Home Forums Television Outstanding Drama Series 2017

Outstanding Drama Series 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 144 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
  • forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

I personally find a good message in it: don’t be rude to others, you don’t know what might their reactions be. We are all responsible for each other.

This is what irritated me most about the show. With half the people it was asking for them not to be human because all they’d done was make easy teenage mistakes (Jessica, Zach and Clay in particular). Whilst obviously there were some deserving tapes, the rest encourage a view that if someone does anything tiny that you might not like that you have the entitlement to ruin their life because you couldn’t handle it.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s move on. I don’t think that this show negative effects anyone.

I think that’s just being ignorant, but whatever.

ReplyCopy URL
    JB
    Participant
    Topics:

Current Predictions:

1. The Crown
    2. This is Us
    3. Stranger Things
    4. House of Cards
    5. The Handmaid’s Tale
    6. The Americans
    7. Better Call Saul
    ~
    8. Homeland
    9. Westworld
    10. The Good Fight

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

Current Predictions: 1. The Crown 2. This is Us 3. Stranger Things 4. House of Cards 5. The Handmaid’s Tale 6. The Americans 7. Better Call Saul ~ 8. Homeland 9. Westworld 10. The Good Fight

Westworld at 9? Gotta ask why that isn’t higher

ReplyCopy URL
    JB
    Participant
    Topics:

Current Predictions: 1. The Crown 2. This is Us 3. Stranger Things 4. House of Cards 5. The Handmaid’s Tale 6. The Americans 7. Better Call Saul ~ 8. Homeland 9. Westworld 10. The Good Fight

Westworld at 9? Gotta ask why that isn’t higher

I think “Westworld” is far more divisive that people are willing to admit. I know lots of people (and voters) who did not care for it at all despite appreciating it’s technical/production qualities… It will certainly earn a ton of well deserved creative noms and noms for Thandie Newton (brilliant) and Jeffrey Wright. However, I don’t see the overall Emmy voting body fawning over it as much as the blogs and internet. … It often seems some people on these boards believe a lot of built up hype/buzz that isn’t actually real… Now, I could be completely wrong about “Westworld” when the noms come out and too bad for me. But we’ll see… I just feel like the pedigree and history of the other vet shows (HOC, Better Call Saul, Americans) and the uniform praise for three newer ones (Crown, Stranger Things, This is Us) will land them all nods. The one I’m more questioning is “Handmaids”. If people actually watch it, it’s in, but it is hard for many to watch…. And “Homeland” you can never count out.

ReplyCopy URL
    boss
    Participant
    Topics:

LOCKS:

Stranger Things, Westworld, The Crown, This Is Us, The Americans, Better Call Saul

FIGHTING FOR THE LAST SPOT:

House of Cards, The Handmaid’s Tale

SURPRISE:

Orange is the New Black, The Leftovers

I really need help with the last spot. The Handmaid’s Tale has critical acclaim but Hulu has never gotten a major nomination. Last year, Aaron Paul could have easily get a nomination for The Path but he did not. Even though, Moss is a sure contender at lead actress. I also don’t see getting an other major nomination. I’m even skeptical about a writing nomination. Then, there is House of Cards. Some people seemed to like this season. There is no consensus that this season sucked, so it may  maintain its spot. Plus, had there been a year which five new shows were nominated?

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

The Handmaid’s Tale has critical acclaim but Hulu has never gotten a major nomination

Thats what people said about Mr. Robot and USA  last Year. Thats what theY said about Mad Men and AMC. Moss made Top of the Lake happen on Sundance.

Last year, Aaron Paul could have easily get a nomination for The Path but he did not.

The Path didn’t have near the acclaim, buzz, or prestige that the Handmaid’s tale has. THT is based off a classic novel, has one of the highest metacritic scores for a debut series EVER, and waY more people talk about it than The Path.

Then, there is House of Cards. Some people seemed to like this season. There is no consensus that this season sucked

It has a 60 on metacritic.

Plus, had there been a year which five new shows were nominated?

ComedY had a huge shake up back in 2009.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

The Americans
    Better Call Saul
    The Crown
    House Of Cards
    Stranger Things
    This Is Us
    Westworld

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I have…

The Americans
    Better Call Saul
    The Crown
    Homeland
    House of Cards
    Stranger Things
    This Is Us

OSCAR FLASHBACK: 20 Years of Streep (2009) – Julie & Julia

ReplyCopy URL
    Turd Ferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

The Americans
    Better Call Saul
    The Crown
    The Leftovers
    Mr. Robot
    Stranger Things
    Westworld

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Okay so I’ve changed my mind about Westworld being a lock…

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

That suicide scene was definitely triggering for a lot of people whether you want to admit it or not.

You just simply dislike the show and find the negative message in it. I personally find a good message in it: don’t be rude to others, you don’t know what might their reactions be. We are all responsible for each other.

I’ve heard and seen stories of teens harming themselves because of the show and one boy killed himself in honor of the damn show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

That ain’t the show’s fault. If I blow myself up with a grenade to honor Bruno Mars is that Mars’ fault? Hell no! It’s mine cuz that means I’m damn crazy!

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

That ain’t the show’s fault. If I blow myself up with a grenade to honor Bruno Mars is that Mars’ fault? Hell no! It’s mine cuz that means I’m damn crazy!

That’s not the same thing. You don’t understand how triggers work. Ultimately you can’t blame the show, but there’s no doubt Hannah’s actions won’t be impressionable to a lot of people.

ReplyCopy URL
    LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

At its core it’s a bad comparison. There is no evidence that listening to a song about doing something drastic for love will mean you’ll kill yourself. But there is already a wealth of psychiatric evidence that fictional and nonfictional depictions of suicide lead to increased suicide rates. This evidence was presented to the showmakers and they eschewed the advice of suicide prevention EXPERTS because as far as I can tell one of the writers was dissuaded from his own suicidal episode by remembering a story of how painfully someone else’s suicide attempt backfired. Even if it worked it’s still anecdotal evidence that the depiction would be good because it would dissuade kids who think suicide can be beautiful and it never is. Even though Evelyn McHale’s suicide was known as exactly that, but beside the point.

My issue is that, the writer’s personal story aside, not every suicidal person is drawn to suicide because they want to leave this beautiful corpse after they “fade away.” Speaking as someone who was suicidal I just wanted life to stop abruptly. I and presumably many others didn’t care how it happened, if everyone cared how it happened then so many men wouldn’t blow their brains out knowing that that will ostensibly leave an ugly corpse. So at its core the exact reason they went through with this controversial depiction might not have meant anything to anyone.

There are better ways to dissuade kids from committing suicide. Granted I still have a problem with the message of the show but that’s beside the point. The writers and showmakers knew and had concrete, researched, psychiatric evidence that they were doing something against expert advice, something that said experts especially warned against doing because the show was aimed at a younger demographic with malleable brains that won’t complete impulse control and long-term planning for another 10 years, and they still went through with it. THAT’S the issue.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 144 total)
Reply To: Outstanding Drama Series 2017

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.