The 2013 Emmy Awards Discussion: Drama Categories

Home // Forums // Television // The 2013 Emmy Awards Discussion: Drama Categories

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 519 total)

This topic contains 518 replies, has 519 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alijah Purdy Alijah Purdy 3 years, 4 months ago.

• Profile photo of Alijah PurdyAlijah Purdy
    Total Topics

Discuss all of the Drama Categories concerning the 2013 Emmy Awards in this thread.

Profile photo of Alijah PurdyAlijah Purdy
    Total Topics

I absolutely love Elementary and Last Resort. Andre Braugher is simply fantastic in Last Resort, and if the show continues to do this good, and ABC keeps it around, we could hear his name called for Drama Lead Actor next year at the Emmy’s.

I am loving Jonny Lee Miller‘s performance in Elementary. The pilot was an Emmy worthy episode for him, and he was great in the second episode as well. This show is by far my favorite new show of the season. I hope the writers give Lucy Liu a great episode, performance wise, soon, because she is great, but its obvious she is not keeping up with the performance of Jonny Lee Miller.

Vegas, however, is not doing as well as I hoped it would be. I hated the pilot (I literally fell asleep during the pilot, and I was watching it at 3 in the afternoon thanks to DVR). I didn’t even bother watching the second episode.

I know it isnt on network TV, but I am also loving Major Crimes, though it is no where near how good The Closer was. Mary McDonnell is no doubt going to have to have a great episode to manage a deserved nomination. My favorite character on this show, surprisingly, is Graham Patrick Martin. He is the best thing performance wise about this series, and he kills it every episode. I didn’t think I would appreciate or like a performance from a teenager this much until I saw this series.

Terence Alfonso Ang
    Participant
    Total Topics

Im not feeling Elementary and Miller’s performance. Of all of these network shows, i think Braugher has the best and only chance at the EMMYS. Still all cable people!!!

My predictions are still Buscemi, Cranston, Daniels, Grammer, Hamm and Lewis for lead actor.

Profile photo of GabrielGabriel
    Participant
    Total Topics

Homeland is so gonna be a perpetual nominee each year. Expect Danes and the Series to WIN again next year.

Profile photo of Tom_ScavoTom_Scavo
    Participant
    Total Topics

The Good Wife is Parks and Rec of the Drama race… I so hope it can get in again next year…

Terence Alfonso Ang
    Participant
    Total Topics

The Good Wife is Parks and Rec of the Drama race… I so hope it can get in again next year…

Me too!!! Game of Thrones or Boardwalk shouldnt be in there!!! 

How long can Homeland pull this off?? Hopefully they have an endgame in sight for this…4 seasons, maybe?

Terence Alfonso Ang
    Participant
    Total Topics

Homeland is so gonna be a perpetual nominee each year. Expect Danes and the Series to WIN again next year.

That will depend mostly on the season finale…even if episodes 1 til 11 is great, but the end wasn’t, there will be a backlash and they wont win again, ever…..people are stupid that way…. 

Profile photo of Alijah PurdyAlijah Purdy
    Total Topics

I wouldn’t be so sure about Danes winning again next  year. The Drama Actress category does not give out alot of repeat CONSECUTIVE wins. In fact, since 1996, only one woman has won the award two years in a row, and that was Glenn Close in 2008 and  2009.

The winners after 1996 were:

1997: Gillian Anderson – The X-Files
    1998: Christine Lahti – Chicago Hope
    1999: Edie Falco – The Sopranos
    2000: Sela Ward – Once and Again
    2001: Edie Falco – The Sopranos
    2002: Allison Janney  –  The West Wing
    2003: Edie Falco – The Sopranos
    2004: Allison Janney – The West Wing
    2005: Patricia Arquette – Medium
    2006: Mariska Hargitay – Law & Order: SVU
    2007: Sally Field – Brothers & Sisters
    2008: Glenn Close – Damages
    2009: Glenn Close – Damages
    2010: Kyra Sedgwick – The Closer
    2011: Julianna Margulies – The Good Wife
    2012: Claire Danes – Homeland

Profile photo of MaxMax 2.0
    Total Topics

IMO, Danes is the best actress or actor working on TV currently. (Sorry Bryan Cranston, Damian Lewis, Julliana Margulies.)

Profile photo of Scott McCullochCobalt Blue
    Total Topics

Even given the track record for the award, I’ve got Claire locked in as the repeat winner right now.   She’s too good, can’t be denied.

Profile photo of Renato MirandaRenaton
    Total Topics

Who is gonna beat Claire Danes? Connie Britton in an ABC soap? Na-ah. Danes has the kind of character that is both awards bait and an instant reference for comparison in impact. Seriously. For the next few years, many characters and performances are gonna be comapred to Carrie Matheson. Unless someone completely unexpected shows up with a even more relevant show and character, she won’t lose. Trends aren’t the only thing that matters. 

Profile photo of Joshua MurrayWaltEagle
    Participant
    Total Topics

Elisabeth Moss with the right episode, if she’s even still a lead, is somebody they could award instead of Danes.  It’s unlikely but more possible than basically anything else.

Profile photo of Izmiriveriver
    Total Topics

IMO, Danes is the best actress or actor working on TV currently. (Sorry Bryan Cranston, Damian Lewis, Julliana Margulies.)

She’s got an Emmy in Drama and an Emmy in Miniseries/TV Movie. It’s not hard to believe, down the line, that she could clinch an Emmy for a role in a comedic series (because she’s that good, IMO).

I’ve got Danes pegged for a repeat win next year.

Anyways, I have my fingers crossed that Maggie Smith does NOT repeat next year. 

Profile photo of Anonymous
    Total Topics

Drama Actor voters from 96-11 were obsessed with repeat actor wins;
    96-99 had a 3x winner, 00-03 had a 3x winner, 04-07 had a 3x winner,
    08-11 had a 3x winner. In the same period we’ve had just Falco on the
    actress side, but perhaps the tide has shifted over and we’ll see a
    string of dominant actresses and more turnover for the actors.

I mean, historically 6 female roles have won 3+ times, and 6 male roles. So it used to be the female category that was uber-repeat happy. Maybe it will be again.

Profile photo of SamanthaSamantha
    Total Topics

It’s been so long since I posted that the forums changed and I had to re-register! I’m from the UK and we are currently in season 3 of Downton. Tonight’s was episode 5 and I’d say Maggie Smith has definitely got her Emmy tape (or at least one of 2 episodes she will submits?) Love Maggie on Downton but I wanted Christina Hendricks or Anna Gunn to win this year. I think however, Maggie was excellent tonight. If she’s nominated again she will be in the running for sure.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘The 2013 Emmy Awards Discussion: Drama Categories’ is closed to new replies.