Home Forums Television Star Trek: The Next Generation’s Best Drama Series nomination in 1994

Star Trek: The Next Generation’s Best Drama Series nomination in 1994

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Star Trek: The Next Generation became the first and only syndicated television show to ever be nominated for Best Drama Series in 1994. I’m curious to know if this show had a very good chance to win that year and how this surprising nomination might’ve came about.

tennisfreak
    Participant
    Topics:

It basically had no chance between the debut season of NYPD Blue and returning and eventual winner Picket Fences. It had long been a craft category favorite and had it been on network tv would have been a highly rated show. Patrick Stewart went on to pick up a SAG nom for it too. There was a lot of sentiment that it wasn’t fair it wasn’t being given a level shot because it wasn’t network (recall the rules had only recently changed to allow cable and syndicated shows to compete) and it being the farewell season it somehow got pushed over the edge, despite the Academy’s usual aversion to the sci fi genre. Incidentally, of the seven seasons of TNG I found this one the weakest since the first two.

ReplyCopy URL
    Somnambulist
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, it was a sentimental nomination but still pretty surprising. It helped that the competition on the drama side was pretty weak–during the 1993 Emmy telecast, I remember a writing winner (from Homicide I think it was) lamenting the lack of quality drama on the air. What show could have filled the slot that Star Trek: The Next Generation ended up claiming? Homicide had a truncated four-episode second season; L.A. Law had already been dropped and we all know how difficult it is to get nominated in Outstanding Drama Series again after that. NYPD Blue aside, some of the new drama series from the 1993–94 season to get Emmy recognition that year were Fallen Angels (a Showtime anthology series), Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (eegads!), and, finally, The X-Files. The latter would receive an Outstanding Drama Series nomination the following year yet a case could certainly have been made for its inclusion in its debut season. I can’t blame the Academy for taking the opportunity to honor another science fiction series, though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

It deserved it and thank God it got in. I kinda wanted Sir Pat Stew to get nominated as well but that was a long shot. Oh well. I’m happy that it got a nomination. It’s a great series and a great nomination! 

ReplyCopy URL
    BTN
    Participant
    Topics:

No mention of homicide being 4 episodes just “the other cop show” here

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1994-07-22/features/1994203017_1_nypd-blue-outstanding-lead-nominations/2

I wanted to see what made columbo a drama series and it was three TV movies so it was submitted in series

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.