Outstanding Drama Series 2017

Home // Forums // Television // Outstanding Drama Series 2017

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
Created
Profile photo of jacob gitlin
4 months ago
Last Reply
Profile photo of kancov
4 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Profile photo of Hunterbergfeld
Profile photo of pulp50
  • Profile photo of jacob gitlinjacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t see this topic yet and with the prediction center now open I thought I would open the discussion.

A few thoughts:

-Will all four new contenders (Westworld, Stranger Things, The Crown, This Is Us) make it into the series lineup? Can any other new show shake up the race?

-Can Mr. Robot hold on after some harsh criticism for season two?

-I saw that The Young Pope was listed as drama series, although HBO has described it as a limited series. Do we have confirmation it is submitting in drama?

Profile photo of HunterbergfeldHunterbergfeld
    Participant
    Topics:

THR said HBO ordered a season 2 of the young pope

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of CourtneyCourtney
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m so excited for this category this year because it’s so up in the air. I think it would be great if This is Us, The Crown, Stranger Things, and Westworld all made it in just because I love the freshness of it all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of djdj
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes, I think those 4 new contenders all make it in, and I don’t forsee any other new contenders emerging in the next couple of months.

Mr. Robot will not be able to hold on since it lost all of its buzz in S2. Malek still gets in though.

The Young Pope was renewed for a second season, so it’s competing in Drama. Only possible noms would be Law in Lead Actor and Sorrentino in directing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of moviefan61794moviefan61794
    Participant
    Topics:

I have all four newbies in with “The Americans,” “Better Call Saul” and “House of Cards.” I can’t make a good enough argument at this point for any of the four new shows to not make it in, “Mr. Robot” and “Homeland” don’t have enough buzz to make it back in, and I don’t have enough faith that “OITNB” will make a comeback.

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

I have all four newbies in with “The Americans,” “Better Call Saul” and “House of Cards.” I can’t make a good enough argument at this point for any of the four new shows to not make it in, “Mr. Robot” and “Homeland” don’t have enough buzz to make it back in, and I don’t have enough faith that “OITNB” will make a comeback.

after the most recent Homeland episode, it DEFINITELY has enough buzz to make it back.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of jacob gitlinjacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

I have the same but with Mr. Robot instead of House of Cards which probably isn’t smart. I just think that there is a lack of passion for House of Cards and it feels like it has reached the point in its run where it falls off whereas one and done series nominees on the drama side are pretty few and far between. The last one I can think of was Big Love which was a bizarre situation all around so I don’t think it quite matches up to Mr. Robot’s trajectory – plus Mr. Robot netted a few wins including a major acting win. It’s definitely on the edge, though – if GOT were still in the race I may have felt more comfortable leaving it off.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of Joejf123
    Participant
    Topics:

The Crown, Stranger Things and Westworld are locks. And This is Us is a very likely nominee. I think The Americans and Better Call Saul are locks to return if the reception for both shows stays the same (and based off the early buzz for The Americans S5, it is as good). And House of Cards could get snubbed if this season isn’t as good, because it has already lost the support of the writing, directing, and the majority of the technical branches

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of John KubicekJohn-K
    Participant
    Topics:

House of Cards is always hard because it has zero buzz for 11 months out of the year, but when it comes back it will have all the buzz. And if the plot involves attempting to take down an evil, corrupt president, you know the voters will eat it up.

As of now I can see Westworld, The Crown, Stranger Things, This Is Us, The Americans, Better Call Saul and House of Cards as the nominees. But Homeland and Mr. Robot are obviously the strongest next contenders. As for the 10th slot, I’d go with OITNB or, in a surprise twist, The Leftovers. It’s kind of like The Americans when it comes to critical love vs. no Emmy respect, and with the timing and this being the final season, it will be the last and only time for Emmy voters to recognize it. The only difference is that it has ZERO nominations for its first two seasons.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of Zacharyzkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

I will go with the speculative majority at this point and say the 4 Freshies, House of Cards (because it got 8 acting nods for its bad season), Better Call Saul, and The Americans. Homeland could get in, but I don’t forsee Mr. Robot getting in again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of Leandrio Plaatjiesleothescorpio
    Participant
    Topics:

End of Feb predictions:

1. The Americans
    2. The Crown
    3. Westworld
    4. Better Call Saul
    5. Stranger Things
    6. This Is Us
    7. House of Cards

In a perfect world: Sense8

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw in the slug fest that Hulu hired one of the best campaigners in the business. I’m thinking it might be smart to predict The Handmaidens tale if it is even a little good and acting nominations for The Path. I’m thinking Michelle Monnoghan will shock with a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of RileyRiley
    Participant
    Topics:

The Emmys are sometimes good about dropping shows when they suck.  But just how much does House of Cards season 5 suck?  Is it Dexter season 6 bad or just Dexter season 5 bad?  Both Dexter and House of Cards scored their most nominations to date for season 4 and both delivered their worst seasons to date with 5.  But the Emmys kept Dexter on for one more year and then dropped it when it completely went to shit with 6.  (Sadly, they did not bring it back when it returned to form with 7.)  Is House of Cards season 5 as bad as Homeland season 3 and 24 season 6?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile photo of forwardswillforwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

As of right now I see it like this:

Locks:
    – Stranger Things
    – Westworld
    – The Crown
    – Better Call Saul
    – The Americans

Likely but undetermined network so you never know:
    – The Handmaid’s Tale

Fighting it out:
    – House of Cards (if they go safe)
    – The Leftovers (if they listen to hype ala The Americans last year)

Possible but likely overestimated:
    – This is Us

If they go really safe:
    – Homeland

FYC: The Crown, Mom and AHS: Roanoke for Gold Derby TV Awards

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

I really want to replace House of Cards but I don’t know. This year is really competitive so maybe it’s easier to drop it. I have Stranger Things, Westworld, and the crown in for sure. Next I have Better Call Saul, and I The handmaids Tale. In sixth place I hesitantly have The Americans, only because it won WGA. So should I place House of Cards in seventh? What are my alternatives?

Homeland is reliable, but once again, this year is crazy competitive, so maybe they drop it this year.

The Leftovers would be a dream, but realistically I don’t see it getting in, especially with all of this competition.

Orange is the New Black definatley has a passion vote and a history with the Emmys so I’s predict it before the Leftovers.

Ray Donovan is on the rise and appeals to the old fashion voter.

Mr. Robot could suprise since it maintained guild support.

13 Reasons Why was a huge hit. Everybody watched it. So many people watched it so it would make since if enough people marked it in their top 10. You know what, I think I just convinced myself to predict it.

This is Us has passion, but it missed the nomination for every main prize at every guild.

Any other possible surpises that could get in over House of Cards? Legion? American Gods? I’m gonna go with 13 Reasons Why for now.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
Reply To: Outstanding Drama Series 2017

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.