Home Forums Television TCA 2017 Predictions

TCA 2017 Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 228 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • J H
    Participant
    Topics:

Based on MC’s aggregate of t10 lists for 2015 I expected Fargo, Mr Robot, Americans, (Transparent), Leftovers, Master of None, GoT, Better Call Saul, You’re the Worst, Unreal to do well with TCA. All but Transparent did which weirdly went from 4 noms to 0.

So I presume good tidings for Atlanta, Americans, Stranger Things, Saul, Westworld, Night of, Bojack (maybe), Samantha Bee, OJ Made in America if eligible, and This is Us.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

The TCA voting is pretty wonky, and their inclinton to always spread the wealth in recent years has resulted in some weird outcomes. For example, I can almost guarantee that both Stranger Things and This is Us win because they held the zeitgeist so tightly this year, yet they’re both new shows, which means one will probably win new series (most likely This is Us) and one will win Program of the Year (most likely Stranger Things), or vice versa, idk. Either way, it’ll be weird that the winner of program of the year also lost new program of the year at the same time. Unless Atlanta wins program of the year and something else takes comedy. Bottom line though, expect them to spread the wealth. That’s the safest way to predict the TCA’s.

I don’t think Atlanta will win new series because comedy never wins there. I think Starnger Things will win new series and either Atlanta or The Crown will win Program. I don’t think there is room for this is us to be nominated in Drama.

ReplyCopy URL
    dj
    Participant
    Topics:

No it probably won’t be nominated in drama, but its a lock to get a nom for program of the year because that category takes into account cultural impact, buzz, etc. Just like Empire in 2015

• This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by  dj.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

No it probably won’t be nominated in drama, but its a lock for program of the year because that category takes into account cultural impact, buzz, etc. Just like Empire in 2015

can someone explain to me how a show, let’s say empire, could win program and be nominated in Drama and for Henson, but lose best new series to Better Call saul whose only other nom was Odenkirk? If they are both dramas, how is BCS the better new show while empire is the better drama? Ugh

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Program of the Year is on a different track because it does not have “Outstanding” in its title.  An Individual Achievement in Drama nomination is also fairly irrelevant, given that a performance does not make a show.  But yeah, an Outstanding Achievement in Drama nominee losing Outstanding New Program is illogical.

Not sure what would have happened if Orange is the New Black had enough votes in both drama and comedy.  Based on its win and other nomination, I think that we can safely say that it would have been nominated in one genre if they had decided that it was ineligible in the other.

I have This is Us in drama because the broadcast networks always do better than they should at TCA.

ReplyCopy URL
    dj
    Participant
    Topics:

No it probably won’t be nominated in drama, but its a lock for program of the year because that category takes into account cultural impact, buzz, etc. Just like Empire in 2015

can someone explain to me how a show, let’s say empire, could win program and be nominated in Drama and for Henson, but lose best new series to Better Call saul whose only other nom was Odenkirk? If they are both dramas, how is BCS the better new show while empire is the better drama? Ugh

Literally the only explanation is their “spread the wealth” mentality. Like Riley said, there’s no logical reason for it. I mean, BB won Program of the Year in both 2013 and 2014, but lost Outstanding Achievement in Drama both times even though it was the most critically acclaimed drama for those two years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

It makes even less sense with their voting system.  Each voters only gets two nominating votes per category, so everything that is nominated has passion (and everything that is not does not).  It is not like the Emmys now where the nomination might be a bigger hurdle than the win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Stranger Things will win Program of the Year and I hope they nominate Miss Bobby Brown for Individual Achievement in Drama.

I think Lightow will win Achievement tho.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

So I know this isn’t really relevant, but Indiewire had a small critics poll of about 12 voters to vote for the best show currently on TV, and Legion won with 5 votes over the Americans which had 4. This is making me wonder if Legion can suprise and get into the TCAs. I started to get annoyed from it but they gave us an awesome recent episode. If you are annoyed by Legion, watch chapter 7. That shit was awesome. I suspect the critics saw it as well and I think they might go for it. It is a very “critic-ish” show is the it’s peculiarity and confusing plot. It’s basically if Mr. Robot was a superhero.

ReplyCopy URL
    jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it can definitely get into New Program but I don’t think it has the cache yet to make it into Drama or Program of the Year. But then again I have Aubrey Plaza in my BSA predictions currently so I may not be completely un-biased.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I’m also not predicting it in drama or program for TCA yet, but I definatley think Plaza or Stevens will get nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    James Coughlin
    Participant
    Topics:

Program of the Year
    Atlanta
    The Americans
    The Crown
    This is Us
    Stranger Things
    Westworld

Outstanding Achievement in Drama
    The Americans
    Better Call Saul
    The Crown
    This is Us
    Stranger Things
    Westworld

Outstanding Achievement in Comedy
    Atlanta
    black-ish
    Fleabag
    Master of None
    Silicon Valley
    Veep

Outstanding New Program
    Atlanta
    Legion
    The Crown
    This is Us
    Stranger Things
    Westworld

Individual Achievement in Drama
    Thandie Newton, Westworld
    John Lithgow, The Crown
    Keri Russell, The Americans
    Matthew Rhys, The Americans
    Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul
    Claire Foy, The Crown

Individual Achievement in Comedy
    Donald Glover, Atlanta
    Aziz Ansari, Master of None
    Issa Rae, Insecure
    Rachel Bloom, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
    Julia Louis Dreyfus, Veep
    Anthony Anderson, black-ish

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Program of the Year
    Atlanta
    black-ish
    The Crown
    Stranger Things
    This Is Us
    Westworld

Outstanding Achievement in Drama
    The Americans
    Better Call Saul
    The Crown
    This Is Us
    Stranger Things
    Westworld

Outstanding Achievement in Comedy
    Atlanta
    black-ish
    Fleabag
    Mozart in the Jungle
    Transparent
    Veep

Outstanding New Program
    Atlanta
    Legion
    The Crown
    This is Us
    Stranger Things
    Westworld

Individual Achievement in Drama
    Claire Foy, The Crown
    John Lithgow, The Crown
    Rami Malek, Mr Robot
    Thandie Newton, Westworld
    Winona Ryder, Stranger Things
    Billy Bob Thornton, Goliath

Individual Achievement in Comedy
    Anthony Anderson, black-ish
    Donald Glover, Atlanta
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
    William H Macy, Shameless
    Tracey Ellis Ross, black-ish
    Jeffrey Tambor, Transparent

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

PROGRAM: Atlanta, The Crown, Stranger Things, 13 Reasons Why, This is Us, Westworld

DRAMA: The Americans, The Handmaid’s Tale, The Leftovers, Rectify, Stranger Things, This is Us

COMEDY: Atlanta, black-ish, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Master of None, Silicon Valley, Veep

MINISERIES/MOVIE: Big Little Lies, Fargo, Feud, Gilmore Girls, The Night Of, The Wizard of Lies

NEW: Atlanta, The Crown, The Handmaid’s Tale, Stranger Things, This is Us, Westworld

NEWS: The Daily Show, Frontline, Full Frontal, Last Week Tonight, Planet Earth II, Real Time

REALITY: Chef’s Table, The Circus, The Keepers, O.J.: Made in America, Soundbreaking, Survivor

CHILDREN: Anne with an E, Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, Nature Cat, Project Mc2, School of Rock, A Series of Unfortunate Events

HERITAGE: Law & Order, Lost, NYPD Blue, Seinfeld, Star Trek, Twin Peaks

DRAMA INDIVIDUAL: Carrie Coon, Jessica Lange, John Lithgow, Elisabeth Moss, Thandie Newton, Bob Odenkirk

COMEDY INDIVIDUAL: Louie Anderson, Rachel Bloom, Aya Cash, Donald Glover, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Kate McKinnon

CAREER ACHIEVEMENT: Dick Wolf

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like Nicole Kidman’s getting an individual drama nod.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 228 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.