What 2013 means for 2014

Home // Forums // Television // What 2013 means for 2014

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

This is a fairly dud-y Emmy year for me. Other than 30 Rock none of the drama or comedy series nominees I thought had better than passable seasons. My personal favorite for every drama acting category was snubbed (Maslany, Braugher, Regina King/Potter, Goggins/Cudlitz). There are also no interesting new contenders this year. So, I’m much more intrigued by what this year’s Emmys mean for 2014. There are some interesting questions.

If Breaking Bad wins Drama Series this year I don’t how it loses it next year. But does someone have a different stance? How much of a hit will its series chances take next year if it loses this year? What if it loses writing and directing as well this year as well?

What’s the most likely comedy series to stop Modern Family next year if it once again wins this year? Do Veep’s chances next year take a hit if it loses all its acting nominations this year?

If Homeland wins a substantial amount of Emmys this year but loses series could it come back to win series next year? Even if it does win series again are voters definitely moving on in 2014?

If GoT wins writing does that mean anything for its series chances in 2014? 

And so forth…

Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

If BB wins next sunday then it have a great chance of repeat next year if it doesn’t win next year it’ll be a distant memory. GoT will have another strong season with greater chances (base on the books) of adding more acting nominations like Lena Heady, Stephen Dillane and Kit Harrington if they delivere. I think the critics against Homeland are way too much exagerated this year and is very likely that the writers correct their mistakes of season 2. Downton Abbey is starting a new season this week so we’ll know very soon if can mantain the quality of the show. I’m interested in know where HoC is going next season. Finally if Mad Men came with a season as weak like the one the produced  this year the show will be drop next year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

How crazy that must be for the same season to win twice…

ReplyCopy URL
    unsunganthem
    Participant
    Topics:

Regarding Breaking Bad, I think that because of all the press done by Gilligan and all prior to the 5.2 premiere and because these episodes airing now are buzzing like a bee hive, there is a very good chance it wins Sunday. If it wins Sunday for a relatively less excellent season than the current crop on air now, it has an even better chance of repeating next year. If it loses Sunday to Homeland or House of Cards, I don’t think that necessarily hurts its chances for winning Series next year. Homeland season two was weaker than season one, but has submitted great tapes for consideration in the Series category. House of Cards could win simply because of the Netflix factor, not necessarily because it’s the best show. I think another series beating BrBa Sunday does not equate to BrBa not winning next year. The same holds true for the actors of BrBa. Cranston, Paul, and Gunn could all lose Sunday night, but are the very early favorites for next year. I’d imagine the time between now and next year’s Emmys will not hinder their shot at nods and wins. Hell, it didn’t hurt them this year. Why should it hurt them next year?

ReplyCopy URL
    Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

The diference is that this year they’re airing new episodes that’s why season 5.1 was fresh in the memory of everyone, something similar to what happened with Mad Men early on their winning years. Next year BB will be long gone.

ReplyCopy URL
    unsunganthem
    Participant
    Topics:

Fair enough, but the Season 3 finale of Louie was September 27, 2012 and it still reaped nods and wins. I think 5.2 of BrBa will still be very much in the minds of voters next year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I think something that happens with Tyrion next season will be enough to snatch at least one award from Breaking Bad. In theory it should be more exciting than any single event that’s happened so far on BB’s season, though of course that’s not over yet.

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

^^^ It will be exciting, but I think to say it will be more exciting than “any single event” in Breaking Bad’s season is going a little too far LOL.  Breaking Bad as a show has achieved greatness.  I don’t feel Game of Thrones has yet.  I’m hoping the show can reach that level or get close in its next season, winning Emmys is much less important to me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Graeme O’Neil
    Topics:

If BB wins next sunday then it have a great chance of repeat next year if it doesn’t win next year it’ll be a distant memory.

I actually completely disagree. If BB wins Sunday, its chances won’t increase to win again next year. I won’t necessarily say its chances will lessen, but the fact that it would have won and the show would have been off-air for so long at that point, it might struggle to get momentum to pick up another win.

If it loses on Sunday, then there will be a huge outcry and it’ll be a huge frontrunner to win next year.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

I disagree. If voters show that they’re willing to go for it this year there’s no reason for it to lose next year. There might be an outcry for it to win next year, but long running shows rarely wins series for the first time in their last season (has it ever happened?). And no matter how much the critics cry out voters aren’t gonna give series to a show they’re feeling. Winning series this year proves that enough voters have warmed up to show and gives it all the momentum for next year. If it wins series this year it makes a lot more sense for it to win next year than voters returning to Homeland or Mad Men. It loses series this year and it makes things more complicated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Denis
    Participant
    Topics:

Homeland is winning this year, I have a crystal ball. No wait,this is the emmys, no crystal ball needed.   And jesus, jesus I hope Im wrong.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

This is a fairly dud-y Emmy year for me. Other than 30
    Rock none of the drama or comedy series nominees I thought had better
    than passable seasons.

I do not know that I would go that far,
    but a number of things have drawbacks this year.

My
    personal favorite for every drama acting category was snubbed (Maslany,
    Braugher, Regina King/Potter, Goggins/Cudlitz).

I got one out of
    four (Andre Braugher, Tatiana Maslany, Jonathan Banks, Jennifer
    Carpenter).

If Breaking Bad wins Drama Series this year I
    don’t how it loses it next year. But does someone have a different
    stance? How much of a hit will its series chances take next year if it
    loses this year? What if it loses writing and directing as well this
    year as well?

As I just commented in the Breaking Bad
    thread, it could lose all three of those top categories and it would
    still be a lock to win drama series next year.

What’s the
    most likely comedy series to stop Modern Family next year if it once
    again wins this year? Do Veep’s chances next year take a hit if it loses
    all its acting nominations this year?

Modern Family has just enough steam to win this year.  Even if nothing rises next year, I think that the Modern Family train has stopped.  Given its Emmy upswing and critical support, I think that Louie is the most likely next year at this early stage, although I need to watch Orange is the New Black.  From the first reviews, it looks like The Michael J. Fox Show is not the contender that we expected.  Veep is not happening.  It could not win casting and has missed writing and directing, despite something like Episodes
    getting in, among other things that should have been working in its
    favour.

If Homeland wins a substantial amount of Emmys
    this year but loses series could it come back to win series next year?
    Even if it does win series again are voters definitely moving on in
    2014?

Breaking Bad is winning next year.  After that, it will have been too long since Homeland
    last won and there will hopefully be better shows on by that point, so I
    think that this is its last true chance at Outstanding Drama
    Series.

If GoT wins writing does that mean anything for
    its series chances in 2014?

2014 is occupied, but I can see Game of Thrones
    winning at a later date, like in 2015.  The buzz and ratings for this
    show should only grow next year and their acting nominations should
    further expand.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: What 2013 means for 2014

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.