke. I think the (deserved) horrible reputation the latter seasons get has finally caught up with the Emmys.

As for Family Guy, if they couldn’t come back in better-ish seasons, there’s no way they come back this year. Even “The Simpsons Guy” being a hit in the ratings won’t be enough, as even FG fans tend to find that episode pretty bad. 

This category is also rarely completely dominated by adult shows in the past few years or so, and with Archer, South Park and Bob Burger’s being all very likely to lock status of nominees, I think it’s much more likely two children’s shows get in over two comedy ones that are way past their prime. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

I will admit that The Simpsons has seen better days. It is absolutely true that they treading familiar ground now in Season 26, however I do not agree that the show is completely horrible. I don’t really understand how people say that Seasons 11 through to now are crap because honestly, I think they are still pretty funny. I was raised watching seasons 13-18 and I thought those were the most hilarious things in the world.

And here’s a question: If you think the show isn’t good anymore, why watch it? 

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

Every season has two or maybe three good-to-excellent episodes in a season. In better latter day season like 23 was it goes from absolutely awful to reasonably good to even genuinely great. It has not been the case this season.  And it has been so bad that, yeah, I’m actually considering giving up on it for good, as, like most fans, I only watch it out of habit, like SNL fans or people who watch Letterman.

I also think people who defend it simplify the criticism. It’s obvious the writers have stopped giving a crap about doing full seasons, and just focus on three or four episodes each season and just coast on familiar jokes and storylines or gimmicks like that stupid rag episode and this year’s space episode to compensate for the lack of direction. But three or four decent episodes is not good enough for a show that used to produce classics on a weekly basis for many years in its creative prime. Hell, it’s not even that current Simpsons is not good enough compared to their past. It’s just not good anymore compared to whatever that is good on TV right now.

I doubt it comes back to Animated Program, especially as once a show leaves this category it is very hard to come back (unless it’s a Futurama type of situation, but that’s a different case), and The Simpsons are no exception to this rule. They may be a cultural institution, but one that couldn’t be any more distant from their glory days, and it’s not like the show is seeing a ressurgence in buzz, acclaim or popularity. The Emmys are usually done with every show, why would it be different for The Simpsons? If anything as a fan, I don’t want to just say everything is great. Fans should only stop the criticism if they don’t they don’t care anymore, or else we are just cutting it slack for affection that clouds the judgement. As a huge Simpsons fan, I sincerely hope they get snubbed again (and I think the snub is inevitable at this point). Maybe after two years of snubs the writers will get their shit together and have a wake-up call. But they probably won’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

To be perfectly honest, this season is really dull. I mean, a few episodes made me laugh lots, but most of the episodes are bland and forgettable. I look at the series through rose-coloured glasses because I have been a fan for so long. I think that showrunner Al Jean thinks the show is still reasonably good, and maybe the writers kinda don’t care, but it seems like they give their damnedst with the episodes they write according to the interviews they give. I appreciate your honesty, and even the fact that you may be smarter of a fan than me. You want to see put the show you love out of its misery, and I want to keep on life support. 

Maybe the snub is a sign that the Emmys have caught on to how they think the show is kinda trashy now, but I don’t think so. Again, they nominated it every year since Season 6, I believe, and only NOW they decide to snub it? I guess we’ll have to wait and see, of course.

My personal question is that because The Simpsons has been going this long, how the hell are they going to end it? I mean, there’s like a gazillion characters with a gazillion character story arcs, how could they end everything and how could they end it on a satisfying conclusion? I have always said that the final episode would be 2 hours long, have like 300 guest stars, and be like an event that is advertised every-fucking-where and that it would probably break the all-time ratings record previously set by M*A*S*H, although that last goal sounds pretty ambitious.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

“The Book of Joe” episode from Family guy and the simpsons cros over were pretty funny. I can’t think of any other animated episdes that have made me laugh besides those two so far.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

This past week’s Archer episode, “The Archer Sanction”, was very strong and the animation (including a full-scale avalanche) was pretty spectacular.

“The target is someone from one of the Axis powers!”

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Bombshell time: I don’t like Archer. I watched one episode, and I didn’t laugh once. I just stared at the screen thinking “WTF” every five seconds.

I realize this is an unpopular opinion, especially since I am a fan of most other adult-oriented animated shows, but I was just never a fan. So I will take your word for it.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
Reply To: Outstanding Animated Program (2015)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.