Home Forums Television ROOTS Limited Series to Air in May (Eligible for 2016 Emmys)

ROOTS Limited Series to Air in May (Eligible for 2016 Emmys)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
mafro987
John Kubicek
Chris Beachum
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

NEW YORK, NY – February 11, 2016 – HISTORY® premieres “Roots” on Memorial Day 2016, airing over four consecutive nights at 9 p.m. beginning Monday, May 30, it was announced today by Paul Buccieri, President of A&E and HISTORY. The four-night, eight-hour event series developed by HISTORY, from A+E Studios, is a historical portrait of American slavery recounting the journey of one family and their will to survive and ultimately carry on their legacy despite hardship. “Roots” will be simulcast on A&E and Lifetime, in addition to HISTORY.

The stellar cast includes Academy Award® winners Forest Whitaker (“Fiddler”) and Anna Paquin (“Nancy Holt”); Academy Award® nominee and Emmy Award® winner Laurence Fishburne (“Alex Haley”); Golden Globe Award® winning and Emmy Award® nominated actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers (“Tom Lea”); Tony Award® winner Anika Noni Rose (“Kizzy”); Grammy Award® winner Tip “T.I.” Harris (“Cyrus”); Emayatzy Corinealdi (“Belle”); Matthew Goode (“Dr. William Waller”); Mekhi Phifer (“Jerusalem”); James Purefoy (“John Waller”) and introduces Regé-Jean Page (“Chicken George”) and Malachi Kirby (“Kunta Kinte”).

“’Roots’ will allow new audiences to experience this epic family saga with a new vision that is both incredibly inspiring and tremendously entertaining,” said Buccieri.  “We are proud that HISTORY will be able to bring new life to this incredible story that remains as important today as it did when the original ‘Roots’ first premiered.”

“Nearly 40 years ago I had the privilege to be a part of an epic television event that started an important conversation in America,” said LeVar Burton, Co-Executive Producer. “I am incredibly proud to be a part of this new retelling and start the dialogue again, at a time when it is needed more than ever.”

“Roots” is an A+E Studios production in association with Marc Toberoff and The Wolper Organization, the company that produced the original “Roots.” Will Packer, Marc Toberoff, Mark Wolper, Lawrence Konner, Mark Rosenthal and Barry Jossen serve as executive producers. LeVar Burton and Korin D. Huggins are co-executive producers. Questlove is executive music producer. “Roots” is directed by Phillip Noyce, Mario Van Peebles, Thomas Carter and Bruce Beresford. Arturo Interian and Michael Stiller serve as Executives in Charge of Production for HISTORY.  A+E Networks handles international distribution for “Roots.”

Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Here is a link to the first trailer…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZwaqFhs9fo

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

This can go either way imo. It can end up something like Texas Rising, or dominate the Limited/Movie categories depending on their campaign. Can’t wait to see it though.

ReplyCopy URL
    mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

This cast is ridiculous! This already looks like a lock for Limited Series nominations across the board.

ReplyCopy URL
    Montrell Seay
    Participant
    Topics:

If this is successful, Limited Series will be STACKED this year!   This will probably shape up to be one of the hottest contested Emmys in years for series, actor/actress, supp, writing, and directing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joseph
    Participant
    Topics:

This looks really great, and the Limited Series category as a whole looks really strong. I am trying to fit it in to my Emmy predictions, but I am struggling to see who will be submitted in which category. I tried to match up the characters with where the previous actors were nominated for the original series, but there were different categories back then for ‘single performances in drama series or comedy series’, etc. My guess is that Malachi Kirby will be in Lead Actor, with maybe Emayatzy Corinealdi in Lead Actress? The rest will probably go supporting, with Forest Whitaker, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, and Anna Paquin looking like serious threats for nominations. If anyone has any information, that would be much appreciated.

ReplyCopy URL
    mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

Hey, all the more chance of AHS being shut out this year!

ReplyCopy URL
    Amanda Spears
    Topics:

While the trailer looks amazing there are plenty of stories involving slavery that could and should be made. Why remake a classic? I wasn’t alive when the first “Roots” was made but I was exposed to it and I didn’t need a new version. It’s called a classic because it stands the test of time. Find an original story.

ReplyCopy URL
    John Kubicek
    Participant
    Topics:

This may be a stupid question, but I was looking at the official rules for Hanging Episodes for a Limited Series. Here’s what it says:

“If the majority of the total running time of the episodes/parts of a limited series airs within the current eligibility year and has one or more episodes/parts that fall into the subsequent eligibility year, the “hanging episodes/parts” that are in a contiguous rollout on the same distribution platform join in eligibility the already qualified as eligible episodes/parts of the limited series.”

Since it’s four parts, each at two hours, and the first two parts air in May and the second two in June, do the first two parts qualify as a “majority of the total running time”? Would it literally depend on the actual run times of the four parts? If the first two parts are, say, 84 minutes each and the second two are 85 minutes each, then technically, the “majority” wouldn’t air in this eligibility year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that they play loosey-goosey with the runtimes, so 84 = 85.  So the producers would get to choose.  But as we saw with Texas Rising last year, even when two episodes air in May and three episodes air in June, the Emmys are more than happy to bend their own rules to allow shows to compete where they want.

ReplyCopy URL
    John Kubicek
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks, I didn’t realize that about Texas Rising. Given that precedent where the rule was clearly broken, this one is a no-brainer.

ReplyCopy URL
    mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

Is this the official thread for Roots? I just wanted to bump it with the intention of gaining an understanding of where people are at regarding its award chances?

I like it better than the original- it has far more cultural depth and the performances are almost uniformly good. The critics have reacted positively too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

In my country (Dominican Republic) the original Roots was air several years after the premier in USA, I can’t remember if it was 1981 or 1982 but I remember the premier and it was the only thing people were talking about for days, years later I saw it was one of the best thing i watched on tv at the time.

This new version is quite good but didn’t have a great effect on me, I guess this is the problem with remakes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Incredibly powerful. Performances across the board were amazing. However, the one scene that stuck with me was the one with Anna Paquin.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: ROOTS Limited Series to Air in May (Eligible for 2016 Emmys)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.