Home Forums Television SCREEN TIME 2014

SCREEN TIME 2014

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
Tonbone
dude93
outsider
  • Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Check out my article for analysis on the supporting numbers that are listed below and stay tuned for my pieces about the lead and guest races in the next few days.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series (20/59 minutes on average)
    Mandy Patinkin (Homeland) 26/47 minutes in “Gerontion”
    Josh Charles (The Good Wife): 21/43 minutes in “Hitting the Fan”
    Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad): 21/47 minutes in “Confessions”
    Jim Carter (Downton Abbey): 20/113 minutes in “Episode One”
    Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones): 17/50 minutes in “The Laws of Gods and Men”
    Jon Voight (Ray Donovan): 16/52 minutes in “Fite Nite”

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series (12/55 minutes on average)
    Lena Headey (Game of Thrones): 20/53 minutes in “The Lion and the Rose”
    Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad): 19/47 minutes in “Ozymandias”
    Joanne Froggatt (Downton Abbey): 9/47 minutes in “Episode Two” & 5/92 in Smith’s
    Maggie Smith (Downton Abbey): 9/92 minutes in “The London Season” & 4/47 in Froggatt’s
    Christine Baranski (The Good Wife): 7/43 minutes in “The Last Call”
    Christina Hendricks (Mad Men): 7/47 minutes in “The Strategy”

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series (11/23 minutes on average)
    Fred Armisen (Portlandia): 18/22 minutes in “Pull-Out King”
    Andre Braugher (Brooklyn Nine-Nine): 14/21 minutes in “Christmas”
    Tony Hale (Veep): 13/26 minutes in “Crate”
    Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family): 8/21 minutes in “Message Received” & 6/21 in Burrell’s
    Ty Burrell (Modern Family): 5/21 minutes in “Spring-a-Ding-Fling” & 6/21 in Ferguson’s
    Adam Driver (Girls): 5/28 minutes in “Two Plane Rides”

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series (13/34 minutes on average)
    Anna Chlumsky (Veep): 21/27 minutes in “Detroit”
    Allison Janney (Mom): 16/21 minutes in “Estrogen and a Hearty Breakfast”
    Kate Mulgrew (Orange is the New Black): 15/51 minutes in “Tit Punch”
    Kate McKinnon (Saturday Night Live): 12/65 minutes in “Host: Anna Kendrick”
    Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory): 7/19 minutes in “The Indecision Amalgamation”
    Julie Bowen (Modern Family): 4/20 minutes in “The Feud”

dude93
    Topics:

That Julie Bowen submission was ridiculous. Perhaps worse than all of Vergara’s? Very surprised at her. 4 mins of screen time? Those writers should be shot. Why the hell didn’t she submit the two part finale – she could’ve won with that.

ReplyCopy URL
    jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

Ty Burrell won for a five minute episode submission? Bull****

Give Paul Thomas Anderson an Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

He was also in the episode submitted by Jesse Tyler Ferguson.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

Hey, all those people who said that Chlumsky had a horrible submission, maybe it wasn’t so bad after all.

ReplyCopy URL
    dude93
    Topics:

Chlumsky only had about 2 lines though. And no arc. Her screen time is meaningless, since it refers to all the times she’s standing around in the background glued to her cellphone. 

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

^Staring at her cellphone=ACTING. Emmy please! I’m just joking, but that was all she did in any episode. She had no good submission. Never had an arc. Lucky to be nominated really.

ReplyCopy URL
    dude93
    Topics:

That’s why I keep bemoaning the current state of these supporting categories. Gone are the days of Lisa Kudrow, Doris Roberts, Christine Baranski and Rhea Pearlman, even Cynthia Nixon having full-on arcs and storylines as supporting players. These tapes are pathetic as the actors are barely on fucking screen. They need to bring back the 2 edited episode thing for sure. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tonbone
    Participant
    Topics:

That is why Doris Roberts won 4 EMMYs they gave her major storylines to showcase her range, but in “The Big Bang Theory” Bialik almost never gets a big storyline to showcase her range. Hell even in the train episode which was about her and Sheldon he had more screentime 

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

Thank you for counting the total time for each actor.

I do believe screen time is not indicative of the quality of the performance. For example, Josh Charles had so much screen time in his submission in 2011 but he didn’t do anything interesting or noteworthy. Peter Dinklage had better material, he made you pay attention in his few minutes and ultimately won.

ReplyCopy URL
    CanadianFan
    Participant
    Topics:

The only supporting actresses who had bonafide Emmy tapes were Janney and Mulgrew. How hard would it be for The Big Bang Theory writers to give Bialik a standout tape? 

After all, Jim Parsons seems to have a drunk episode in his contract every year. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tonbone
    Participant
    Topics:

They should just kill two birds with one stone and do an episode where Sheldon and Amy get drunk then they could both win

ReplyCopy URL
    Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

The lack of screen time for baby of these supporting actors is why I show like orange works so well as the women are well represented and honestly supporting actress dominated by women from that show would not be in anyone a crime.

Comedy is always harder for supprting players to shine as they are shorter episodes and leads usually dominate shows which is why supporting actors never get the proper screen time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

They should just kill two birds with one stone and do an episode where Sheldon and Amy get drunk then they could both win

They gave amy her drink episode and it was great but instead Bialik picked the tiara episode and while that is a great moment she just never picks good tapes and like vergara did I would hope voters would drop someone like her as to avoid terrible submissions.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tonbone
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Tony_DiMeo”]They should just kill two birds with one stone and do an episode where Sheldon and Amy get drunk then they could both win

They gave amy her drink episode and it was great but instead Bialik picked the tiara episode and while that is a great moment she just never picks good tapes and like vergara did I would hope voters would drop someone like her as to avoid terrible submissions.[/quote] I remember that now because when I first watched that episode of her getting drunk I thought for sure she would win for that but she submitted an episode she was barely in, and I was like  http://paulocoelhoblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/IsayNO.jpg

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Reply To: SCREEN TIME 2014

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.