Home Forums Television RIP Jan Hooks (1957-2014)

RIP Jan Hooks (1957-2014)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

From NY Daily News:

‘Saturday Night Live’ star Jan Hooks dead at 57
    The 57-year-old actress had been struggling with an undisclosed illness, said TMZ, which first reported her death. A versatile performer, Hooks worked alongside some of the ‘SNL’ greats and held her own. She recently had a bit role on ’30 Rock.’

BY 

Jan Hooks, who shot to fame in the 1980s on “Saturday Night Live,” died Thursday, according to reports.

The 57-year-old actress had been struggling with an undisclosed illness, saidTMZ.com, which first reported her death.

Hooks died Thursday morning, the website reported.

A versatile performer, Hooks worked alongside some of the “SNL” greats and held her own.

She was most recognized for her signature skit playing an acid-tongued Southern belle with an improbable twang.

Hooks was on the show from 1986 to 1991 and her co-stars included Chris Farley, Dana Carvey, Mike Myers and Dennis Miller.

She credited colleague Phil Hartman for getting her past her crippling stage fright.

In one of her most popular bits, she played half of the Sweeney sisters with Nora Dunn.

She also did a bang-up job of impersonating Hillary Clinton.

Hooks went on to join the ensemble cast of “Designing Women” and recently had a bit role on “30 Rock.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/snl-star-jan-hooks-dead-57-article-1.1969260 

Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Wait! Wasn’t she on The Simpsons? As Manjula, Apu’s wife? Oh… what is that going to mean for her character? Gulp.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

I LOVED her on Saturday Night Live, I LOVED her on Third Rock from the Sun but I absolutely adored her on The Simpsons. Its such a pity she’s gone, but Jan only appeared in I think six episodes, so its not like her sad death will cause the show to revamp itself. Tress McNeille normally voiced Manjula in recent episodes, but they will probably retire the character out of respect for Jan Hooks. 

She will be missed – what a sad year for comedy this has been. I hope they pay tribute to her this coming weekend on SNL. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

She hasn’t voiced the character since 2002, so I think the character will otherwise be all right.

This is a real stake through the heart. I’d always thought of Hooks as one of SNL’s more underrated gems, and wished she had gotten more work. Her and Phil Hartman were perfect together. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Pieman1994
    Participant
    Topics:

Condolences to her friends and family. She was an amazing performer, and will certainly be missed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

She hasn’t voiced the character since 2002, so I think the character will otherwise be all right.

Really? Who voices her now? I always thought it was still Jan Hooks.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Emmy opening number ever featured Jan:

http://www.myvidster.com/video/9498012/The_Sweeney_Sisters_at_The_Emmys

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Emmy opening number ever featured Jan:

http://www.myvidster.com/video/9498012/The_Sweeney_Sisters_at_The_Emmys%5B/quote]

I have that one on tape and it is from the 1988 Emmy Awards show.  May she rest in peace.  Jan Hooks should have been an Emmy winner from her work on Saturday Night Live.

ReplyCopy URL
    BamaEd
    Participant
    Topics:

I absolutely loved her on SNL. She was so funny and so versatile. She did a great Tammy Faye, Hillary, The Sweeney Sisters. But this is one of my favorite SNL sketches of her. I loved her with Alec in this, but Nora, Phil, and Kevin were wonderful in small parts. Watch and laugh: https://screen.yahoo.com/brenda-waitress-000000407.html

ReplyCopy URL
    Nate
    Participant
    Topics:

So sad. I had been wondering what had happened to her. She hadn’t worked much lately, outside of a couple of 30 Rock episodes and an appearance on an SNL special a few years ago. I thought that she was great on Designing Women too and am amazed at how many great actors from that show have passed away far too young recently (Dixie Carter at 70 a few years ago, Meschach Taylor at 67 this past summer, and now Hooks at 57). She was also great playing off French Stewart on 3rd Rock from the Sun and Martin Short on Primetime Glick. She was one of the few who who could be the funny one and the straight man in comedy and I’ll miss her terribly.

For her SNL legacy, just check out this archive of her work on the show (one of my personal favorites was Marge Keister):

http://snl.jt.org/cast.php-i=JaHo.html

And here’s her film debut in Pee Wee’s Big Adventure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYfjq3ZYZbA 

ReplyCopy URL
    kingofrapmusic17
    Participant
    Topics:

Expect a tribute to her on tonight’s episode of SNL.

ReplyCopy URL
    Fishbiscuit
    Participant
    Topics:

Loved her guest work on 30 Rock but I will always remember her as tour guide Tina from “Pee Wee’s Big Adventure.”

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.