Top 10 PROGRAMS OF THE YEAR (2016) for the American Film Institute

Home // Forums // Television // Top 10 PROGRAMS OF THE YEAR (2016) for the American Film Institute

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

The list was just released:

TV PROGRAMS OF THE YEAR
    THE AMERICANS
    ATLANTA
    BETTER CALL SAUL
    THE CROWN
    GAME OF THRONES
    THE NIGHT OF
    THE PEOPLE V. O.J. SIMPSON: AMERICAN CRIME STORY
    STRANGER THINGS
    THIS IS US
    VEEP

Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

This is Us is becoming the most overrated thing since Boyhood

ReplyCopy URL
    Reis
    Participant
    Topics:

Where is Westworld? LOL

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Golden Globes are next!  But yeah, it is kind of cruising to success on mere decency.  There seems to be an unwritten rule at AFI that there has to be a network drama, even if it comes to including How to Get Away with Murder or Scandal.

Dropped from last year: black-ishEmpireMr. RobotUnREAL

Back in after consecutive snubs: Veep

The Night Of is the first miniseries here since The Pacific. The last movie was Game Change.

ReplyCopy URL
    mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

Where is Westworld? LOL

For some reason the critics just aren’t warming to it. No one in their right mind actually would think This Is Us is better than Westworld (I recently watched a few episodes of the former and it was decidedly average).

ReplyCopy URL
    mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

Golden Globes are next! But yeah, it is kind of cruising to success on mere decency. There seems to be an unwritten rule at AFI that there has to be a network drama, even if it comes to including How to Get Away with Murder or Scandal.

There are and have been so many better network dramas than those over the last few years. So frustrating!

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

It sucks that OITNB isn’t here. I don’t like these noms at all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

No OITNB, westworld, rectify, insecure, outlander. Ugh

ReplyCopy URL
    WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

I disagree with most of the comments regarding This is Us, because it’s deserved it’s place as one of the top 10 shows of the years. Viewers love it and it has an original, well-written story and is able to surprise viewers each week without going over the top.

I would agree that other network shows in recent years are better (The Good Wife, Parenthood, and Friday Night Lights are examples), but we are talking about THIS year.

ReplyCopy URL
    mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

I disagree with most of the comments regarding This is Us, because it’s deserved it’s place as one of the top 10 shows of the years. Viewers love it and it has an original, well-written story and is able to surprise viewers each week without going over the top.

I would agree that other network shows in recent years are better (The Good Wife, Parenthood, and Friday Night Lights are examples), but we are talking about THIS year.

American Crime is a network drama this year that was better than This is Us.

ReplyCopy URL
    WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

American Crime should definitely be this list and it’s a shame it isn’t, and personally I would take out This is Us if it meant American Crime getting in. I think American Crime should have replaced Better Call Saul though, or even People V. OJ, which I think American Crime is far superior.

Though I’ve never considered American Crime a “network drama” but more of a limited series.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by  WildforFilm.
    ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

I think American Crime should have replaced People V. OJ, which I think is far superior.

Though I’ve never considered American Crime a “network drama” but more of a limited series.

A dramatic limited series on a network. People vs OJ was a pop culture touchstone. And a juggernaut at this year’s Emmys.

ReplyCopy URL
    Courtney
    Participant
    Topics:

I personally think This Is Us deserves to be on this list. Not only is part of the zeitgeist and a show that people deeply care about, but it’s actually very good. I think Milo and Sterling are amazing in it and the writing is emotional, but not too cheesy. It’s really hit with viewers and I really love it.

If I had to take one out, I’d take out the Night Of. I think it’s fine on the list because it was a super popular show and John Turturro was incredible in it…but, the writing wasn’t very good. There were so many plot holes and only a few of the episodes were actually great. Most of them were just ok.

ReplyCopy URL
    jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

Dropped from last year: black-ish, Empire, Mr. Robot, UnREAL

Hmm, this is interesting. AFI doesn’t favor network sitcoms (going back, the last one was Modern Family in 2012) but I would have thought it could maybe get in a second year, especially if their devotion to broadcast is so slavish that they chose to go with This Is Us.

On another note, I miss thedemonhog handle :/

ReplyCopy URL
    J H
    Participant
    Topics:

Comedy – Veep, Atlanta

Network – This is Us
    Streaming – Crown, Stranger Things
    Basic Cable – Saul, Americans, OJ, Atlanta
    Premium Cable – Game of Thrones, Night Of, Veep

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
Reply To: Top 10 PROGRAMS OF THE YEAR (2016) for the American Film Institute

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.