Home Forums Television Predict the winners – 2017 Golden Globe TV Awards

Predict the winners – 2017 Golden Globe TV Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
  • GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll go first.

Best Comedy Series – “Atlanta”

Best Comedy Actor – Donald Glover, “Atlanta”

Best Comedy Actress – Issa Rae, “Insecure”

Best Drama Series – ”The Crown”

Best Drama Actor – Liev Schreiber, “Ray Donovan”

Best Drama Actress – Winona Ryder, “Stranger Things”

Best TV Movie/Limited Series – “The People v. O.J. Simpson”

Best TV Movie/Limited Series Actor – Riz Ahmed, “The Night Of” (maybe the toughest category this year)

Best TV Movie/Limited Series Actress – Sarah Paulson, “The People v. O.J. Simpson”

Best TV Supporting Actor – John Lithgow, “The Crown”

Best TV Supporting Actress – Thandie Newton, “Westworld”

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

Drama:

The Crown, Claire Foy, Bob Odenkirk

Comedy:

Atlanta, Donald Glover, Issa Rae

Tv Movie/Limited Series:

The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story, Sarah Paulson, Riz Ahmed

Supporting:
    Thandie Newton, Sterling K. Brown

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s go with…

Game of Thrones
    Atlanta
    American Crime Story

Rami Malek
    Winona Ryder
    Donald Glover
    Issa Rae
    Courtney B. Vance
    Sarah Paulson
    John Lithgow
    Thandie Newton

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

It seems that there are a lot of really obvious winners.

Of course The Crown wins drama series and an acting award. Of course Atlanta wins comedy series and actor. Of course American Crime Story wins limited series and actress. Of course Issa Rae wins comedy actress as the young hyphenate. Of course Thandie Newton wins because her work is undeniable. Of course they will want to “discover” Riz Ahmed. And I would think that they would want to recognize the comeback of Winona Ryder.

On their own, each of these makes so much sense, but together, there is a huge problem, which is that they all come from either Netflix, FX or HBO. That is three networks. That would be fine if this were the Emmys or Critics’ Choice, but these are the Golden Globes.

How many networks did they award for 2015? Nine. In eleven categories. 2014: eight. 2013: eight. Is Showtime really going home empty-handed for the first time in eight years? What about AMC? What about Starz? What about Amazon? What about the commercial broadcast networks?

To be fair, things are different this year. After nominating five different networks for best drama series in 2013, 2014 and 2015, only three are nominated this year.

Maybe 2012 is a good template, even if Netflix and Amazon were not a thing back then. They only awarded four networks that year, even though they awarded seven in 2011, six in 2010 and six in 2009.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Stranger Things

Rami Malek

Winnona Ryder

Atlanta

Donald Glover

Issa Rae

The People Vs OJ Simpson

Riz Ahmed (Until I change my mind)

Sarah Paulson

John Lithgow

Thandie Newton

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

On their own, each of these makes so much sense, but together, there is a huge problem, which is that they all come from either Netflix, FX or HBO. That is three networks. That would be fine if this were the Emmys or Critics’ Choice, but these are the Golden Globes.

Yes. When I was thinking about these early predictions, that came immediately to mind. But it’s REALLY HARD to picture alternatives for their annual ‘spreading the wealth’ ritual.

Actor – Drama will surely provide something outside of FX/Netflix/HBO.

Anthony Anderson I think has a real shot. Maybe someone will make a point that Epix can win something.

I’d rather not believe it, but The Night Manager could definitely win an acting category.

Your hint at Starz probably means you believe in Riley Keough (I wonder why). I hadn’t thought about it seriously, because Sarah Paulson seems unstoppable. Maybe Travolta is the acting win for O.J., which would be a very HFPA-like pick.

There are also the This Is Us girls, who I take seriously because NBC, but I kinda dismiss because vote-splitting.

Still a month to figure it all out.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by  GusCruz.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I could easily see a world where Chrissy Metz upsets Thandie Newton. She gives a compelling performance and breaks through in a field where it is very hard for overweight people to break through. With all due respect to overweight people and Chrissy Metz, she definitely differentiates from the rest of her nominees and could get votes more for the uniqueness of her character than her herself. That being said, she is a great actress and in my opinion she is very deserving of this nomination. That being said, there is still no way in hell I am not predicting Thandie Newton. I could see Metz winning, but I’m not dumb enough to actually predict it.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Drama
    Series: The Crown (alt. Westworld)
    Actor: Rami Malek (alt. Liev Schreiber)
    Actress: Caitriona Balfe (alt. Claire Foy)

Comedy
    Series: Atlanta
    Actor: Donald Glover (alt. Anthony Anderson)
    Actress: Sarah Jessica Parker (alt. Julia Louis-Dreyfus)

Limited/Movie
    Series: The People v. OJ (alt. The Night Manager)
    Actor: Tom Hiddleston (alt. Courtney B. Vance)
    Actress: Sarah Paulson (alt. Kerry Washington)

Supporting Actor: John Lithgow (alt. Hugh Laurie)
    Supporting Actress: Thandie Newton (alt. Olivia Colman)

ReplyCopy URL
    mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

Winowa Ryder vs Claire Foy is the most competitive race of the acting categories imo. I would include Evan Rachel Wood but with Thandie Newton almost certainly winning the supporting category they’ll probably go for something else.

ReplyCopy URL
    Kurt Ulrich
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Comedy Series
    Atlanta

Best Comedy Actor
    Donald Glover, Atlanta

Best Comedy Actress
    Issa Rae, Insecure

Best Drama Series
    Westworld

Best Drama Actor
    Rami Malek, Mr. Robot

Best Drama Actress
    Claire Foy, The Crown

Best TV Movie/Limited Series
    The People v. O.J. Simpson

Best TV Movie/Limited Series Actor
    Riz Ahmed, The Night Of

Best TV Movie/Limited Series Actress
    Sarah Paulson, The People v. O.J. Simpson

Best TV Supporting Actor
    John Lithgow, The Crown

Best TV Supporting Actress
    Thandie Newton, Westworld

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

I have the same problem with the above, are they going to really award a limited amount of networks? I really doubt that, so my predictions are as follows

DRAMA

Series is The Crown because it seems to have that snob appeal, but they missed out on a nomination for Matt Smith,  so are they really unbeatable? After last year’s inspiring choice of Mr. Robot they might also go that way again, so my runner-up is Stranger Things.

Lead Actor is where they will try to award a different network than the usuals I assume so Matthew Rhys and Billy Bob are out. I don’t think they’ll want to repeat themselves, so Malek is out as well. I think this is Liev Schreiber‘s year so I am going with him, and Bob Odenkirk as the runner-up.

Lead Actress is most probably for Winona Ryder, I don’t think they’ll want to miss out on giving her a trophy for her incredible comeback. Balfe and Russell are the ones that are out of the race for sure, the others have a realistic chance of winning too.

COMEDY

Series is very easy, Atlanta is the new hot thing so I think they’ll go with it. Black-ish might be the runner-up here.

Actor again it seems very easy, giving the new young star a leg. I don’t think they’ll be able to resist awarding Donald Glover, with Anthony Anderson being the ultimate runner-up.

In both cases I’m predicting a repetition of last 2 years.

And for Actress, it is not as obvious as it seems I think. Taking the CW women out of the race because to avoid repeat wins, it leaves 3 women from HBO and 1 from ABC. If Black-ish wins, they won’t award Ross, but if it doesn’t they might try to award the show by recognizing her here. Issa Rae is following the footsteps of the winners of last two years, so she is in with a legit chance but so is Sarah Jessica Parker, she made her return to TV and they have always loved to award her, but Divorce is not as huge as SATC was. Finally, I kinda think this year might be the easiest for Julia Louis-Dreyfus, I don’t know why but I just have this hunch feeling, they want to award her and not nominate her again for Veep. All in all, though, I am predicting Issa Rae to win, with Julia Louis-Dreyfus as the runner-up, this category will be the one I’ll keep changing.

Limited Series – TV movie

is for ACS, and I will be shocked if they choose to go another way. Still The Night Of is my runner-up.

Actor here is tricky but as with Drama Actor in order to award a different network I am going with Tom Hiddleston here. Riz Ahmed might be the runner-up. 

Actress, I hope is as easy as it looks. Sarah Paulson should be winning easily, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they went with Riley Keough.

So what did it make? 2 for Netflix, 4 for FX, 1 for HBO, 1 for Showtime and 1 for AMC. That is 5 networks.

I don’t see them expanding the network number with Christian Slater in Supporting Actor, so I am just going to add 1 more to Netflix with John Lithgow. If Sarah Paulson doesn’t win, then Sterling K. Brown stands a chance at winning here, I wish he was nominated for This Is Us instead.

Speaking of This Is Us, I think Supporting Actress is where they are going to expand to six networks, and award Mandy Moore for the biggest hit of new season. The runner-up is obviously Thandie Newton and if the HFPA doesn’t care about spreading the wealth she will win instead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Lead Actor is where they will try to award a different network than the usuals I assume so Matthew Rhys and Billy Bob are out. I don’t think they’ll want to repeat themselves, so Malek is out as well.

That is the thing though. They unexpectedly awarded Jon Hamm last year for the final season of Mad Men instead of Malek. And winning for a second season after being only nominated the first is not uncommon, particularly in this category. Kevin Spacey got passed over initially because they had to award Bryan Cranston for the final season of Breaking Bad, so Kevin Spacey won his second time out. A couple years before, they passed over Damian Lewis because they were recognizing the comeback of Kelsey Grammer, so Lewis won his second year. Neither Spacey nor Lewis was nominated again, which is also something that could happen with Malek, given the fall that that show has taken. Also, not sure if you are aware, but Billy Bob Thornton is on Amazon.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

That is the thing though. They unexpectedly awarded Jon Hamm last year for the final season of Mad Men instead of Malek. And winning for a second season after being only nominated the first is not uncommon, particularly in this category. Kevin Spacey got passed over initially because they had to award Bryan Cranston for the final season of Breaking Bad, so Kevin Spacey won his second time out. A couple years before, they passed over Damian Lewis because they were recognizing the comeback of Kelsey Grammer, so Lewis won his second year. Neither Spacey nor Lewis was nominated again, which is also something that could happen with Malek, given the fall that that show has taken. Also, not sure if you are aware, but Billy Bob Thornton is on Amazon.

OMG how could I forgot Jon Hamm won over Rami last year, it is embarrassing on all accounts. So I guess they’ll award him and get it over with and Liev Schreiber becomes the JLD of this category?

I am aware but I thought I was giving Amazon a win in Comedy Actor and totally blew it too, it is really late where I live I guess I should sleep, lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

It is so easy to forget because Malek’s win was a foregone conclusion.

I will add that I would say that Chrissy Metz is the likelier This is Us win. She has the sympathy factor on two counts. First is the weight angle because awards voters love to pat themselves on the back. Second is how she racked up a mere seven credits over her ten years in the industry before This is Us, six of which were like one-day roles.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

I will add that I would say that Chrissy Metz is the likelier This is Us win. She has the sympathy factor on two counts. First is the obesity angle because awards voters love to pat themselves on the back. Second is her journey, specifically racking up a mere seven credits over her ten years in the industry before This is Us, six of which were like one-day roles.

I don’t know about this, Mandy Moore is having a great comeback year, so I thought this would be the cherry on top, but yeah you might be right about her too.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.