THE WALKING DEAD Season 6 – 09/11 – Will Andrew Lincoln finally break through?

Home // Forums // Television // THE WALKING DEAD Season 6 – 09/11 – Will Andrew Lincoln finally break through?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 196 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Denis
    Participant
    Topics:

Season 6 of AMC’s acclaimed hitshow will premiere at 11 Oct.

A few months back Hamm said in an interview for MTV that he would be oppened to that but nobody reached to him. 

Mad Men’s Jon Hamm On Whether He’d Join ‘The Walking Dead’ | MTV News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVm6IveazHc

Season 6 Comic Con trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgX1geb4FlA 

Bradley Weir
    Participant
    Topics:

He would be absolutely wasted on that show, You don’t go from one of the most universally acclaimed shows in the history of television “Mad Men”, playing one of the most iconic fictional characters of the century, Don Draper, to going on….The Walking Dead. He needs to be taking steps forward, not back. I’m sure he’ll wait for a new drama project to crop up anyway.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

“Talking Dead” is doing a “Season 6 Preview Special” tonight before the premiere of “Fear the Walking Dead.”

Scott M. Gimple and Jorge Garcia discuss the upcoming season of AMC’s “The Walking Dead.”

ReplyCopy URL
    mikeboy898
    Participant
    Topics:

Literally laughed out loud at the Jon Hamm – Walking Dead thing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Denis
    Participant
    Topics:

So, I don’t read the comics, but people are saying that from now on, Ricky will lose his shit for real, and it is gonna get bad, will that be the final straw for him to get a nomination? His madness in the end of last season, in my opinion already made him nomination worthy, hell when hasn’t he been worth?? Maybe for first 2 seasons only?    

What are you guys take on this?

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Variety’s rave review:

TV
    Review: “The Walking Dead,” Season 6

Courtesy of AMC

September 30, 2015 | 09:01 PM PT

TV Columnist

Brian Lowry

TV Columnist @blowryontv     

Picking
    up where season 5 left off, while embarking on new plots, “The Walking Dead”
    looks very much at the top of its game, with strong character material mixed
    with a massive set piece in the extended premiere made possible, no doubt, by
    its enormous popularity. Blessed and cursed with a vagabond mentality, the
    first episode finds the gang still trying to fit into a gated community, where
    the promise of security is balanced against the cultural clash separating the
    battle-hardened travelers from those sheltered within. Add one familiar face to
    the mix, and it’s a pretty irresistible feast.

Said face belongs to Lennie James, who appeared in the
    show’s early days, an actor who has a way of classing up whatever joint he
    visits. James’ Morgan turned up again at the close of last season, and having
    known Rick (Andrew Lincoln), the square-jawed sheriff, in those days when he
    could honestly proclaim, “We don’t kill the living,” it’s fascinating to see
    the character through his old pal’s eyes. James also has a couple of priceless
    little scenes with co-stars Melissa McBride and Danai Gurira, underscoring the
    gallows humor that’s found in this script from showrunner Scott M. Gimple and
    Matthew Negrete.

Of course, “Walking Dead” features a large ensemble, and
    has a way of shedding them when one least expects it. One of the challenges
    with this current crop is that they’re such a tough group it’s hard to see some
    of the more recent additions succumbing, and as with some of last season’s
    casualties, most fans would likely hate to lose them.

That said, the show has constantly reinvented itself by
    both shifting venues and turning over characters, a formula that has kept the
    program’s soap opera aspects fresh, even if the threat from marauding zombies
    remains continuous. The real treat in this episode, on that score, involves a
    detailed operation deftly chronicled in flashback, cutting back and forth
    between its implementing and planning.

Granted, “The Walking Dead” has a way of front-loading
    its seasons (witness last year’s spectacular escape from Terminus) and wrapping
    them up with major cliffhangers, while meandering a bit—sort of like a you know
    what—in between. What bodes somewhat better this time around is not only the
    return of James but the fact that the main cast can at least initially be found
    in the same place, creating interactions that tend to be lost when the group gets
    scattered. There’s also an intriguing dynamic in Rick especially trying to
    educate the community he’s inherited and its leader (Tovah Feldshuh),
    essentially preaching a maxim from the movie “Wyatt Earp,” in which the hero
    says, “This is a harsh land. It doesn’t suffer fools.”

In a perverse way, AMC’s experiment with spinoff “Fear
    the Walking Dead” only enhances the original, having demonstrated that even a
    zombie apocalypse can be rendered mundane and lifeless by plodding storytelling
    and weak characters. And while the ratings were unsurprisingly good enough to
    justify a renewal, those six weeks in L.A. have likely done nothing quite so
    much as stoke appetites for another gory helping of the real deal.

TV Review: “The Walking Dead,” Season 6

(Series;  AMC, Sun.
    Oct. 11, 9 p.m.)

Production

Filmed in Georgia by Circle of Confusion and Valhalla
    Entertainment.

Crew

Executive producers, Scott M. Gimple, Gale Anne Hurd,
    Robert Kirkman, David Alpert, Greg Nicotero, Tom Luse; co-executive producers,
    Denise Huth, Seth Hoffman, Angela Kang, Corey Reed; supervising producers,
    Matthew Negrete, Channing Powell; produces, Jolly Dale, Heather Bellson, Paul
    Gadd; director, Nicotero; writers, Gimple, Negrete; camera, Michael E.
    Satrazemis; production designer, Graham “Grace” Walker; editor, Dan Liu; music,
    Bear McCreary; casting, Sharon Bialy, Sherry Thomas, Gohar Gazazyan. 90 MIN.

Cast

Andrew Lincoln, Norman Reedus, Steven Yeun, Lauren Cohan,
    Chandler Riggs, Danai Gurira, Melissa McBride, Michael Cudlitz, Lennie James,
    Sonequa Martin-Green, Alanna Masterson, Christian Serratos, Josh McDermitt,
    Seth Gilliam, Tovah Feldshuh, Ross Marquand, Alexandra Breckenridge, Austin
    Nichols

http://variety.com/2015/tv/reviews/the-walking-dead-season-6-review-andrew-lincoln-lennie-james-1201601890/

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I think Jon Hamm would actually be great casting for the character in question. But they rarely go for any type of celebrity. Supposedly said character will no appear until the season finale, so I suppose there is still time to give Hamm and offer. But I doubt it will be him.

Is GoldDerby not doing the prediction contest this season?

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Episode Title: “First Time Again”

Synopsis: Rick and the others have a difficult time assimilating into Alexandria; a
    new threat arises that could bring the group closer together.

Discuss.

ReplyCopy URL
    WaltEagle
    Participant
    Topics:

I actually think Lincoln’s performance has never even been close to worthy. Not horrible, and he has had some good moments, but when I think Emmy worthy I imagine those Chiklis/Hamm/Cranston/McShane lead performances where nearly every scene is crackling. By that measurement Lincoln is totally bottom-of-the-list; I can barely think of leads on serialized dramas who were ever more inconsistent or underwhelming.

Almost half of his big scenes fall flat for me due to his delivery. This show led by Lincoln would be unwatchable if it had lesser supporting actors than Melissa McBride, Seth Gilliam, Scott Wilson, Chad Coleman, Larry Gilliard, Michael Cudlitz, Jeffrey DeMunn, Dallas Roberts, et. al (I also like Jon Bernthal less than most people do, but he’s much better than Lincoln. Norman Reedus can’t deliver lines at all though). I hope he never gets nominated, and for once I expect the Emmys will continue to agree with me on that.

To be clear, I’m not saying the characters of those people I listed are all good. Some of them are bad, and the writers fail to give most of them interesting things to do. I can just tell they’re all strong actors, largely from doing a lot with a little awkward material and also from their other work. Other than McBride, the show is not anyone’s best performance. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Dixon
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I thought the premiere was fantastic! One of the show’s best episodes. What did y’all think?

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

An incredible way to start the season. I completely disagree with Walteagle’s comment re: the acting. I think Andrew Lincoln is doing an amazing job, more than worthy of an Emmy nomination for the past 2 seasons. The acting overall is outstanding, and elevates the material to a deep character drama. Lincoln really shined in his scene with Lennie James, where he realizes his desire to kill Carter so things would be easier. I really admired the way the epsidoe structure allowed for a massive zombie hoarde set piece, while also inserting small scenes of dialogue that were packed with many layers. 

My only complaint is that there was not enough of Should-Be-2-Time-Emmy-Winner Melissa McBride in the episode. Hopefully next week gives us more of Carol scaring children and baking menacing casseroles. Her work the past couple seasons has simply gone above and beyond what most other actors are doing on any TV series. Hey, Emmys! Pay attention! 

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought the premiere was ambitious but unsatisfying.
    The pit explained the lingering questions of how Alexandria survived when so many communities did not.

That stated, the quick and convenient exit of a dissenting voice served as a reminder of how this series once was dangerous, and the life of any recurring character was at risk. After six years, I think the storyline and regular character survival will now be dictated by actors’ contract negotiations.

I am not ready to stop watching, but I do feel The Walking Dead needs something to break the feeling of indifference.

ReplyCopy URL
    mikeboy898
    Participant
    Topics:

Pretty solid premiere! I thoroughly enjoyed the flashback/flashforward premise of the episode.

Pretty haunting last shot as the walkers veered from their initial path as a result of the mysterious honk coming from Alexandria. Also, I thought the Rick-Morgan thing would be more of a feud than what ended up happening. They just talked about their feelings and Morgan held his baby, LOL. Also, Michonne is apparently a peanut butter bar stealer and Morgan is upset about it!

ASIDE: I agree with OnTheAisle about how dangerous and unexpected The Walking Dead used to be in its first 3 seasons. The sudden deaths of Andrea, Laurie, Shane, Hershel, etc (and even Beth in Season 5) were so thrilling and compelling but now that the show has gotten so popular and the actors’ contracts (probably) so full of $$ that they fear killing off anyone, especially in terms of fan loyalty. But the cast is TOO big. Not that I really want anyone to die in the show, but it would make for more interesting and emotional storytelling to kill off someone we care about at least once every few episodes. (*coughFATHERGABRIELcough*). At this point the show is only introducing new characters who aren’t bringing any more added value to the narrative.

Looking forward to the rest of the season and to see what happens with the whole ‘W’ thing. The preview for next week looks like it focuses back on the goings-on inside the walls of Alexandria with Carol et al. YAY!

PS- I LOVE how Morgan essentially called out Carol’s bluff. He knows the game she’s playing (playing the role of the weak caretaker of Alexandria while remaining extremely vigilant, almost cop-like)

ReplyCopy URL
    espnfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Nice season debut.  The premiere featured much of what makes The Walking Dead great, all out zombie carnage mixed in with some quieter, quality character development scenes.  I agree with the above poster who said the premiere was entertaining but not completely satisfying. 

My biggest complaint or concern with the show at the current moment is the cast is just too damn big.  Or TWD is becoming like Game of Thrones, where they have so many characters that most of them barely get truly satisfying storylines on a week to week basis. It feels like many of the characters tend to dissapear for two or three episodes each time they start to get something good.

I like and root for most of the characters on a weekly basis.  But I have a hard time caring for most of them when they get such little character development and screen time.  The show does not need to start engaging in Game of Thrones levels of death and departures, but they need to start making better use of many of the characters they have if they are going to keep them around. 

Overall nice debut and I am looking forward to the rest of the season. 

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I get the “too big” feeling regardingt he cast, but…Im pretty sure most of these new Alexandrians are going to be zombie fodder for that massive hoarde. When they were setting up the walls in the premiere they were to scared to even pick up weapons to defend themselves. I strongly feel there will be a thinning of the herd very soon (and I dont think its the zombie herd who gets thinned).

And yes, Gabriel is absolutely useless to the point where Im not interested in any further attempts to make me “feel” for him, or redeem the character. I dont care.  Tovah Feldshuh said in an interview we will watch Deanna evolve from a leader to a warrior. I hope this involves something along the lines of tossing Father Gabriel off a building and into a pit of walkers. Adios awful one note character! You will not be missed!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 196 total)
Reply To: THE WALKING DEAD Season 6 – 09/11 – Will Andrew Lincoln finally break through?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.