Home Forums Television TCA Awards 2014

TCA Awards 2014

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 146 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
24Emmy
Riley
CanadianFan
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/televistion-critics-association-unveils-nominees-for-tca-awards/

I know it’s so hip and cool to shower Matthew McConaughey with awards nowadays but Tatiana Maslany in “Orphan Black” pwns him so much it’s not even funny. The girl deserves second win in a row. All in all these are some nice nominations.

outsider
    Topics:

I didn’t expect them to announce these so early. It seems the announcement came out of nowhere.

The nominations are quite predictable. The only surpises seem to be Mindy Kaling and “The Mindy Project”. Last year, we had many unpredictable nominations like Tatiana Maslany, Vera Farmiga, Matthew Rhys or Monica Potter.

Here’s something interesting: “Orange Is the New Black” is nominated for Program of the Year and New Program, but it’s not nominated in any genre field, so we have no indication whether the TCA considers it a drama or a comedy.

ReplyCopy URL
    David Buchanan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Thrilled about the recognition for The Good Wife! I know these don’t mirror Emmy nominations and wins, but I do feel more confident about their Emmy chances as a result. I thought we’d see it in Drama, but was unsure that Julianna would get in, and Program of the Year was a really great surprise!

Formerly known in the forums as PianoMann.

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

Wow, I just realized “Masters of Sex” didn’t get any nominations, not even New Program.

And Lena Dunham has been dropped after two nominations. “Girls” never managed to get a comedy series nomination here (or Achievement in Comedy, as they call it).

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

Individual Achievement in Comedy
    Louis C.K., “Louie” (FX)
    Mindy Kaling, “The Mindy Project” (Fox)
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus, “Veep” (HBO)
    Jim Parsons, “The Big Bang Theory” (CBS)
    Amy Poehler, “Parks and Recreation” (NBC)

Individual Achievement in Drama

Bryan Cranston, “Breaking Bad” (AMC)
    Julianna Margulies, “The Good Wife” (CBS)
    Tatiana Maslany, “Orphan Black” (BBC America)
    Matthew McConaughey, “True Detective” (HBO)
    Matthew Rhys, “The Americans” (FX)

Outstanding Achievement in News and Information

“CBS Sunday Morning” (CBS)
    “Cosmos” (Fox)
    “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” (Comedy Central)
    “Frontline” (PBS)
    “60 Minutes” (CBS)

Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming

“The Amazing Race” (CBS)
    “RuPaul’s Drag Race” (Logo)
    “Shark Tank” (ABC)
    “Survivor” (CBS)
    “The Voice” (NBC)

Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming

“Adventure Time” (Cartoon Network)
    “Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood” (PBS)
    “The Fosters” (ABC Family)
    “Sesame Street” (PBS)
    “Switched at Birth” (ABC Family)

Outstanding New Program

“Brooklyn Nine-Nine” (Fox)
    “Fargo” (FX)
    “Orange Is the New Black” (Netflix)
    “Sleepy Hollow” (Fox)
    “True Detective” (HBO)

Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Miniseries and Specials

“American Horror Story: Coven” (FX)
    “Broadchurch” (BBC America)
    “Fargo” (FX)
    “The Returned” (SundanceTV)
    “True Detective” (HBO)

Outstanding Achievement in Drama

“The Americans” (FX)
    “Breaking Bad” (AMC)
    “Game of Thrones” (HBO)
    “House of Cards” (Netflix)
    “The Good Wife” (CBS)

Outstanding Achievement in Comedy

“The Big Bang Theory” (CBS)
    “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” (Fox)
    “Louie” (FX)
    “The Mindy Project” (Fox)
    “Veep” (HBO)

Career Achievement Award

Mark Burnett
    James Burrows
    Valerie Harper
    Jay Leno
    William Shatner

Heritage Award

“Lost” (ABC)
    “Saturday Night Live” (NBC)
    “South Park” (Comedy Central)
    “Star Trek” (NBC)
    “Twin Peaks” (ABC)

Program of the Year

“Breaking Bad” (AMC)
    “Game of Thrones” (HBO)
    “The Good Wife” (CBS)
    “Orange Is the New Black” (Netflix)
    “True Detective” (HBO)

ReplyCopy URL
    Choice Chayawat
    Participant
    Topics:

Mindy Kaling and The Mindy Project for comedy are a real surprise.

No The Normal Heart? Is it a snub or they just didn’t have a chance to watch it before voting?

This is the first time The Good Wife breaks into Program of the Year. And the show is back with the two noms it once had.

Sleepy Hollow in New Program is another surprise. Does the show go over well with the critics?

And Tatiana Maslany continues to rule!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Alienware
    Participant
    Topics:

Not even the critics show any love for Hannibal, how depressing.

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

“The Normal Heart” missing is very interesting. Maybe they didn’t get a chance to watch it, but I think most critics received a screener since they had to write a review quite a few days before the premiere on a holiday weekend.

The TCA nominates non-American productions like “Broadchurch” and “The Returned”, so “The Normal Heart” could have been squeezed out. That’s a great category. I can see them going for those programs before “The Normal Heart”. They also didn’t nominate “Sherlock” which they usually like.

ReplyCopy URL
    Morgan Henard
    Topics:

I know it’s so hip and cool to shower Matthew McConaughey with awards nowadays…

Were you not a fan of his work in Dallas Buyers Club or True Detective? I will agree that Tatiana Maslany does deserve some hardware for Orphan Black. Thankfully, she has two on her mantle – last year’s TCA and TVCCA, along with a Globe nomination – but in a year where Lead Actress is truly bland (outside of Robin Wright), there’s no reason why Maslany shouldn’t at least be nominated. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

If you read my comment you would have known that I consider Maslany to give much superior performance than McConaughey. I didn’t like him in DBC but I liked his TD performance. It’s just that Maslany is miles and miles better than him. Actually she’s better than anyone on television right now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

How are these out already?  They did not come out last year for another two weeks, on June 10th!  I was planning to make a discussion thread in advance.  I am not even ready to read these, so here are the predictions that I had saved on my computer, but had not posted:

Program: Breaking Bad, Fargo, Game of Thrones, Orange is the New Black, True Detective
    New Program: Fargo, Masters of Sex, Orange is the New Black, True Detective, Silicon Valley

Drama Series: The Americans, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, The Good Wife, True Detective
    Drama Individual: Bryan Cranston, Woody Harrelson, Tatiana Maslany, Matthew McConaughey, Robin Wright

Comedy Series: Louie, Orange is the New Black, Parks and Recreation, Silicon Valley, Veep
    Comedy Individual: Louis C.K., Adam Driver, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Amy Poehler, Andy Samberg

ReplyCopy URL
    Morgan Henard
    Topics:

If you read my comment you would have known that I consider Maslany to give much superior performance than McConaughey. I didn’t like him in DBC but I liked his TD performance. It’s just that Maslany is miles and miles better than him. Actually she’s better than anyone on television right now.

Umm….I read it. And I agree with you [regarding if I had to choose McConaughey or Maslany, I would go with the latter]. But I was curious about your “it’s the cool thing to do” to shower McConaughey with awards statements. I thought you were saying that the only reason he has buzz for True Detective is because he’s fresh off of his Oscar win. That’s all… 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

For all I care he can win all the televised awards but not the ones he’s up against Tatiana. That’s all.

ReplyCopy URL
    rp
    Participant
    Topics:

Here’s something interesting: “Orange Is the New Black” is nominated for Program of the Year and New Program, but it’s not nominated in any genre field, so we have no indication whether the TCA considers it a drama or a comedy.

There’s no official category classification at TCA. Each critic can vote for whatever show he or she wants in any category.

It’s likely the comedy/drama confusion was what cost Orange a series nomination – I’m thinking it got some votes for drama series and some votes for comedy series, but not enough to get nominated for either. This may have also cost them an individual achievement nom for Taylor Schilling.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ghost
    Topics:

Surprised to see The Mindy Project pop up, but other than that a solid batch of nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 146 total)
Reply To: TCA Awards 2014

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.