Home Forums Television What if … The Modern Family adult cast went lead? Or what would happen if they went lead in 2013?

What if … The Modern Family adult cast went lead? Or what would happen if they went lead in 2013?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Awardzilla
    Participant
    Topics:

Hi all,

I’ve been thinking of raising this question for some weeks now, so here goes: If the cast of Modern Family, since 2010, had submitted themselves in lead actor/actress in a comedy series, who would have been nominated, who would have won? Which other shows would have been snubbed in the lead acting categories, and who would have benefited in the supporting actor categories.

Also, what would the race look like this year if all the actors leaped up? Would the kids have a shot at nominations? Which other shows would get in?

Here’s some info of the nominees and winners of the past 3 years in the comedy categories to help:

Lead Actor
    Jim Parsons
    Steve Carell
    Alec Baldwin
    Larry David
    Matthew Morrison
    Tony Shalhoub
    Lead Actress
    Edie Falco
    Toni Collete
    Tina Fey
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus
    Lea Michele
    Amy Poehler
    Supporting Actor
    Eric Stonestreet
    Ty Burrel
    Chris Colfer
    Jon Cryer
    Jesse Tyler Ferguson
    Neil Patrick Harris
    Supporting Actress
    Jane Lynch
    Julie Bowen
    Jane Krakowski
    Holland Taylor
    Sofia Vergara
    Kristen Wiig

Lead Actor
    Jim
    Parsons
    Steve Carell
    Alec Baldwin
    Louis C.K
    Jonny Galecki
    Matt LeBlanc
    Lead Actress

Melissa McCarthy
    Edie Falco
    Tina Fey
    Laura Linney
    Martha Plimpton
    Amy Poehler
    Supporting Actor
    Ty Burrel
    Chris Colfer
    Jon Cryer
    Jesse Tyler Ferguson
    Ed O’Neill
    Eric Stonestreet
    Supporting Actress
    Julie Bowen
    Jane Krakowski
    Jane Lynch
    Sofia Vergara
    Betty White
    Kristen Wiig

Lead Actor
    Jon Cryer
    Alec Baldwin
    Louis C.K
    Don Cheadle
    Larry David
    Jim Parsons
    Lead Actress

Julia Louis-Dreyfus
    Zooey Deschanel
    Lena Dunham
    Edie Falco
    Tina Fey
    Melissa McCarthy
    Amy Poehler
    Supporting Actor
    Eric Stonestreet
    Ty Burrel
    Jesse Tyler Ferguson
    Max Greenfield
    Bill Hader
    Ed O’Neill
    Supporting Actress
    Julie Bowen
    Mayim Bialik
    Kathyrn Joosten
    Sofia Vergara
    Merritt Wever
    Kristen Wiig

Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Ty Burrell, Julie Bowen and Ed O’Neill are the only people who could be lead on the show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardzilla
    Participant
    Topics:

Here’s what I think would have happened:
    – Some of the lead actor vets like Tony Shalhoub and Larry David would have gone earlier
    – You wouldn’t see people choosing lead over supporting, so Jon Cryer would have stayed put
    – The Cable dramadies would not have took off so well, perhaps they’d submit in drama series, like The Big C.

Lead Actor
    Jim Parsons
    Steve Carell
    Alec Baldwin
    Larry David
    Ty Burrel
    Eric Stonestreet
    Lead Actress
    Edie Falco
    Toni Collete
    Tina Fey
    Lea Michele
    Amy Poehler
    Sofia Vergara
    Supporting Actor
    Chris Colfer
    Jon Cryer
    Neil Patrick Harris
    Tracy Morgan
    Nick Offerman
    Rainn Wilson
    Supporting Actress
    Jane Lynch
    Jane Krakowski
    Holland Taylor
    Merritt Wever
    Vanessa Williams
    Kristen Wiig

Lead Actor
    Ty Burrel

Steve Carell
    Alec Baldwin
    Louis C.K
    Jim Parsons
    Eric Stonestreet
    Lead Actress

Julie Bown
    Edie Falco
    Tina Fey
    Melissa McCarthy
    Amy Poehler
    Sofia Vergara
    Supporting Actor
    Nick Offerman
    Chris Colfer
    Jon Cryer
    Neil Patrick Harris
    Danny Pudi
    Rico Rodriguez
    Supporting Actress
    Betty White
    Jane Krakowski
    Jane Lynch
    Wendy Malick
    Merrit Wever
    Kristen Wiig

Lead Actor
    Eric Stonestreet
    Ty Burrel
    Alec Baldwin
    Louis C.K
    Jesse Tyler Ferguson
    Jim Parsons
    Lead Actress

Julia Louis-Dreyfus
    Zooey Deschanel
    Julie Bowen
    Edie Falco
    Tina Fey
    Amy Poehler
    Sofia Vergara
    Supporting Actor
    Max Greenfield
    Jon Cryer
    Donald Glover
    Bill Hader
    Jake Johnson
    Nick Offerman
    Supporting Actress
    Kristen Wiig
    Mayim Bialik
    Kathyrn Joosten
    Jane Krakowski
    Merritt Wever
    Betty White

ReplyCopy URL
    nahborghi
    Participant
    Topics:

In this year’s emmy, if they go lead, I can see Julie Bowen getting in (Zooey Deschanel out). Idk about the guys.
    But that’s not gonna happen, they won’t change in a team that’s winning (a lot). 

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

Modern Family will always be remembered as the show that prevented TV’s greatest supporting comedy actors from getting nominated. The great work from Rainn Wilson, Nick Offerman, Donald Glover, Jason Segal and Neil Patrick Harris were all overlooked due to Modern Family’s preposterous hold over the category, when only Ty Burrell, Jesse Tyler Ferguson and in the first season only Eric Stonestreet have deserved nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t forget Danny Pudi! 

ReplyCopy URL
    TV12
    Participant
    Topics:

^Please make sure you denote your next barrage of insults at MF as opinionated. A lesser mind might take your post as fact when it is clearly skewed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Modern Family will always be remembered as the show that prevented TV’s greatest supporting comedy actors from getting nominated. The great work from Rainn Wilson, Nick Offerman, Donald Glover, Jason Segal and Neil Patrick Harris were all overlooked due to Modern Family’s preposterous hold over the category, when only Ty Burrell, Jesse Tyler Ferguson and in the first season only Eric Stonestreet have deserved nominations.

It’s a little unfair to purely blame Modern Family for the omissons of all of these actors. Offerman, Pudi and Glover I understand (though I’m unsure if Glover or Pudi would have earned nominations regardless, given the voters’ ambivalence toward Community as a whole), but The Office and How I Met Your Mother had been on the air for quite a while by the time Modern Family had been on, allowing Harris and Wilson ample time to earn wins (and Segel enough time to earn a nomination).

If anything, Jeremy Piven and Jon Cryer are more to blame for their lack of wins than Modern Family. Harris was considered a prime candidate for a win in 2008 and 2009, but was bested each time (even when his show had been nominated for Best Series in 2009 over Two and a Half Men), and by 2010 buzz for his winning had definitely diminished. Wilson’s character was at his prime from 2006-2009, but gradually became more of a caricature after that. And if Segel couldn’t earn a nomination up through 2009, I doubt that he would have had much support for a nomination after that.  

ReplyCopy URL
    deccahm
    Topics:

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the cast submitted in lead for 2013. I’d be intrigued to see which lead nominees would get cut, and what slots would open up for other contenders in the supporting categories. 

Would there be a similar voter reaction to Friends category change in 2002? No-chancers Matt LeBlanc and Matthew Perry finally get in, and perennial nominee Lisa Kudrow getting snubbed. 

I think Bowen, Burrell and Stonestreet would all be relatively safe. Vergara a possibility. O’Neill and Ferguson would have little chance.

But when all is said and done, I think they are best suited to supporting categories. This is where they should all stay.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Graeme O’Neil
    Topics:

Agreed. If they all went lead, every year we would say for their submission, “they don’t have enough screentime to win”. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

True. I recently wrote in another thread that it’s unfair that they dominate the supporting field so heavily but on the other hand putting them against leading contenders wouldn’t be exactly fair either. It would certainly create some kind of odd situations with only, say, Burrell and Bowen nominated in the Lead and maybe all the children nominated in Supporting. 

If NPH ever had a chance to win, it was 2009. He was a host and momentum was all his. And then he was still nominated in 2010 over snubbed Ed O’Neill and finally won for all the other projects (hosting Tonys, “Glee”) as a good way of saying “sorry you lost last year, it’s your time to win something”. And “How I Met Your Mother” isn’t exactly the most beloved show either, at least in terms of recognition. 

I think that without “Modern Family” guys showing up, we would have another showings from Jack McBrayer, Tracy Morgan and Rainn Wilson. But to be fair 2 slots are still open and last year they didn’t go to any of them but to 2 newcomers of this category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

The cast of “Modern Family” should stay in the Supporting Comedy categories.  If it’s not broke, then don’t fix it.

ReplyCopy URL
    deccahm
    Topics:

If NPH ever had a chance to win, it was 2009. He was a host and momentum was all his. And then he was still nominated in 2010 over snubbed Ed O’Neill and finally won for all the other projects (hosting Tonys, “Glee”) as a good way of saying “sorry you lost last year, it’s your time to win something”. And “How I Met Your Mother” isn’t exactly the most beloved show either, at least in terms of recognition.

Agreed. NPH had plenty of opportunity to win for HIMYM. It can’t be blamed on the Modern Family factor.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

The cast of “Modern Family” should stay in the Supporting Comedy categories.  If it’s not broke, then don’t fix it.

Not only that, but they’re going to get killed in the Lead categories. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Rexy Jolly
    Participant
    Topics:

You resentment is misplaced. Had you blamed Jon Cryer, you would have made much more sense.

Now I wish the Modern Family guys get to win some more. 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.