Home Forums Television What do you think of “the 2012 Emmy Women”? (w/ Blog by Marlo Thomas)

What do you think of “the 2012 Emmy Women”? (w/ Blog by Marlo Thomas)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
Lj Elffman
dannyboy.
Riley
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

Just wondering what people thought of the female nominees and expected winners this year.  Are there any that didn’t make it?  Any you wish would win but know won’t? etc, etc, etc.

Obviously I’m rooting for Jessica Lange in “American Horror Story: Murder House” for Best Supporting Actress in a Mini/Movie.  It’s a shame Lily Rabe and Taissa Farmiga didn’t get any love this year for AHS: Murder House, because both were excellent and nom-worthy in their roles.  I’m also rooting for Julianne Moore for Best Actress in a Mini/Movie.  Also, Lena Dunham deserves Best Actress in a Comedy Series for her nuanced and hilarious work on “Girls” (“…It’s like you’re going to hit us. Don’t Hit Us.” ).  I also thought Zosia Mamet was hilarious.  Claire Danes should take the prize for Best Actress in a Drama Series for her brilliant work on “Homeland” (I totally related to this character; Jessica Lange = a green pen for me, lol).  

That’s it for now.  What women do you pick for your nominees and wins and why.

Now, pay attention to Marlo:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marlo-thomas/the-2012-emmy-women-great_b_1890135.html 

Award-winning actress, author, and activist

The 2012 Emmy Women — Great Roles, Killer Performances

I’ll never forget Jean Stapleton’s first appearance as Edith Bunker on the classic TV series, “All in the Family.” I was watching the premiere episode and was captivated. Here was a character who was constantly being belittled by her bigoted husband, Archie — and, frankly, she didn’t seem very smart. Yet the more Edith appeared on screen, the more it dawned on me that not only was she smarter than Archie — she was wiser. And she was consistently, pitch-perfectly, funny.

Stapleton would go on to win three Emmys and two Golden Globes during the show’s seven-year run, and along with that, the hearts of TV fans across the country. It was one of those rare acting jobs in which the actor beautifully, almost miraculously, aligned with the role — the same kind of magic that made us eternally love Lucy. And Laverne and Shirley. And all four of the Golden Girls.

As we approach this week’s Emmy Awards telecast, I am delighted to see this kind of lightning-in-a-bottle alignment being celebrated again — and, amazingly, it’s not just for one show or one role. Across the entire Best Actress and Supporting Actress categories, from drama to comedy to miniseries, we are witnessing some of the most outstanding performances television has seen in years — so dynamic, in fact, that predicting a winner in some of the categories has become almost impossible.

The immeasurably talented Maggie Smith is going for her second consecutive Supporting Actress Emmy for her turn as Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham in “Downton Abbey” — and no one would be surprised if she scored the repeat win. Her exquisite combination of haughtiness and heart — no small feat to pull off — is one for the record books.

Then there’s Julianne Moore as Sarah Palin in the TV movie “Game Change.” Like everyone else in America, I witnessed the wild pyrotechnics that accompanied the real-life Palin’s emergence in our political culture — from the nightly news clips to Tina Fey’s hilarious send-up. So I wondered how Moore’s spin as the former Veep candidate was going to make us forget Fey’s parody, and give us an inside peek into Palin herself — from her signature dauntlessness to her secret insecurities. Moore did just that, logging in a performance that is truly Emmy-worthy.

Julianne isn’t the only film veteran vying for TV’s golden statuette this year: Glenn Close (“Damages”) and Kathy Bates (“Harry’s Law”) are facing off for the Best Dramatic Actress Emmy, while Jessica Lange (“American Horror Story”) and Judy Davis (“Page Eight”) are competing in the Supporting Actress in a Miniseries category. All four performances remind us of why these actresses are regularly in the audience at the annual Oscar awards.

The comedy category, meanwhile, is dear to my heart — and this year, it’s got a great field. From previous winners Tina Fey (“30 Rock”), Edie Falco (“Nurse Jackie”) and Melissa McCarthy (“Mike & Molly”), to first-time-hopefuls Amy Poehler (“Parks and Recreation”), Zooey Deschanel (“New Girl”) and Lena Dunham (“Girls”) — to the comedic maestro herself, Julia Louis-Dreyfus (“Veep”) — these women have provided TV viewers so many laughs over the years that it’s almost a shame to have to pick a single winner.

But regardless of who you’re rooting for, let’s give three cheers to this unprecedented pack of terrific actresses in killer roles. Like the Ediths and Lucys and Golden Girls before them, they are not likely to fade from our memory.

Here’s a look at some of this year’s hopefuls — along with a few actresses we wish had been nominated (Kyra Sedgwick? Hello? She’s our female Columbo!). I’m sure you’ll agree that, the envelope notwithstanding, all of the nominees have already proven themselves winners. Enjoy! 

Anonymous
    Topics:

I would love to see Frances Conroy winning the Emmy over Lange. I mean at least Conroy was supporting not co-lead as Lange.

I admire Lange in AHS but it’s not her category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I would love to see Frances Conroy winning the Emmy over Lange. I mean at least Conroy was supporting not co-lead as Lange.

LoL, let’s get real. No one thinks Lange was a lead in “American Horror Story”.  She was billed last (after Denis O’Hare) and she was only on 5-10 minutes an episode.  That being said, I would think it well deserved and be very happy if Conroy took the award.  It would obviously be for both her work on AHS: Murder Houe and Six Feet Under, but I’d cheer her on happily. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Lj Elffman
    Topics:

She was given the and credit, which is the most prestigious.

ReplyCopy URL
    dannyboy.
    Participant
    Topics:

Lange was borderline Lead, no question, especially her per episode screentime progressed as the season went along. Frances Conroy should have been given more heavy lifting to do in AHS.. She did wonders with the material she did get. I would have loved for Lily Rabe to have been included somehow as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

The “and” credit and last-billed are very different.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

LjElffman and thedemonhog:

Didn’t know that about the “and” credit. Thanks for letting me know!  I mean, now that you both mention it, I remember knowing that like one of those facts that sort of fades but remains there somewhere?  Anyway, thanks for reminding me/letting me know!  

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: What do you think of “the 2012 Emmy Women”? (w/ Blog by Marlo Thomas)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.