Home Forums Television The Best of 2013 (So Far)

The Best of 2013 (So Far)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

What have been the best things you have seen on TV during the first half of the year? Post your favorite moments, best single-episode performances, best season-long performances, etc.

probablyROB
    Participant
    Topics:

Justified season long.
    “Decoy” is the best hour of TV I’ve watched.
    Corey Stall gave my favorite season long and episodic (Chapter 5) performance of the year in a Drama.

Will Arnett in Arrested Development gave the best performance in a comedy, followed closely by Jake Johnson (however, Jake’s strongest stuff was in the back end of 2012 I think).

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

Ever since I started watching last year, I find Adventure Time the best television show now. It’s just about the most creative and free thing airing this year. They do some pretty incredible stuff, but being a kid’s cartoon is unlikely to give them as much respect as something like Louie would have, even though it’s just as good. And this past season has been the one with the biggest risks the show took so far.

And the bets episode honor goes to “Hogcock!/Last Lunch”, which was an spectacular finale. But a few others stand out, like Hannibal’s “Amuse-Bouche” and AD’s “Colony Collapse”.

Best performance is the two Hannibal guys, Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen. They compliment and balance each other so perfectly. But they also have a lot of merit on their own. I like the emotional instability and frailty Dancy taps into regularly, and I love the quiet menace and intensity in Mikkelsen.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

Semi-flop thread.

Enlightened, Justified and Southland are my favorite shows so far this year and my favorite shows of the overall season. Laura Dern, Tatiana Maslany, Aden Young, Jake Johnson, Mike White and Will Arnett gave my favorite performances. “Decoy” (Justified), “The Ghost Is Seen” (Enlightened) and “A New Attitude” (Arrested Development) favorite episodes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:
    1. Occasional greatness of Arrested Development
    2. The pairing of Jaime Lannister and Brienne of Tarth
    3. Jon Hamm at the end of “In Care of”
    4. The Americans getting exciting at the end
    5. The casting for Rectify
    ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

Game of Thrones
    Downton Abbey
    Parks and Recreation – Underrated
    Hot in Cleveland – (best season yet….. underrated)
    Enlightened
    Veep
    Behind the Candelabra
    30 Rock
    The Newsroom

The best scene? Obviously The Rains of Castermare scene and like the entire episode of the finale on Enlightened

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

I think my favorite episode was Arrested Development’s Off the Hook.

Shows…
    Enlightened
    Orphan Black
    Hannibal
    New Girl
    Happy Endings 
    The final episodes of The Office 

And on the guilty pleasure side, I decided to add Real Housewives of Beverly Hills to my trashy tv list, I finished season two yesterday, the show has been amazing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teproc
    Participant
    Topics:

Rectify, Hannibal, Tatiana Maslany on Orphan Black and top of the Lake are the big ones for me this year. 

ReplyCopy URL
    RadioGAGAhead
    Participant
    Topics:

Top 7:
    1. Veep
    2. The Good Wife
    3. Shameless
    4. 30 Rock
    5. Girls

Alt: Parks and Recreation 

Can’t wait for Dexter and Breaking Bad!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    elizabethjr
    Topics:

Best Season of TV: The Good Wife. It ended up pulling off an amazing season though it started off rocky.

Best Actress: Amy Poehler. Between the proposal, the wedding, and last few episodes of the season she showed just how versitale of an actress she can be. Her ability to sink into the character of Leslie Knope has always impressed me but this year was her best yet. All one has to do is watch the three minute proposal scene to understand her greatness. Special shout out to Monica Potter as well who was so good in Parenthood. My heart broke every episode because of her.

Best Actor: Will Arnett. Hands down the best part of the new season of Arrested Development and will hopefully walk away with the supporting Emmy. Hugh Dancy was also wonderful.

Writing: Veep and Louie. This needs no explanation.

Most Underrated Season: Parks and Recreation. For a show in its fifth season it is still new, refreshing, and hilarious. The acting and the writing are just getting better. It needed a yearlong storyline but they thought they were only getting 13 episodes so they pulled off a great season under those circumstances.      

ReplyCopy URL
    mikeboy898
    Participant
    Topics:

This was an excellent year for TV- aside from all of NBC’s new flops. Here are some of my favorites:
    -Scandal, Season 2: most notably the electrifying performance of Kerry Washington. She deserves an Emmy, no doubt. While this show has its bumps and is incredibly soapy, the storytelling is great and it never failed to surprise me.
    – Jon Hamm towards the end of Mad Men Season 6. His acting was so subtle to portray how much deep sh*t Don Draper got himself into. Most notably, his performance in “In Care Of” (season finale)
    -The Office episode “A.A.R.M.” (penultimate episode of the series): a true return to form in every single way. Pretty much negated all of the crap that was Season 8 and most of Season 9.
    -Veep, in general. Everything about that show makes me happy.
    -Parks and Recreation Knope-Wyatt wedding episodes, excellent writing and acting.
    -Christina Hendricks  in Mad Men, Season 6 Episode 6 “For Immediate Release”- goose bumps.
    – Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright in House of Cards- hopefully they can grab some Emmy nominations at the very least.

ReplyCopy URL
    unsunganthem
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Jon Hamm’s performance in “In Care Of” from Mad Men
    2. The last 6 episodes of Justified Season 4
    3. Ron Swanson taking calls from Pawnee residents in “Emergency Response” from Parks and Recreation
    4. The series finale of 30 Rock
    5. Elisabeth Moss in Top of the Lake
    6. Louis C.K.’s HBO special “Oh My God” 
    7. The last 8 episodes of “The Americans” Season 1 

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

^YES! on the Jon Hamm and Elisabeth Moss parts! 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: The Best of 2013 (So Far)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.