Home Forums Television Outstanding Drama Series 2017

Outstanding Drama Series 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 144 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
pulp50
kancov
Teridax
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

Don’t blame the bread knife, blame the crazy ass stabber

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

At its core it’s a bad comparison. There is no evidence that listening to a song about doing something drastic for love will mean you’ll kill yourself. But there is already a wealth of psychiatric evidence that fictional and nonfictional depictions of suicide lead to increased suicide rates. This evidence was presented to the showmakers and they eschewed the advice of suicide prevention EXPERTS because as far as I can tell one of the writers was dissuaded from his own suicidal episode by remembering a story of how painfully someone else’s suicide attempt backfired. Even if it worked it’s still anecdotal evidence that the depiction would be good because it would dissuade kids who think suicide can be beautiful and it never is. Even though Evelyn McHale’s suicide was known as exactly that, but beside the point.

My issue is that, the writer’s personal story aside, not every suicidal person is drawn to suicide because they want to leave this beautiful corpse after they “fade away.” Speaking as someone who was suicidal I just wanted life to stop abruptly. I and presumably many others didn’t care how it happened, if everyone cared how it happened then so many men wouldn’t blow their brains out knowing that that will ostensibly leave an ugly corpse. So at its core the exact reason they went through with this controversial depiction might not have meant anything to anyone.

There are better ways to dissuade kids from committing suicide. Granted I still have a problem with the message of the show but that’s beside the point. The writers and showmakers knew and had concrete, researched, psychiatric evidence that they were doing something against expert advice, something that said experts especially warned against doing because the show was aimed at a younger demographic with malleable brains that won’t complete impulse control and long-term planning for another 10 years, and they still went through with it. THAT’S the issue.

I agree completely … They should have thought about all this before making the show

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AndrewsArt

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t blame the bread knife, blame the crazy ass stabber

Who exactly are you blaming in this situation?

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not trying to call anyone out by say this, but I feel like if you haven’t personally dealt with suicidal thoughts, or are some kind of mental health professionals, then you really don’t get to have an opinion on whether this show is potentially harmful or not.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Fuck. I give in. This is Us has only gained more momentum since guilds. But I won’t put it higher than 7th place. Shit I hope I’m wrong. The experts calling it a lock to win are so annoying. I just want it to be snubbed to see their reaction tbh. I’m still not confident in it though. And it’s utterly ridiculous that people think it’ll get three guest actor noms. Please… 3 guest actors my ass.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

Right now I have

Stranger Things
    The Crown
    Westworld
    Better Call Saul
    The Americans
    The Handmaid’s Tale
    House of Cards

This Is Us

I don’t see them snubbing House of Cards just yet and The Handmaid’s Tale is just getting bigger and bigger. Maybe Westworld and the Crown are being overestimated but I’m fairly confident in them getting nominated. The Americans getting snubbed wouldn’t be that surprising because it’s very possible it barely got in last year, still once they embrace a show, more often than not they embrace it further so I’m not about to predict it being snubbed. This Is Us still very much feels like an Empire situation to me.

ReplyCopy URL
    SayMyName
    Participant
    Topics:

Once again, and for the last time, based on that, all devastating acts on TV or film can be repeatable. Whether it’s about suicide, murder or anything else. I’m not sure that it’s fair criticism that 13 Reasons Why has presented the suicide issue wrongly. It has represented it realistically. This show is not for 10-year-old kids either. As a parent you should be able to explain your 16-year-old about the situation, but you shouldn’t let her watch it if she’s younger and immature. You are responsible for what your child is watching on TV or film. As and adult, you are even more responsible for your actions. Suicidal people do not kill themselves because they watch a show about suicidal teenagers. They can kill themselves because it is summer, or because happy couples run on the street, or they do not have friends, they are screwed in their jobs. In a word: for everything. They do not need 13 reasons for them to do that. This story is about this particular girl, who was raped and screwed over. She tried professional and friendly help, but didn’t get neither. That’s why she killed herself. An absolutely important message: take every ‘cry for help’ seriously. I’m resting my case here.

ReplyCopy URL
    CobraSolth
    Participant
    Topics:

It might be helpful to read the literature that you’re linking to and analyze it, as opposed to taking it at face value. The lines drawn between the impact of media (and this summary article focuses mostly on non-fiction reporting of suicides) and increased suicides is tenuous. Correlation =/= causation as exemplified by an excerpt from the article you just posted.

This is straight from the article “In a more recent study, 63 individuals who attempted suicide in Taipei, Taiwan, following the suicide of a young female pop singer were assessed for exposure to media reporting about her death. Forty-three (68 percent) respondents had been exposed to the media reporting, of whom 37 percent reported that the media stories influenced their suicide attempts.” The sample size for this study is extremely small, but besides that salient point it proves that exposure to media (in this case the news report of suicide) did not influence over half of the individuals who attempted suicide.

Just because there was an increase in reporting about a teen idol’s suicide and an increase in suicides at the same time do not mean they are related. Of the 63 individuals involved in the study only 15 were influence by the media, but the way the numbers are presented, the article would have you believe that the number is much higher.

As someone who also suffers from depression and has had suicidal thoughts I thought that the series was tasteful, and most importantly, did not shy away from the harsh consequences of suicide.

ReplyCopy URL
    kancov
    Participant
    Topics:

Currently I have:

1. Stranger Things
    I wouldn’t be happy at all if it wins, but it’s happening
    2. The Crown
    I had it at #1 for so long, so now one place lower
    3. The Americans
    I’m probably overestimating it, but Westworld is kinda forgotten.
    4. Westworld
    Mostly because it’s HBO and it has big production value.
    5. Better Call Saul
    If voters are watching, it should be higher.
    6. House of Cards
    I have it since day one, I doubt it’s leaving.
    7. The Handmaid’s Tale
    I switched often between Homeland and Mr. Robot, since I was skeptical about so many shows being added, but after the TCA nominations, I think it can make it. About This Is Us, I’ve been saying for a long time it won’t be nominated and I’m not changing it. I’d rather be surprised.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco B.
    Participant
    Topics:

This category is so uncertain now and I love it. How are you ranking the shows, according to their chances of winning?

TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE
    7 – House of cards

EXTREMELY UNLIKELY
    6 – Better Call Saul (Banks instead of McKean = they’re not really watching the show, still it got nominated for both directing and writing despite bad submissions and a double nomination in editing)

POSSIBLE
    5 – Westworld (a ton of nominations, both writing and directing and editing. Why so low than? Because it doesn’t sound like the kind of show the Emmy fell for. They admire it though)
    4 – The Crown (underperformed with the nominations, still got the most important ones. And it seems more Emmy-friendly)
    3 – The Handmaid’s Tale (overperformed with the nominations, also very acclaimed. Is it popular enough?)
    2 – This Is Us (extremely popular, good number of nominations, less well received than others though and it missed directing and writing)
    1 – Stranger Things, my current choice (the biggest cultural phenomenon of the seven nominees, 18 nominations including writing, directing and editing. Accessible and a win would make Emmy voters seem very cool)

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

EXTREMELY UNLIKELY 6 – Better Call Saul (Banks instead of McKean = they’re not really watching the show, still it got nominated for both directing and writing despite bad submissions and a double nomination in editing)

The actors branch is the only major branch that doesn’t have its back. I wouldn’t count it out completely. Sure the actors are the most important but all the other branches support in. I have it in fifth after the Crown and before This is Us. I basically agree with your placement but I think anybody could win but House of Cards.

ReplyCopy URL
    Turd Ferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m sorry, but This is Us has no shot. No Writing or Directing noms means it cannot win. Better Call Saul was able to overcome vote splitting unlike This is Us.
    Ranking:
    1. Stranger Things
    2. Westworld
    3. The Handmaid’s Tale
    4. The Crown
    5. Better Call Saul

6. This is Us
    7. House of Cards

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I was having a hard time taking Handmaid’s Tale seriously as a candidate to win because of Hulu, but then I remembered Mad Men and AMC.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

Idk about counting out this is us because of writing and directing. Voters may have had a harder time rallying around an episode if they loved several of the submissions. Chicanery was clearly BCS’s best episode, so they may have been more enthusiastic about this is us as a whole. The directing nom for BCS was just a Gilligan name check.

ReplyCopy URL
    boss
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m pretty sure that This Is Us would be present in writing and directing, if it had only one submission. Though, it is not the only one that over-performed, I also don’t see Hulu winning earlier than Netflix.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 144 total)
Reply To: Outstanding Drama Series 2017

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.